AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of designing a custom wall-type unit for my family room. It will become a "media wall" with cabinet/racks for equipment, top soffit for drop down screen and lighting, open shelving, floor storage cabinets, an opening for a tube tv, and "boxes" for my speakers.

Background:

Right now I have a bare wall, 12'x8'. My front speakers are floorstanding paradigm studios. My thought was to design the wall unit to include left and right "floor cabinets" into which the speakers would be placed. This would/may violate proper spacing with regard to driver distance from the back and side walls. The cabinets that the speakers will be in will have "doors" on them with acoustically transparent covers.

Question:

Is there a way to acoustically treat these floor cabinets so they don't resonate and alter my front speaker sound?

For clarity I have posted a rough line drawing with top and front views. It clearly shows speaker placement inside wall unit, etc.

Any advice and/or comments greatly appreciated.

TIA,

-Anders.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You can build them so they don't resonate much but you will never stop it totally. Also, any time you put speakers in a cabinet like that, you WILL change their sound. Those speakers have a thin profile for a reason - minimize baffle diffraction.

What you will mess with more than anything else is the high frequencies and also seriously mess up their imaging properties. It would basically sound and image the same as putting the speakers flush with the cabinet but on the outside. NO center image. If you only do HT and don't care about 2 channel imaging, no problem.

If you want both, maybe consider building out the wall to enclose the cabinet and leave the speakers out front.

Really depends on what you want. Hate to burst your bubble.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
Really depends on what you want. Hate to burst your bubble.
Not at all. Comments/advice is what I'm looking for good or bad.

I had thought about designing the wall unit to not enclose the speakers, and may still go with this. Another option would be for me to build in some Triads, but that involves unplanned $$ (love this hobby :).)

I think I will draw up 2 plans for myself to mull over. One enclosing the speakers, and one not. Maybe a quick 3d model to visualize.

any other comments (from construction veterans or otherwise?)

thanks,

-anders.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
The physical cavity containing the speakers will need to be completely filled with an open cell foam product or similar. This will prevent the cavity from acting like the body of guitar...something you don't want. In the process, place some of that foam under the speaker and be cautious of any ports on the speaker....those cannot be blocked.

The next issue you'll need to contend with are boundary effects. These will affect the tonal characteristics of the speaker (and will affect any speaker) and are a function of the speaker's proxmity to a boundary (wall, cabinet, front of your RPTV).

With a properly designed cabinet, these effects can be entirely, or almost entirely, elminated.

The effect you'd experience with your current course is the same as sticking your head in a cardboard box and talking (movies) or singing (music). Notice the box doesn't care if you're talking or singing ... it mucks the sound up anyway. So, once the sound is mucked up, it's mucked up. It doesn't "unmuck" just because it likes the movie you're watching :)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Where are you putting the center channel in this design?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
Where are you putting the center channel in this design?
Center will go just below the bottom of the screen when it's pulled all the way down. Drawing does not show it right now...but hey, this is just a rough sketch right now. From the comments so far, I know I've got some homework to do to get this right.

thanks,

-anders

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KRK
We placed our floor standing full-range speakers into a "Media Wall" in almost an identical arrangement, and are thoroughly satisfied with the way they sound.
Do you have any pictures of what your setup turned out like?

-anders.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like we have, or will have, very similar setups. I say will have because I'm moving into the house in two weeks and am in the AV design and purchase phase now. But I will have:

studo 100s up front, each either (a) in an open 2' wide X 5' tall X 2' deep open space within the overall cabinet structure, or (b) in a similarly sized "closed behind a speaker door" cabinet door. My first thought was (a), since I wanted to look at the speaker and because I thought it would be best to let it "breathe". However, after talking to some folks and thinking thru things a bit, I'm going to go with (b) instead. I plan on having the 100s sit on the floor in the cabinet cavity space, with grills off, pushed as far forward in the cavity, flush up against cabinet doors covered in speaker cloth, with foam filling up the rest of the cavity. Although I won't see the speaker anymore (negative for me, positive for my wife!) it seems this is the best sonically. At least I hope so. Side benefit is I save some bucks by not getting the real wood venier versions of the 100s.

I'm also planning dual servo-15s below the equipment racks. Might be overkill but what the heck. For the rears I again compromised in favor of asthetics and room geometries. I'm going with 6.5 " ceiling speakers since I don't have side walls to mount dipoles or bipoles on. I plan on using 3 of the the SA 15Rs in a 6.1 setup.

What are you doing for the video? I'm planning on the 40" sony in the cabinet for normal viewing, with a drop-down Stuart greyhawk or firehawk screen and FP for movies and special events. Leaning towards the new Marantz 16X9 unit based on reviews and what I've seen of the competition so far.

What do you think? Want to swap stories along the way?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in the cabinet planning stage. My equipment right now is Studio 100s fronts, CC center. Sides and rears are DIYs right now, but that may change.

Processing provided by MC-1, speakers driven by Sherbourn.

My cabinet will look unassuming I hope. It will be able to house a normal TV (maybe up to 40inch.)

For the screen I was thinking of a Da-Lite manual pulldown.

As this thing progresses I'll post some pics and stories :)

-anders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.