Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I figured I'd ask here because I am sure with the knowledge of some of you guys, I'll accomplish what I need.

Basically I have a small space that doesn't call for floor standing TVs. I purchased a Panasonic Plasma screen that I hope to use in a unique way. I have one wall seperating my bedroom area from the living room area. The goal is to be able to mount the plasma in a frame in the wall (exactly the depth of the wall), and have it rotate 180 degrees between rooms as needed. Seems simple enough (a buddy offered to help), and luckily I have access to lots of metal workers who were able to weld the frame for it.

But here is the catch, I want it to be motorized and control via RF remote (preferably universal). When activated the frame should rotate 180 degree one way, then, when needed, 180 degrees back the other way.

I understand I'll need a motor and an rf receiver board. My question is, is there anything else I need, and what would the place to go to buy the parts? Or know of someone in the New York City area that has experience with these types of installations that I could go to? Or possibly a ready made solution?

Any insight is appreciated.

Mike V.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll do one better with video when its complete. I have some engineers here who are trying to figure out, but I figured who better to ask then theater guys. They are planning to mount the motor above the frame in the wall. I don't think I'll have heat problems since it will only be on for a few seconds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfknmikv
I'll do one better with video when its complete. I have some engineers here who are trying to figure out, but I figured who better to ask then theater guys. They are planning to mount the motor above the frame in the wall. I don't think I'll have heat problems since it will only be on for a few seconds.
This is among the cooler ideas that I have read about on the board. I am eager to hear how it turns out. Done right with the right remote and remote extender, you could hide all the equipment and just have the same remote (or one for each room) that is the only evidence.

Also, have you considered what the room that is looking at the back end of the TV will look like? if you are going to do one motor with rotating, why not another to lower something into the "empty" frame, like a picture or painting?

Just adding to an already over-the-top idea.

JS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got it. Some sort of picture, or most likely it will be a sheet metal retro sign (think old coca-cola sign) cut to size. I live in a loft style condo.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Using a tubular motor comes to mind. These are available with remotes. They are used for everything on roll-up shades or window coverings to projector screens, etc. They come with built-in stop limiters. You may need to look carefully at the motor speed, and possibly use a gear reduction or step down to slow rotation.

If mounting is based upon a single pole pivot, should be fairly straight forward.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I assume the mechanism will rotat 180 degrees to one side of the bedroom and then go back in the same direction 180 degrees, because if it does not the cords will knot up from all the twisting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.