Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I tried a similar post a while back but didn't really get a response, probably due to the length and complexity of my message. We learn from our mistakes.

I really want to create two custom resolutions within my CS-1 for DVD sources for both NTSC and PAL.

NTSC - 1440 x 960

PAL - 1440 x 1152

My display is a Sony1292 CRT projector.

What I can't figure out are all the settings required to create a custom res':

- Horizontal Total

- Vertical Total

- Horizontal Sync Width

- Vertical Sync Width

- Horizontal Back Porch

- Vertical Back Porch

- Refresh Rate (x10)

All help really, really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
RAM.

·
Registered
753 Posts
In this case, there is no real advantage to doing exact multiples of input pixels and lines for a custom output resolution. Ideally, you should find the optimum resolution of the projector, and use that as the basis for the one output resolution. The quality of the scaler chips today are very good, and trying to double the amount of input lines specifically for the output will show little if any difference. The optimum number of lines on the CRT will be a function of the scanning electronics (and it's limitations), the beam diameter, and the tube size. When lines are scaled up, from say 480 to 960, they are not just duplicated, but carefully interpolated so the effect is a smooth transition between lines.

I don't know the specifics of this projector's timing, so I cannot say what the output timings should be. I would suggest starting with the 1280x960 resolution as a starting point, scaling the numbers up by (1440/1280), and keeping the refresh rate at 60Hz. The lines should be OK already.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shaun,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I understand exactly what your saying but the only true way for me to find the sweet-spot of my projector given my screen size and viewing distance is to create many different custom resolutions via the CS-1 to see what looks best before the scan lines start overlapping and the picture becomes to soft.

Your advice is great and very helpful but still does'nt help with "how-to" create custom resolutions and help with setting the following:

- Horizontal Total

- Vertical Total

- Horizontal Sync Width

- Vertical Sync Width

- Horizontal Back Porch

- Vertical Back Porch

- Refresh Rate (x10)

On another note - why are many resolutions fixed as component out and are not switchable on the fly to RGB. I have to duplicate many of the resolutions to get them to work with my CRT projector.

Also why does the CS-1 always default to component out when you turn the machine on, again I have to go through the menu system each time to change my duplicated 1080p back to RGB every time. Would be very handy if it remembered your previous selection/settings.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
RAM.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I have had an extremely busy day. This CenterStage product is really catching on!

The standard HDTV resolutions, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, are defined in EIA-770.3 and SMPTE 274 as YPrPb output with tri-level syncs. We specifically do not allow the user to edit these resolutions and name them the same to prevent confusion.

Indeed, you can take the 1080p configuration, and from the menu change it to RGB, but if will go back to the "default" configuration again at power-up. Trying to "Edit" an HDTV resolution still forces the configuration to be in the default YPrPb output format, and the user cannot change this default.

The solution for this is to create an actual new "_1080p in RGB" resolution, and set the output to RGB. I just copied the numbers from the 1080p resolution into a new custom resolution and named it appropriately. I have attached this .RES file to this thread.

_1080p in rgb.zip 0.16796875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have attached a document that should help you in creating custom resolutions. Because it is almost impossible to know all timing specifications of all projectors Focus will not create a custom resolution for any particular display without working directly with the display manufacturer to have it tested. Therefor any user that creates a custom resolution is doing it at their own risk and it is recommended that you get the timing specifications from the manufacturer.

cs1_createaresolution.zip 32.6533203125k . file

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.