AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have HLN617 with firmware 209 and run it through my HTPC with ATI 9800 Pro with Catalyst 3.7. It looks like 209 firmware does not have proper DVI driver, or Catalyst drivers when running 9800 Pro just have a problem with 209 and can not read it properly. Anyway, none of the Catalyst drivers (I believe the first one I used was 3.2) ever recognized Sammy as 1280x720 device. It was recognized as either 800x600, or more recently by 3.7 as 1280x768. So every time I upgrade drivers, I have to teach them [email protected] resolution via Powerstrip.

At first I tought Catalyst [email protected], and then never used Powerstip again letting XP manage resolution. Then I noticed that Powerstrip 3.4 had two 1280x720 timings within 60hz - one called "HDTV standard" and the other one "LCD". I played with both and noticed that LCD gave me better PQ. Then I upgraded to Powerstrip 3.45 (latest version) and this one has third option "DVI/HDCP derived". Well, this one works best with my system. On test patterns from VE and DVE it shows best resolution, color fidelity, etc. Was it possible that Sammy was re-scaling the image with other [email protected] timings?

Anybody had similar experiences? What are your timings for driving Sammy? Input will be appreciated.

Vlad

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any input? I would really appreciate if somebody could try Powerstip DVI/HDCP derived resolution and report if the image quality is improved. On my Sammy this resolution definitely bypasses internal scaling process that othewise ocurrs with regular Windows timed 1280x720 resolution at 60hz via DVI.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The resolutions I played with on my HLN617W (including the custom ones) were based off of the HDCP-derived timings IIRC and I definitely had an unaltered 1:1 pixel mapping, though I was actually using the VGA input. I don't think I ever tried any other timings on it when I was shooting for 1:1. And yes I know you've tried playing with the custom resolutions already. :p

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grooger,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your resolution again, but on my HLN617 with ATI 9800 Pro and 3.7 drivers it does not do 1:1 - desktop text is fuzzy on both VGA and DVI.

Windows controled timings for [email protected] appears to give 1:1, but now when I compared it with 1280x720 DVI/HDCP derived resolution (16:9 version) I can clearly see that DVI/HDCP timings produce better PQ. This is not so visible (at least to me) on the desktop text as on video material. There is a bit less noise, a bit more 3D feel, more detail and significant improvement in color information. Detail is finally revealed in dark areas, without impacting blacks (acctualy the are more solid as well) and mist, fog and other traditionaly dicy details are reproduced perfectly. Dark colors finally came to life on DLP as I have never seen them before.

Example: Chapter 13 of LOTR I, Extended edition, when Frodo and the gang hide below the tree roots from the Black Ridder. Much more detail in the hole with overall better black level. Also, I can acctually see mist going over dark areas above their heads before the Black Ridder shows up. Chapter or two before there is a scene when Frodo and Sam watch the Elves go to wherewer they are going. When Frodo smokes the pipe and Sam cooks the food, you can now see incredible difference (before it was big) in their face tones, Sam's face reflecting the fire on which it cooks. Also scenes from Gladiator (first 7-8 chapters escpecialy being dark to semi-dark) are way more detailed, with dark colors being much better articulated. This detail and color was something you could not get before with display adjustments (brigthness, contrast, saturation). This is completely new information that was simply not there before.

It would be great if somebody could try this resolution and report their findings. I would like to know if this is the case with all Sammy's, or just firmware issue. By the way, I am not upgrading now when I found the perfect trick. I would be more than happy to compare details from other common reference DVDs with other member to determine if we are on the same page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.