AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a media center PC. There was significant overscan on it. Playing with the NVidia resize utility created a new custom resolution for me of 1848 x 1028 which looks nice and has no overscan. Am I distorting Blu Ray's like this? IT seems to me that unless I run full resolution of 1920x1080 that I'm going to be compressing a video signal into the wrong size space. Isn't there any way to shrink the video on my HDMI port without changing resolution? On a side note my TV still reports 1920x1080, so what am I really running? (GeForce 9300 / Samsung 61" DLP)

Next, I found that I cannot text or icons on it from my couch and I bumped up the DPI to 150%. Does that mess with PowerDVD? I realize the resolution is still the same, but am I rendering the movie in 2/3 resolution and having Windows enlarge it the 150%? Or is this OK to do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantak /forum/post/17011662

I cannot text or icons

That should have been "I cannot read text or icons". The screen was too small from that distance so I bumped the DPI. I just don't understand if that applies to everything or just text/icons/windows graphics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the DPI setting just scales things like text and windows. It doesn't actually scale anything, it just increases text size and window bar sizes and stuff.

Also, when you run that custom resolution, the video card is still actually running a resolution of 1920x1080. Your DESKTOP resolution is that custom resolution. So your video card is outputting a 1920x1080 video feed with black borders and your desktop within that.

I'm not sure how DLPs work, but I think you have to change the input type to PC or even use a designated PC input (sometimes VGA) that will eliminate the overscan. Also since DLP is a rear-projection technology, I'm not sure it's possible to completely eliminate overscan.

So currently, the blu ray player on your htpc will be scaling the 1920x1080 video to your custom resolution. However, I don't know if a DLP can ever output 1:1 in which case the video wont' really look much better any other way. Even if it could do 1:1, for video, it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply. I have one more question if you (or anyone who knows!) doesn't mind.

If a Blu Ray is supposed to be 1080p, and 1080p is supposed to be 1920x1080, then how does a 2.35:1 movie work? The math isn't right. Either it's 1920x817, or it's 2538x1080. What's the real resolution? I suppose it could truly be 1920x1080 if they encoded the black bars onto the disc, but I highly doubt that's how the image is encoded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts