AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a Pioneer HDTV model SD582HD5 and am working on getting my HTPC to work on it. I have tried several of the setting that were given in earlier post and they work somewhat.......a little big a little too small etc. I am using Powerstrip 3.0 and I have a Radeon 64MB VIVO card. The card seems to take the custom resolutions just Fine...........

Can anyone help with tweeks to the Powerstrip setting so I can get the best picture possible!!!

Thanks

Hoop24

·
Registered
10 Posts

I've got the same RPTV....I'd be interested to hear your findings. To this date, I've been unable to find a vertical resolution that fits perfectly on the screen without overscan. Horizontal resolutions can be tweaked to fit, but I've got lots of blurriness at the sides of the screen that doesn't seem to show up in lower-resolution sources.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will,

I seem to get the best picture in the 640X480 mode but it is too small for the screen.

I get an OK picture in the 960X540 mode but there is the blurriness that you are talking about.......I have a few more custom resolution to try.....my HT dealer is great. He lets me bring my computer in and test things out before I buy!!!

Some of the new resolution I am going to try are:

928X484

920X500

856X480

There may be a few more!!!

I will keep you posted on my progress!!

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I use Radeon VE dual-head with my Pioneer SD532. VE can only do 480p and 1080i on my TV but not any custom T&Rs so I can not comment on other T&Rs. I see little overscan with 640x480, no blurriness on edges. But I prefer 1080i, which has more overscan issue, but no blurriness I can see on the sides, however overscan may have masked some of the blurriness on the sides.

BTW, 1080i overscan is significant, but not too much worse compared to a standalone progressive scan DVD player. Of course the overscan makes 1080i unsuitable for Windows desktop (interlaced desktop is not pleasant to begin with.) I have a secondary display on the VE card for desktop at 800x600.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jacmyoung,

Thanks, but forgive my ignorance...what is BTW and are you using the cards resolutions or are you creating them with Powerstrip......I too found the 640X480 the sharpest but the original setting I tried was the 960X540 and there was overscan so the use of the desktop was difficult but DVD Clarity was great!!!!

I haven't tried going back to the 960X540 and then arranging my desktop to fit in the middle of the screen for use!!!

Do you use it a lot for HT and do you like the TV???

Thanks for the help!!

Hoop24

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Hoop24, I use my HTPC mainly for what it was intended-HT, but decided to have VE dual head so I can migrate my work files from my old PC to this HTPC and work on my secondary monitor while doing HT on the TV at the same time! So far so good.

BTW (by the way), 640x480 while ok for desktop on my TV, is not as good for DVD movies in full screen. For me 1080i is the best (and my only other option) for DVD playback. I think the Pioneer SD532 and SD582 are the best HD ready sets for the money, if your main viewing is HDTV or progressive displays. I compared mine with Mits, Panasonic, Sony and many others. Too bad Pioneer SD610 is only first generation, otherwise they would have full range of screen sizes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jacmyoung.....good to know that the TV is good!!! You read so much stuff from the manufactures that it all gets confusing........

When you say 1080i is that the 1920X1080i that the card came with?

Karnis, I coppied those ATI resolution but just haven't had a chance to give them a try.......my HT dealer is great and we are both working on this so he can sell the idea to other customers.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Yes I use the "1290x1080i HDTV Standard" that comes with Powerstrip. However I also use an Audio Authority VGA-Component transcoder to hook my PC up to the component input of the SD532.

If you are using the direct VGA connection (Video 3), I believe you may have to use one of the other 1290x1080i setups but I do not remember which one.

BTW, if you try 1080i or other interlaced modes with Radeon, you will have to do the "desktop refresh" in Powerstrip when playing a DVD movie in full screen.

Please let us know how DVD playback qualities differ between 540p and 1080i on the Pioneers. If 540p is superior to 1080i, I will be willing to upgrade to a Radeon 64DDR card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.