AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
inspired by home theater gurus tutorials and diy threads from avsforums, i started to think of building a diy marty or hammer sub. also due to very high prices of subs in India (pb 16 ultra costs 5000$) diy sub was the best choice. i have modeled the sub using winisd and marty excel calculator. crown xls2002 in bridged mode and minidsp hd for amp and dsp. pairing this sub with my old rsl speedwoofer 10s.
i have used screws and wood glue to join the panels. work is done through a local carpenter using 0.7inch mdf .
this is the model
Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot Software

is 19-20m/s fine for this build?

some build pics

Wood Rectangle Wall Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Gas Font Automotive wheel system Circle

tripple baffle with some support

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Carbon Gas Sound box

dimensions- 35inch H/24inch W/28inch D
waiting for the paint, crown xls2002 amplifier and minidsp hd to arrive.

is spray can paint be enough for this? is foam lining required?12 awg wire is double the price of 14 awg in my place, so 14awg for 20feet run and to wire inside the sub would be fine?

Reactions: xb1032

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I believe 19-20m/s is fine. I have subs with higher port velocity and sit near them and I don't hear chuffing.

I read another post who bought a pair of martys and lined one with expensive lining and the other with nothing and couldn't tell the difference. GSG doesn't list foam lining in their assembly checklist for the Martys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe 19-20m/s is fine. I have subs with higher port velocity and sit near them and I don't hear chuffing.

I read another post who bought a pair of martys and lined one with expensive lining and the other with nothing and couldn't tell the difference. GSG doesn't list foam lining in their assembly checklist for the Martys.
Ya in their checklist they dont mention this,i was wondering why svs or manufacturers use foam lining in ported subs?

·
Registered
Venu360, Niles power Amp, Emotiva power Amps, Crown power Amps, Yamaha CX-A5100, DIY speakers, UHZ65
560 Posts
Absorbent material behind the driver is for much higher frequency. If you look at the damping effect of most materials they start in the lower midrange area and go up.

If you are trying to dampen and overdriven driver it is possible to get higher frequency content as distortion. Not going to help what comes out from the driver directly into your room though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts