Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:

I bought this giant subwoofer (See photo) from a gentleman on Ebay. He had a story to go with it...It is a custom built one of a kind unit made for the Consumer Electronics show in Las Vegas circa 1996 or so...I called HSU research, and it checked out as legitimate When I received it, I took it apart, and it contains a pair of HSU 12" drivers. It is in a Sonotube...it stands 5'7" tall, and has an MDF enclosure inside of it that forms a rectangular port. The subs fire in unison, and the thing plays deeper than any sub I have ever heard. It is a behemoth. IT is also very smooth and accurate. It is well damped inside with insulation bonded to the sonotube. This thing plays to 16 Hz no problem.

I am ecstatic about having this unit, and I think it looks awesome, but the wife says it looks like a water heater (she is right) and that it is ugly. She admits that she likes the sound it makes, but she has "reservations" about letting this thing reside in our livingroom.

What is everyone's take on this...Does the awesome sound justify the size, or should I shop for something more "domesticated"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the picture of the sub

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I made a custom enclosure using plexiglass, and a 12" Cerwin Vega. I had it "in the wall" as I extended the ports horizontally out of the box so they terminate flush with the drywall on the finished side of the wall.

We moved, and I didn't have the luxury of a divider wall.

I had it in the corner of our new LR and the comments were "unacceptable" and "get it outta here".

I mounted it under the floor but the sound was REALY diminished. So I thought and thought and thought, so I came up with my idea.

Make a dummy floor register (matches the others) and when you lift the register you see the 2 PVC tubes.

WHOLA, it's outta here, and still rumbles deep and clean.!

I have it mounted to the joists in the basement ceiling, and the ports are 14" so they extend from the top of the box up the joist bay, and level with the floor.! (4"x10" hole in the floor when the register is pulled)

If your ports are small enough the sound really explodes in the room, it IS less than when it was in the corner, but the box is SO efficient, I just turn the level up, I still barely see the woofer moving and enjoy the rumble.!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd get a light-colored screen or something, and put it in front of it... Either that, or hang some drapes from the ceiling.... If you can do that on each side, could look kinda cool.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Nice subwoofer and I voted the last one. :D I'd put the sub between the left speaker and the TV. IMO, the bass reproducer should be "inside" the the area where the satellites are. I'm assuming your TV has CRT tubes in it. But, try to put the subwoofer there and hope that don't distort your TV. I always want the sub in the middle as possible. I know bass isn't directional, but, my ear drums can feel the difference and it does get a little uncomfortable. I dunno about you. But, if that were mine, I'd put it between the left speaker and the TV.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It does look a bit out of place towering over everything else and being big and black in a white room. Maybe try putting it in the back of the room so it's out of site and out of mind while watching TV. OR... here's an idea. Would it be possible to maybe wrap the whole thing in white GOM? That would help it blend into your walls and make it much less noticeable.

If need be, I can take it off your hands and put it in my theater.

And what is that you are watching on TV? Looks like a south Asian film or something.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You could probably upgrade the drivers with Hsu's newer 12" woofer and make it even more potent. If unsure, you could always ask the Dr. about it. I am sure he wouldn't mind hearing about his one of a kind creations floating around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you need 2 of them! Nah it's fine, anyone that has ever seen something like a big china cupboard can say well... this is a better thing to put in the corner, and it has a use! What the hell are you watching? :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.