AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to design a box that would allow for wall or ceiling mounting and have built-in angles to support the ideal Atmos locations (45 degree azimuth, 45 degree elevation) and point directly at the MLP.

Design goals:
1. Angled at 45 degrees in both dimensions when mounted on a wall or ceiling
2. Able to crossover at 80Hz - a ported Volt-6 tuned to ~70Hz would be pretty much perfect
3. Volume around 0.27cf - This would allow the Volt-6 stock slot port to tune at ~70Hz. Bigger would be okay but may require cutting the port shorter

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
CAD Drawings:

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Notes:
  • I had to come off the front baffle square at the top for a bit before turning 45 in order to leave room for the driver
  • I used 1/2" plywood for all panels except those that had a 45 coming into their edge. A 45 degree diagonal of 1/2" is 0.7" so I used 3/4" plywood where that occurred.
  • The front full-width section doesn't quite fit the port, but the rear section comes down at a 45 (shown in the second section sketch) and still leaves room for the port.
  • Final internal volume comes out to 0.286 cf, which the stock slot port tunes to ~68Hz.
  • I had to make a left-handed version and mirror-image right-handed version, two of each.
  • These were a nightware to cut with a mixture of bevel cuts and miter cuts, with some pieces having both. I used a table saw and miter saw.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First one glued up with inside seams sealed with silicone...

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, the design phase was a bit of a challenge, but nothing compared to the cutting phase. If anything could have ever used a CNC-cut flat pack, this was it! Hint, hint, Erich ;)

All 4 boxes glued up and inside seams sealed. Next steps are lining the inside with foam where it will fit, mounting crossovers and terminal cups, then gluing the front baffles on. One thing I forgot to draw is that I plan on giving the bottom of the front baffle a 45 bevel to match the angle of the adjacent face.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. How are you going to attach them to the ceiling?
My ceilings are ridiculously high, so in my case, they will be mounted on walls. It just so happens that with the dual angles, they work mounted on front walls, side walls, or ceiling while still pointing at the MLP. For as complicated as they are, they are actually quite versatile.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slowly making progress...

Sanded the boxes, beveled the bottom edge of the front baffle, then did a quick dry fit to make sure everything fits as planned:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My ceilings are ridiculously high, so in my case, they will be mounted on walls. It just so happens that with the dual angles, they work mounted on front walls, side walls, or ceiling while still pointing at the MLP. For as complicated as they are, they are actually quite versatile.

I wasn't specific enough. I was trying to ask how are you actually going to fasten them to the wall or ceiling? Screwing through the inside of the box into the wall or some other method?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
beautiful work .. .

I can imagine that the "mental gymnastics" of trying to visualize this construct, before it went to being on paper, were actually quite a bit of "fun",

although for many DIY'ers: SOP

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wasn't specific enough. I was trying to ask how are you actually going to fasten them to the wall or ceiling? Screwing through the inside of the box into the wall or some other method?
My fault for not actually answering your question. I plan on using french cleats or z-clips

beautiful work .. .

I can imagine that the "mental gymnastics" of trying to visualize this construct, before it went to being on paper, were actually quite a bit of "fun",

although for many DIY'ers: SOP
You really hit the nail on the head. I envisioned it in my mind and thought what I was visualizing made sense and achieved what I wanted, but confirmation didn't come until I built a smaller mockup out of cardboard. At that point, I knew it would work, but decided to draw it in AutoCAD just to make sure I left enough room for the driver and port. That resulted in a minor tweak to add a bit of room for the driver.

Right before I started building these, I built a custom Volt-6 center which had multiple size constraints. AutoCAD proved indispensable for this design, as I ended up having to angle the top of the box at 13 degrees to balance barely fitting the driver and barely fitting under my TV (probably only about 1/8" of clearance in both cases). Completing that and having it end up pretty much exactly as designed gave me the confidence to attempt this build.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted to do the same thing but recessed into the ceiling.
For a ceiling-only version of this, you could get away with a much simpler design that only has a single 45-degree angle. The other 45 can be made by simply rotating the box on/in the ceiling. In fact, you could use the exact design that I drew in the first AutoCAD image I posted, but have the rectangular section that sticks out only be 3.75" rather than 7.5". Internal volume and thus tuning would end up the same (~68Hz).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Amazing design and execution! I hope you keep us posted on the progress, and pictures of them in place.
Great work!
Not my SOP!:D

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cut holes for terminal cups, lined with foam (other than the area where the port is close to the interior wall) and wired and mounted crossovers:

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glued the front baffles on then sanded. Some minor touch-up with spackle and then tomorrow is painting day!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wow , great work so far , looking forward to completion and mounting . Far more maths than I want to try to figure out .

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Painted! Almost ready for mounting!

Don't mind the color or the finish :) That is the color of the walls in my living room, and the paint is 10 years old. I filtered it to get the chunks out and rolled it on. Luckily they are going 12 feet up in the air so nobody will see whatever imperfections exist.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts