AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 933 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had my Pro-111FD calibrated by Chad B. His responses to my emails were quick and very helpful. Neither of us could find another customer in my area to do a cal for, so I paid him extra to entice him to come out just for me. Which he did after some hesitation since he doesn't like to charge travel expenses apparently. My friend also wanted to have an audio system calibrated, but backed out on me, so Chad was kind enough to do my audio to give me the best value since I was covering what my friend stiffed him for.

Going by the threads I've read he did everything that he's supposed to for the TV. When he got done with the TV and started on the audio, I'd have to say I was a touch disappointed when I put Cars in. It didn't seem to look a lot different. I'd read a lot of reviews and everyone raved about what ISF calibrations did for Kuros, and I wasn't seeing what other people were talking about. But please keep reading, there is a happy ending.

But Chad had said he would do as much as possible for my audio since I was paying extra for his trip, and this was the first place I saw his work really really shine. He spent a good two or three hours working on my audio. He took measurements and painstakenly adjusted each speaker individually. And when he was done it sounded fantastic! I took his advice when he first got there and ran out to buy a receiver, a Pioneer VSX03TXH, since mine didn't have HDMI. And his knowledge of Pioneer receivers was impressive. My speakers are the cheapest Infinity's you can buy, the Primus. But he made my home theater absolutely shine, I've never had a HT system that sounds like mine does now. He brought out highs and lows from the speakers that I didn't think were possible. Well worth it.

After Chad left I watched a lot of The Dark Knight and I started to realize that the TV looked good. The purples in the Joker's suit had a more vivid color than I had ever seen and I was impressed. After that I tossed in my copy of The Lion King SE on DVD. I'd have to say that TLK has never ever looked as good as it does now. The colors are vivid and simply stunning. Even my wife commented that it looked good. And if the wife can notice a difference and says it looks good, I think that says a lot. There seems to be more detail in scenes that wasn't there before. I'm sure the more movies I watch, the more I will appreciate the work he did on my Kuro. I would ask him back for my next calibration in a heartbeat.

Speedys123

·
Coyote Waits
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedys123 /forum/post/16888467

I just had my Pro-111FD calibrated by Chad B.

I've reposted your report in the owner's thread for your model display. Thanks for the report. A link to the copy in the owner's thread has been added to the flat panel (Post#2) list at the begining of this thread.

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shawn Byrne (lives in Topeka, KS but covers the Kansas City metro area as well as Lawrence, KS) just left my house after spending 6hrs calibrating a Pioneer 111FD and a Pioneer 6020. I highly recommend him.

Shawn was incredibly professional. He was friendly, courteous and patient with my continuing questions.

I thought my sets looked terrific before but they look INCREDIBLE now. I was just sitting in my basement watching the Redsox (via DirecTV) play on my 6020 and was amazed at how awesome the picture looked. In particular, the Whites all looked much sharper with more "pop".

The 111FD took about 4.5hrs and the initial readings showed my TV being pretty far off of the reference values. After all the calibrating the colors are amazing and the grey scale is perfect. Shawn activated the ISF-day, Night and Auto modes and calibrated all of them.

The 6020 was easier (and only took about 1.5hrs) as it doesn't have the ISF modes. There is definitely a difference on black levels between the 111FD and the 6020 but the 6020 still looked terrific after calibration.

I could go on and on but suffice it to say that Shawn was excellent and I highly recommend his services.

Thank you Shawn

·
Coyote Waits
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavman1 /forum/post/16911201

Shawn Byrne (lives in Topeka, KS but covers the Kansas City metro area as well as Lawrence, KS) just left my house after spending 6hrs calibrating a Pioneer 111FD and a Pioneer 6020.

It would be great for Shawn, and other owner's of your models if you copied your report, and then posted it in the appropriate owner's threads. Then I can add links in the lists that are in post # 2 of this thread.

For your 111.
The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

For your 6020.
The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

If you're not able to do that, I will repost for you after a couple of days.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I was asked by a friend how my calibrations went - done just last Saturday by Rayjr. Here was my answer: (BTW, Ray was meticulous, both explained carefully and showed key points to understand, documented the before and after charts for me, and noted key settings - as we found there was no saving after my neighborhood had a power outage in the middle of things!)

It went VERY well. I had to wait for Sunday's Tru Blood, that is where my most focused attention has been and it is a great source. The panels were good before, but now they and the show, almost follows Ansel Adams 9 (?) steps of white to black...with a lot of red. And definitely I see a difference.

Blacks are blacker. Before the blue was 20% overdriven, Red 12% underdriven so whites are whiter - even as the lumen level came down a bit. When it gets a white signal, no matter the white, it is not skewed anymore. No soft pinks, or cool blues. Noticeably whites stay neutral white.

The before and after charts were quite a sight to see, given there is really not a lot of adjustments (and those were subtly tweaked).

Each of R G B Low (about 30% brightness), R B G high (about 60% brightness) sets the gray level.

Contrast and Brightness for black and white level.

Color, and finally gamma - which is like an accelation of brightness.

(did I miss something?)

But the combos of all that make quite a difference.

And there was the turning off of most all other auto-filters, NRs etc.

Then....Rayjr set a Pure mode, Movie mode and standard mode. Pure being correct, and each of the others slightly tweaked brighter. But in my tests, I'm already calibrated to pure. And predominantly stay there - it is just SO perfect. Though I have to say with Beowulf, the gold dragon lit up beautifully with the brighter modes.

This all after I used my calibration disc. It only gets you white level, black level and color level. You need a spectrometer or similar and that feeds a laptop which drives a signal generator. All calibrated, to get the colors in line.

He also pointed out the color tint to the gray scale before adjustment and lack of it after. Once pointed out, it's distinct.

Less obvious, but noticeable is the utter detail that was being masked. Native film grain, facial complexsion, textures all are better - as is of course, color. I didn't think I would notice so much...and the more I watched the more I realized how much better it was.

So all in all, I would definitely say that calibration is of high value, and that Rayjr did an excellent job. As with the above, I have been suggesting him and calibration to all my plasma oriented friends (the LCD group don't seem to notice very much at all!).

·
Coyote Waits
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavman1 /forum/post/16911201

Shawn Byrne (lives in Topeka, KS but covers the Kansas City metro area as well as Lawrence, KS) just left my house after spending 6hrs calibrating a Pioneer 111FD and a Pioneer 6020. I highly recommend him.

Thanks for posting your report in the Kuro threads. I'll add them to the lists.

·
Coyote Waits
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden /forum/post/16913640

I was asked by a friend how my calibrations went - done just last Saturday by Rayjr.

It would be great for Rayjr, and other owner's of your model if you copied your report, and then posted it in the appropriate owner's threads. Then I can add links in the lists that are in post # 2 of this thread.

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread

If you're not able to do that, I will repost for you after a couple of days.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Was going to do that, but the owners thread is now closed. Any other recomendations? - and BTW, feel free to copy it if you want to. Not copywrited! Thanks, steve

·
Coyote Waits
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #330

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Done! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaden /forum/post/16913640

I was asked by a friend how my calibrations went - done just last Saturday by Rayjr. Here was my answer: (BTW, Ray was meticulous, both explained carefully and showed key points to understand, documented the before and after charts for me, and noted key settings - as we found there was no saving after my neighborhood had a power outage in the middle of things!)

It went VERY well. I had to wait for Sunday's Tru Blood, that is where my most focused attention has been and it is a great source. The panels were good before, but now they and the show, almost follows Ansel Adams 9 (?) steps of white to black...with a lot of red. And definitely I see a difference.

Blacks are blacker. Before the blue was 20% overdriven, Red 12% underdriven so whites are whiter - even as the lumen level came down a bit. When it gets a white signal, no matter the white, it is not skewed anymore. No soft pinks, or cool blues. Noticeably whites stay neutral white.

The before and after charts were quite a sight to see, given there is really not a lot of adjustments (and those were subtly tweaked).

Each of R G B Low (about 30% brightness), R B G high (about 60% brightness) sets the gray level.

Contrast and Brightness for black and white level.

Color, and finally gamma - which is like an accelation of brightness.

(did I miss something?)

But the combos of all that make quite a difference.

And there was the turning off of most all other auto-filters, NRs etc.

Then....Rayjr set a Pure mode, Movie mode and standard mode. Pure being correct, and each of the others slightly tweaked brighter. But in my tests, I'm already calibrated to pure. And predominantly stay there - it is just SO perfect. Though I have to say with Beowulf, the gold dragon lit up beautifully with the brighter modes.

This all after I used my calibration disc. It only gets you white level, black level and color level. You need a spectrometer or similar and that feeds a laptop which drives a signal generator. All calibrated, to get the colors in line.

He also pointed out the color tint to the gray scale before adjustment and lack of it after. Once pointed out, it's distinct.

Less obvious, but noticeable is the utter detail that was being masked. Native film grain, facial complexsion, textures all are better - as is of course, color. I didn't think I would notice so much...and the more I watched the more I realized how much better it was.

So all in all, I would definitely say that calibration is of high value, and that Rayjr did an excellent job. As with the above, I have been suggesting him and calibration to all my plasma oriented friends (the LCD group don't seem to notice very much at all!).

Steve,

Thank you for the review. and I hope you are enjoying both your displays.

RayJr

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had Gregg Loewen from LionAV calibrate my Samsung pn58b860 this weekened. I would like to say that Gregg was very professional and took his time to explain everything he was doing as he calibrated my TV. He was very informative and answered all my questions. I would recommend Gregg to anyone thinking of calibrating their set. The results, after watching a few blu-ray movies, I can say that the picture quality is definitely improved!!! I have attached the calibration results.

Attachment 149389

Attachment 149390

Attachment 149391

john russo CMS Post.pdf 63.7431640625k . file

john russo post summary.pdf 127.962890625k . file

john russo WB Post.pdf 67.4814453125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had Gregg Loewen from Lion AV come out and calibrate my Panasonic 54V10. I am very pleased with the results from Greg's calibration. The V10 has a great picture out of the box but I was amazed at how much better the image looks now. The image is sharper the blacks deeper without losing shadow detail and the colors are richer than before. Greg was very professional and explained everything he was doing. He made sure I understood and he didn't pack up until everything was as close to perfect as possible with the TV. I don't think he likes the V10 remote too much but that's Panasonics fault for switching the buttons around on the new models.
I would recommend Greg in a second for anyone considering having their TV calibrated and complete. I say complete because if you don't have a calibration done by a real pro then you are not getting the full experience.

Thanks again Greg.

Chris Simon

·
Registered
6 Posts
One more....I also had my set calibrated by Gregg with LionAV this past weekend. He was able to stop by a day early due to a cancellation. He explained everything he was doing, and why he was doing it. I learned quite a bit from this experience. My slight red push is gone, and everything just seems clearer. Even my wife (who does not have the best vision) noticed that it has a crisper, more clear image. I couldn't be happier with the results. I thought I had a decent picture before, but now I know that I am getting the best picture that my set can provide. To me, thats what a calibration is all about. Money well spent. I highly recommend Gregg and LionAV if your looking into getting your set calibrated.

Andy J

·
Registered
162 Posts
Craig Paffhausen-- Seems like a great guy but may not have the newest technology out there. He is ISF certified and calibrating in Western Michigan, if you have had experience with him good or bad please PM me and let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I live in the philly area and I'll be needing someone to calibrate the tv that I will be purchasing (Panasonic TC-P65V10 plasma). I haven't received it yet, but I just thought I'd put this out here now to see if anyone has any recommendations.

I'll probably need the calibration some time in the October timeframe. (Will also have a friend that lives next door that will need calibration for his 60" Pio)

Thanks.

·
Coyote Waits
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordy /forum/post/16946594

I also had Gregg Loewen from Lion AV come out and calibrate my Panasonic 54V10.

I reposted your comments in the owner's thread for your model.

Panasonic V10

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey folks. Yesterday, Ken Whitcomb (AVS member D6500Ken) calibrated my 40 inch Samsung LCD (LNT-4061F). I just wanted to post about my experience.

He was very professional, and very timely. His knowledge of his craft was very impressive, and he was very open and communicative about the entire process. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for an improved picture.

It was worth every penny, and I am very happy with how blu-rays look on my set now! You'll definitely be pleased too!

321 - 340 of 933 Posts