AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast got a big black eye today, concerning their customer service, in a Chicago Tribune story with this title: And the customer service award does NOT go to... Here is a part of the story:

"Until recently, LaChania Govan's complaints about Comcast's service seemed relatively tame. The 25-year-old Elgin mother of two said she was put on hold, disconnected, even transferred to the Spanish language line.

But after persistent problems with her digital recording system forced her to make dozens of calls to the cable company in July, her August bill came with a change really worth complaining about: In place of her name were the words "***** Dog."

"I could not believe it," said Govan, who works in customer service for a credit card company. She said she immediately called Comcast to cancel her service and was sent to an operator. "She asked me for my name. I said, `You really don't want me to go there,'" Govan said.

A Comcast official said Tuesday the company was aware of the incident and that the bogus name change was authentic but said she couldn't discuss the specifics until the company discovered how it occurred."

Here is a link to the full story, http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0508170154aug17,1,7426214.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Of course Comcast does not care about customer service, they don't have to.

That's the great thing about having a monopoly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
although i clearly have not had this experience, i have had a LOT of difficulty with comcast customer service as well-- but like someone else said, what do they care? they own the industry....

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Race has nothing to do with it - in fact classifying "dog" as overtly racist seems to be more racist.

I'd be just as offended if my wife prompted that name change on one of our bills.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I doubt very much that this is being glossed over at corporate in Philly. It really does not get any worse that this in terms of customer relations, especially given the talk about Comcast's size that we keep hearing from the politicos. I am sure that heads are spinning in Philly over this one.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv123
the "dog" bit is overtly racist. i think comcast is in deep trouble over this.
Racist? Wouldn't it be specieist?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I didnt realize dogs were their own "race".... unless its a greyhound dog, in which case races are common

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today's Chicago Trib follow up story: Two Comcast customer service employees were fired for changing an Elgin woman's name to "***** Dog" on her August bill after she repeatedly complained about poor service, company officials announced Wednesday.

"We are appalled by this treatment of our customer and want to extend our sincerest apologies'' to LaChania Govan, the company said in a statement. "This is not the way Comcast does business. We have identified those responsible for altering Ms. Govan's bill, and they have been dismissed as a result of this incident."

Govan noted that the apology and firings came only after her story was published in the Tribune and gained widespread media attention, but she also said she appreciated the company's actions.

·
Registered
22,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIAm
i am sure those employees could care less...
.... unless if it was worth losing their job (income)?

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
.... unless if it was worth losing their job (income)?
They could probably make more money working at McDonalds :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,274 Posts
... if they're smart enough to know that the "buzzer" means, "take the fries out of the oil and dump them in the bin. And... use oven mitts". :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doesn't just happen in cable.

Quote:
In another case, Peoples Energy customer Jefferoy Barnes started getting letters addressed to "Jeffery Scrotum Bag Barnes."

"I had no bad words at all. I guess the earliest letter is dated in May and from then on up until now my name has been listed as Jeffery Scrotum Bag Barnes and I have no idea why."

Barnes said he received an apologetic call from a company official.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another similar story, most definitely racist:

You’re pre-abused! Offer sent to ‘Mr. Bomber’

Army vet of Palestinian heritage gets credit pitch for ‘Palestinian Bomber’"

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9069423/

I'm getting ready to open a Comcast account in the Chicago area, hopefully I don't have to deal with this kind of nonsense. I'd really rather go with DirecTV or Dish Network, but of course Comcast has an area monopoly on cable TV AND cable internet service.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I don't have a link to the story, but there was a similiar incident involving a restaraunt in NYC, where a couple after there meal paid by CC, and when they received the bill, they noticed that on it was:

Table 3 JEW COUPLE

The restaraunt said they always label tables this way as to not get orders mixed up because of heavy traffic. It was a pretty well respected place if I remember(I am sure if you looked it up on NYPost's website you will find it) and they acted like the people who were labeled "Jew Couple" had the problem, and they did nothing wrong.

Brilliant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.