AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It seems I would be getting a good deal on a DirectTV package if I was to join them this month.

But I have some questions and wanted to find out the real truth.

I will be signing away a 2 year / 24 month contract with them.

Along with that contract "I" for the 1st year will pay $45.00 for two receivers, which one of them is a HD DVR and the other as a HD Box.

Now the HD DVR is only free of fees for 6-months, after that six months is up I will be paying the additional fee for its cost, which if I remember correct it's about $10.00 a month.

Now here's the real kicker I am curious about; After the 1st year is up, DirectTV stated that I will pay the retail price for the package I was paying for less in the past year. Which I think the new price I would be paying for the 2nd year is right at about $70.00

~~ However, they told me what I could do then is just give DTV a call and see what specials is going on and they would grant that new savings also to me.

Without getting into lies just so that Dtv makes a sale to tell me some bull****, what is your guys honest take on that? Will I honestly be eligable to get a special price on Dtv new subscription packages that are offered after my one-year of ownership is up, or will I just have to HACK up them extra ponies to pay that $70.00+ for that 2nd year?

Thanks for any input on loyal or past loyal Dtv owners.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm not really sure what kind of deal they are giving you, but I can try to answer a few of your questions.

You have to pay $6/month for each receiver/DVR you have excluding the first one (the first one is free). So since you say you will have one HD-DVR and one HD receiver you will have $6 in receiver mirroring fees on top of your programming cost. If you were to have one HD-DVR and two HD receivers you would pay $12 in mirroring fees, 3 receivers would be $18 etc.

If you have one or more DVRs on your account you have to have DVR service. DVR service runs $7/month on top of your programming cost (doesn't matter how many DVRs you have you pay $7/month total).

If you have Whole Home DVR active on your account it costs $3/month on top of your programming cost (again this is per account, it does not matter how many receivers you have).

If you sign up now and agree to be on auto-billpay, and keep at least the Choice package you will get HD Access for free as long as your account is open. Otherwise you have to pay $10/month for HD access if you have any HD equipment on your account. If you don't want to do auto-billpay you will have to pay this $10/month.

As far as package pricing goes that is stated pretty clearly on their website. They tell you how much your package will be for the first year, second year, and afterward.

As far as discounts, yes you usually can call up later on down the line and get some discounts. Usually it's stuff like free HBO, Showtime, etc, or $10 off for 6 months stuff like that. They are doing this now, but who knows if they will still be doing it a year or two from now. I would not count on this when making your decision to go with DirecTV.

All that said, I highly recommend DirecTV. I have had it for about 3 years now and have been extremely happy with it. It is much better than the Comcast service I had before, and I like it better than the Dish network service my Mother In Law has.

If you have any more questions go ahead and post them and I will try to answer. Otherwise I recommend checking out DBStalk.com. It is a sister site to AVSForum dedicated to satellite TV, and there are a lot of guys there that can probably answer any question you have about DirecTV.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 /forum/post/20840323

I believed direct's [email protected]#$ and lies ! That second year you will pay and pay dearly! Trust me!

SO you are saying that you cannot save $$'s by dropping down the subscription on the 2nd year by going down to a lower tier subscription DTV package??

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
You may be required to keep whatever programming you agree to in the contract. Otherwise, you may be subject to downgrade fees. Once you sign a contract, you're in for 2 years, and subject to early termination fees.

As someone else said, you pay for DVR service; additional DVRs cost no more per month than a non-DVR receiver. So if you think you'll eventually want more than one DVR, go ahead and order everything you want during the initial install. If you want to add something after you're locked into a contract, it's going to cost a lot more.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
You can save money by dropping to lower packages depending on what offers you are in. For example, in order to keep free HD for life you have to keep Auto-Billpay, and the Choice Extra package or higher. It wouldn't make sense to drop down to Choice because it is only $5 cheaper, and you would then have to pay the $10 HD Access Fee so choice would actually end up being $5/month more expensive than keeping Choice Extra. If you start off with Premier you can drop down to Choice Ultimate, or Choice Extra at any time to save money if you want to.

BigMac, I don't know how it can be seen as lies. DirecTV spells it out pretty clearly on their website. For Choice Extra you pay $34.99 for the first year, $49.99 for the second year, and $65.99 afterward. To get those prices you have to fill out the rebate forms correctly though. If you don't fill them out correctly, then that is your fault and you shouldn't be upset if you don't get that pricing.

Don't know why you dislike them so much, they have been the best subscription TV company I have ever dealt with (I've dealt with DirecTV, Dish Netowkr, Comcast, and Insight).

·
Banned
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/20841819

You can save money by dropping to lower packages depending on what offers you are in. For example, in order to keep free HD for life you have to keep Auto-Billpay, and the Choice Extra package or higher. It wouldn't make sense to drop down to Choice because it is only $5 cheaper, and you would then have to pay the $10 HD Access Fee so choice would actually end up being $5/month more expensive than keeping Choice Extra. If you start off with Premier you can drop down to Choice Ultimate, or Choice Extra at any time to save money if you want to.

BigMac, I don't know how it can be seen as lies. DirecTV spells it out pretty clearly on their website. For Choice Extra you pay $34.99 for the first year, $49.99 for the second year, and $65.99 afterward. To get those prices you have to fill out the rebate forms correctly though. If you don't fill them out correctly, then that is your fault and you shouldn't be upset if you don't get that pricing.

Don't know why you dislike them so much, they have been the best subscription TV company I have ever dealt with (I've dealt with DirecTV, Dish Netowkr, Comcast, and Insight).

direct just recently lost a law suit for 14 million dollars for shady business practices. Google to read about it . Just a warning to anyone thinkin about signing a 2 year contract with such a business.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A Direct TV salesman, stationed at Best Buy, tried to sell me a high level package. When I told him that on the 2nd year, the premium would be a lot more than what I pay now for what I have. He then said that I could drop to a lower package the 2nd year. I told him there was no way Direct TV would let me do that because of the two year contract. I told him I wasn't interested and walked away.

I think these sales people will say anything to make a sale, and I doubt that Direct TV will let you go to a lower package just like that. If they did, they would probably go out of business. It's logical that the 2nd year is when they make up for the special price they gave you for the first year.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3vino /forum/post/20859642

A Direct TV salesman, stationed at Best Buy, tried to sell me a high level package. When I told him that on the 2nd year, the premium would be a lot more than what I pay now for what I have. He then said that I could drop to a lower package the 2nd year. I told him there was no way Direct TV would let me do that because of the two year contract. I told him I wasn't interested and walked away.

I think these sales people will say anything to make a sale, and I doubt that Direct TV will let you go to a lower package just like that. If they did, they would probably go out of business. It's logical that the 2nd year is when they make up for the special price they gave you for the first year.

N3Vino, the DirecTV guy was right. I said it before and I'll say it again, you can change your package at any time unless you take one of two limited offers I know about.

One offer is free HD for life. If you accept that offer you have to keep at least the Choice Extra package or higher. You can switch back and forth between Premeir, Choice Ultimate, and Choice Extra all you want, but if you drop to Choice or Select then you will have to start paying the $10 HD Access Fee. You also have to agree to keep Auto-Billpay to keep free HD for life. If you decide to drop Auto-Billpay you will have to start paying the HD Access Fee.

The other offer is the free Sunday Ticket offer. You used to get Sunday Ticket for free with the Premeir package. If you got that you had to keep the Premeir package for at least 5 or 6 months (can't remember which) and after that you could switch to whatever package you want. This year they are giving Sunday Ticket away for free with Choice Extra and above. So as long as you keep one of those packages for the 5 or 6 months you are fine. If you try to drop to the Choice or Select package you will have to pay for Sunday Ticket.

These are the only two offers that I am aware of that require you to keep a certain package.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just signed up for Direct TV at Costco. Seemed like a pretty good deal. $180 Costco card, HD DVR and HD receiver at no cost. Gotta sign up for the Choice Extra package which comes out to a little under $60/mon. first year, then jumps up to $85/mon. second year. This is still cheaper than TWC (even after keeping internet service with them).

NFL is free for the 11' season. Then you have to pay if you want it in 12'.

I hope the feed is better than TWC. I had so much macro blocking, DVR not working, bad reception on certain sets the house, etc. I figured I'd give Direct a try. It's only two years of my TV life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.