AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I scraped the face of my fairly new LG 50PS60. As you know, the face is a single glass pane with AR film that doubles as a darkish tint. Anyway, I was mad/sad that I screwed up the face of the set. So I ripped the AR film off the face of the glass. I then called a window tint guy to come put some new 3M window tint on. Gone was the anti reflective look, but I don't care! I do most of my TV watching at night with the lights off. The tint guy matched the shade of the old film perfectly. The only problem now was coming up with a replacement border. The other border was solid black, and was part of the AR film. So I came up with the idea of a using some stainless steel as a border. I couldn't get it laser cut, because the machine was just a tad to small. So I went to a waterjet shop and had it done. I gave them my measurements that included a 3/8" hole for the remote sensor and inside/outside corner measurements (1/8") I even brought the top and bottom measurements in by 7/16" each, because I use Just Scan all the time, and tended to leave small black bars... Not anymore. I also added some metal silver/chrome flaming skulls for effect, because I'm into that crap

Also when the tint guy was looking at the film that came off the tv, he noticed what I noticed... The film had a slight purplish tint to it. I hadn't used any cleaners on the screen which means some slackers at the end of the assembly line did. Just like on a car, if you use the wrong cleaners on window tint, it will develop that slight purplish look. So you could now say that I have better blacks, because of clean film

Just got everything done this week, and finished hanging the set today. still have to hide some cables. I put it up on the wall, because of a 65" C9 Mits. DLP off to the side.

Tinting - $60.00

Stainless Steel Border - $240.00

New wall mount by Mounts Made Simple with 28" extension -$168.00

Installation of wall mount and stainless steel border - free (by me)
Attachment 169995

Attachment 169996

Attachment 169997

Attachment 169998

Attachment 169999

·
Registered
161 Posts
Man, I have to say that is an extremely cool custom job. Very creative, and gives your display a nice sleek look. Great job man, enjoy the spoils of your labor!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That is dope.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
All you need now is air shocks on the mount.

Really nice job! Are the flaming skulls spot tacked or full bonded? You could put on different designs over time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You paid way (3x) too much for that wall mount. It looks good, but black is still the best for viewing corect colors without distraction. But I bet you don't care about that anyway. Nice work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/18313554

All you need now is air shocks on the mount.

Really nice job! Are the flaming skulls spot tacked or full bonded? You could put on different designs over time.

The flaming skulls are actually car emblems with 3M double sided tape from Autozone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmp /forum/post/18314216

You paid way (3x) too much for that wall mount. It looks good, but black is still the best for viewing corect colors without distraction. But I bet you don't care about that anyway. Nice work.

A challange to you my friend... If you can find another wall mount with a 26" - 28" swivel extension on it for anything less than what I paid for mine, then I will eat my hat!!!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
That looks like the MMS SP3. Got it for mounting the 42" seen in my sig link photos up in the bedroom when I upgrade to 58" in the main room this year. Built like a tank. Full 90* swivel left and right. I got one for $159 delivered with a 12' HDMI last year. But I have a feeling you got yours for even less.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/18318252

That looks like the MMS SP3. Got it for mounting the 42" seen in my sig link photos up in the bedroom when I upgrade to 58" in the main room this year. Built like a tank. Full 90* swivel left and right. I got one for $159 delivered with a 12' HDMI last year. But I have a feeling you got yours for even less.

It is the MMS SP3, but paid $9 more, and got the HDMI cable also. It is built like a tank... It supports up to 150 pounds with NO sag.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I used a $10 promo code which they include from time to time. Think I ordered last August.

At either price I don't doubt you would win your challenge to gregmp.

I see mounts listed on the web for ridiculously low prices but they are usually made like crap and cannot do what the MMS SP3 does in terms of articulation with NO SAG. Throw in excellent tilt and even level adjustment and there's no contest.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Give you props, that looks very nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts