AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone who has bought from an overseas vendor had to pay customs duty?

it's my understanding that $2000 is the magic number, anything below that figure is usually not a problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Similar for Canadians:

If you order something that is computer related there is no duty regardless of where it's made. If it's not computer related, it must be manufactured in North America to qualify for NAFTA (no duty).

Any home theatre equipment (Stereo receivers, amplifiers, speakers, CD/DVD players) are suject to 6% duty, regardless of value (there is no minimum), if they are manufactured outside of North America.

So, if customs decides your projector is classified as a "computer video display" it has no duty, but if they decide it is a "home theatre display" it gets 6% duty (unless it's made in North America).

Edit: You'll also always pay 7% GST & local PST no matter where it's from.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ordered a PJ from overseas and was charged ~$60 of customs duty on a declared price of ~$1300 about 3 weeks later, and mine WAS labeled as a "computer accessory" - this was via DHL, so who knows...

William

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Its hit or miss no matter what it is labeled. If your item is under $2000, getting a duty is more rare, but it does happen. If your item is over $2000, the odds increase greatly, and I would not purchase without expecting to pay a duty in the US of 4.6 percent, plus processing fees. Even if you do not get hit with a duty, you may have to pay processing fees. Its a crapshoot- IMO the system needs an overhaul. Its inefficient and inconsistent. Your item may only be in customs lockup for a day or two, in other cases it can take 10 days. You never know.

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got stuck with an $86US duty for my HS10. It was valued at ~$1600 I believe on the paperwork, but still got hit (not literally). I am not to happy about it since that increases my total cost of the HS10.

I am calling today at lunch to try and convince them it is computer equipment. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one thing that apparently makes a difference is the shipper. i know dhl is cut and dry with customs duties, but the us postal service is apparently more lax. that's what i've heard anyway...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cfoster
If it's not computer related, it must be manufactured in North America to qualify for NAFTA (no duty).
If a thing plugs into the wall there is NO DUTY in Canada. Catagory 5... see attached url:
http://www.aacb.com/tariffguide.htm

by the way NAFTA is a joke... there was no duty before on most goods bound for Canada from the U.S.A.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Could you tell me how they collect the duty tax here in the US? Do they hold the package till you pay or they send you a bill

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wanted to add that paying a Broker in Canada to help you clear customs is TOTALLY unnecessary. I have payed brokers for YEARS thinking that they actually did something. I have started to clear my own goods and there is absolutely NO paperwork to fill out that hasn't already been completed when you go to get your goods from the shipper's bonded storage,... the shipper gives you the paperwork,... you take that down to Canada Customs (all the shippers and Canada Customs are usually only a couple blocks apart) and then you stand in a line (less than 1/2 hour for me) and the Customs officer makes small talk while they type into a computer for a couple minutes and then digs out the rubber-stamps,... then they point you to the PAYME wicket to collect the sales tax (no duty unless you are importing smokes, shoes, and other things actually manufactured in Canada for which they feel obligated to protect Canadian industry),... ya dig out the Visa/MasterCard and then you are done.... well nearly done,.. you take all the paperwork back to your shipper and give it to them in exchange for your goods. I figure in the next year I will save a couple hundred dollars in cutting the Customs Brokers outa the stuff I buy :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Funny thing is, they are probably read these boards just like you do and are aware of the current trend to use *computer accessories * for home theater. (IMHO)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.