AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about cutting a small hole in my home theater room and ceiling mounting my HD20 in the adjacent room to my home theater and projecting through the hole. This would eliminate the noise in the room, the heat generated from projector and the light spill from the projector. My question is will the remote still work through the small hole when I'm in the theater room. Does anyone have this same setup?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsims2719 /forum/post/19509075

I'm thinking about cutting a small hole in my home theater room and ceiling mounting my HD20 in the adjacent room to my home theater and projecting through the hole. This would eliminate the noise in the room, the heat generated from projector and the light spill from the projector. My question is will the remote still work through the small hole when I'm in the theater room. Does anyone have this same setup?

Thanks for the help.

If you are using the factory settings (IR) then you will have to have some pretty sweet aim to hit the sensor. You could get an IR extender to accomplish this though.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Not without an IR repeater. Remotes are line-of-sight IR and if the hole is only big enough for the lens, you have cut off any path to the IR window.

I would also imagine that you would have some extra head-scratching to do to make sure you cut the hole and mount the projector exactly where it needs to go to line up with the screen. If the hole is JUST large enough for the lens, then that leaves little to no room for any position corrections and the projector would need to be real close to that wall.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
You would need an IR repeater or a universal that has RF capabilites. The only way it might work without that is if the hole was large enough and the IR sensor on your projector happened to be near the lens area....though unlikely.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My equipment is mounted in the room behind the theater and it works pretty well. The finished hole is about 6" tall and 14" wide which was the limit given that I didn't want to move studs and I had to re-route three existing wires (2 romex and 1 data) around the opening.

I think the pros of the setup outweigh the cons... the projector sits on the top shelf of a custom built-in rack in the next room. It is a clean installation and does reduce projector noise to an extent although the auto iris and front mounted exhaust are still audible.

The remote for the projector is no problem as the front sensor is open to the screen so pointing the remote to the screen and picking up the reflection works well. I have been using an IR repeater for the rest of the equipment and it does work but not as well as I would like so I may switch to a RF with IR blaster later.

The couple of minor concerns I have are the clearance I have for the projector is not easily changed so in the future if I want a taller unit it will mean work. Although the mount outside the room makes for a very clean theater room (especially if you have a low ceiling) it does mean a fairly long throw so I must use high power settings with shorter bulb life.

I would not do my theater any other way.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
"small hole".... its unlikely to be a small hole. As mentioned, its going to be relatively large, certainly larger than just the lens. One of the main reasons will be air flow. As a result you will likely have no problems as the IR "eye/lens" will likely easily see the "bounce" off the screen. My son's Optoma is installed in this fashion... again more for air flow and throw distance... keep that point in mind too, as the picture "breadth" needs clearance on the bottom and sides.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to set the projector on a table and project onto a piece of cardboard thinking that this would tell me what size to cut the hole. I was also thinking about setting the lens as close as possible to the 4 inch sheetrock wall so the hole would be small. I was hoping that would increase the likeihood of the remote working.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsims2719 /forum/post/19519228

I was going to set the projector on a table and project onto a piece of cardboard thinking that this would tell me what size to cut the hole. I was also thinking about setting the lens as close as possible to the 4 inch sheetrock wall so the hole would be small. I was hoping that would increase the likeihood of the remote working.

The IR sensor on your HD20 is located next to the lens so I don't think your 'small hole close placement' plan will work. You may also have to accomodate airflow so placement against something is not ideal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts