AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of seeing stuff on my cable bill that I know for a fact I did not order so I am going to one of the sat companies for service. I am at a lost to which one though. I do want HD and from what I hear Dish will be putting out a Superdish system soon but I need something this weekend. I need it for two rooms also and hoping to try Direct Tivo and be able to rent an HD box for my HD viewing. The only reason I went with cable was for the rental option for the HD box and Golf Channel. :) I do want a small premium lineup with locals and HD ESPN and Discovery. So should I wait for the Superdish deal and have a one sat. setup or deal with a dual lnb oval dish right now to get in HD channels? Is HDNet on Dish or Directv? I have a fully ht setup and would like the best bang for the buck so that means digital out and component connection. I am sick of changing inputs on my CAble box. Please help me decide. I am calling a local dealer later today!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
be able to rent an HD box for my HD viewing
Right now only cable companies are renting HD boxes. You have to buy one if you want OTA, Dish or DirecTV.

Quote:
I do want a small premium lineup with locals and HD ESPN and Discovery
You aren't going to get ESPN HD with either of the satellite comanies right now. Discovery HD is on Dish for a small monthly fee.

Quote:
So should I wait for the Superdish deal and have a one sat. setup or deal with a dual lnb oval dish right now to get in HD channels?
DirecTV is the only company with a one dish solution right now. Dish requires two separate dishes pointed in different directions.

Quote:
Is HDNet on Dish or Directv?
Right now DirecTV and select Charter cable systems. It will be on Dish soon along with HD Net Movies.

Quote:
I have a fully ht setup and would like the best bang for the buck so that means digital out and component connection.
Those connections are available on all HD satellite receivers. If your TV supports it, you might want to look into receivers with DVI connections.

-Robert

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Either provider has a number of Hd channels, you need to decide what you're after there...

If you want a PVR, do your research, read, read, read. There are big differences in price and quality. The DTiVo is the best buy now $149 for new sub's and is rock solid. A comparable dual tuner for Dish (E*) is $449. True there is no fee with E* but at $4.99/mo it would be about 6 years to recover the cost. Also you will find the many people complain about the bugs in E* PVRs. But as I said in another section of the forums, ultimately Programming is what we buy SAT service for and if D doesn't have the channels you want then you have to take your chance with E* PVRs.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Also, both Dishnetowrk and Directv will soon be introducing HD STBs with built-in DVRs. How soon is debateable. With any luck both will be out by the end of the year, but based on previous track records of equipment launches, it could be much longer.

Dish has also recently announced that it will be launching a new satellite which will expand their capability to add additional HD channels dramatically. They're claiming they'll be able to add 50 new HD channels (keep in mind that there aren't currently 50 HD channels available to transmit) and the new satellite will require a new Super Dish which will also give Dishnetwork a one-dish HD solution. They'll also be adding HDNet and HDMovies when the new bird is in the sky. Maybe by late summer.

Directv may also be announcing some new HD channels, sometime soon.

You may want to wait. Both companies are in the state of flux right now, and while they're fairly comparable at the moment. Everything may change in 3 months or 6 months.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, I see.. so neither E* nor D* has options to have HD other than HBO Showtime ect... that sucks cause I now I have to get both an OTA antenna plus HD decoder box? :( Now its getting pretty expensive...as if it hasn't already. TWC has the advantage of one box able to get all locals in HD plus movie channels...except for HDNet or DiscHD.... tell me, would a HD STB give me an option to add an HD antenna to an input? thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
DirecTV & Dish Network HD Set Top Boxes have OTA tuners for analog & digital OTA channels. All you need to do is connect an antenna to the antenna IN jack to get the HD locals free.

Depending on where you live, this could be anything from a simple set top or attic antenna, to a roof antenna.

Go to http://www.antennaweb.org to see what channels are in your area and an estimate on how much antenna you may need. Or better yet, look for threads from people in the Houston area.

For the STB comparison thread, click HERE

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stArmorvet
that sucks cause I now I have to get both an OTA antenna plus HD decoder box? :( Now its getting pretty expensive...as if it hasn't already
After the expense of buying the set, a STB and antenna is nothing. Do you want HDTV or not?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.