AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally fed up with Comcast and I'm officially cutting the cord.

We stream netflix, hulu and HBOGo. Want to be able to store shows on the device and also hook up a terrestrial antenna to watch local shows.

Does anything like this exist?

·
Registered
891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the crane  /t/1420672/cutting-the-cable-cord-need-suggestions#post_22227262

We stream netflix, hulu and HBOGo. Want to be able to store shows on the device and also hook up a terrestrial antenna to watch local shows.

I know how you feel,after figuring out just exactly what I like and don't like to watch and doing some research i bought a Roku XS2 and dropped my sat.subscription.This move isn't for everybody!!,but for me it's perfect because everything i like to watch is available on the net,ie;movies and old tv shows.With netflix streaming/mail,Amazon,Crackle,Hulu+and about a 20 other channels that i programmed into my Roku,plus rent/buy new releases of movies,and an antenna for local OTA reception,and more than 700 movies i recorded over the years,hundreds of Eps.of tv shows recorded from OTA and sat. tv,plus several box sets of "complete series"of tv shows that i've liked through my life,i have more than enough to keep me happy...AND i am saving the 96 bucks/month i used to pay Dish.But If you like to watch sports,or the latest,greatest tv shows on network/cable/sat.,then keep your subscription,you need it. BTW,if you drop Comcast you'll lose HBOGo.

AFA recording, i use a DVDR and record to its HDD and so far i have not run into CP problems.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the crane  /t/1420672/cutting-the-cable-cord-need-suggestions/0_100#post_22227262

TiVo

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did the same thing a few months ago...it felt really good to drop off my cable box and cablecards at the Comcast office.

My current solution isn't the best, but it works well for me and I have access to almost all of the content I care about.
  • Tivo HD - I use it to record the major networks and other local stations using my Leaf antenna
  • Apple TV - I bought the newer 1080p version and it's a great device for all things available via iTunes and some streaming
  • Xbox360 - I use it a lot for Netflix and HBOGo

I haven't tried a HTPC yet, but it sounds like it might be a more integrated route.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We've been using playon for over 3 years..now with WD Live boxes. It is a really convenient way to stream content from the web to your tv.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGVT  /t/1420672/cutting-the-cable-cord-need-suggestions#post_22229880

[*] Xbox360 - I use it a lot for Netflix and HBOGo

How do you get HBOGo without a cable/sat subscription?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
HTPC would work, but Hulu and HBOGo might not be the most user-friendly.

I don't think you can get all of those in one box. If you drop the terrestrial TV requirement, there are lots of media streamer boxes that would fit the bill.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Went down to the basic package and showed the family how it's still is a rip off but they are stubborn. Then D* gave us $20 off for a year.....so now it'll be even harder to cut it. Doh!

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
First. The most abysmal, cringe-worthy phrases, circa July 2012:

3. "Not so much."

2. "Cutting the cord."

1. "It is what it is."

Please avoid all three of them like they're toothless, drunken, zombies barreling down the road in a dump-trunk.

Boy, I have a $75 monthly DirecTV (for 2 rooms, whole-home DVR) that allows me to see ALL of my local sports teams in addition to other broadcast and cable programming that is nowhere to be found elsewhere.

By the time you add in the cost of the devices, PPV's, consider the quality of what's out there, and tally what you will no longer be able to view, I get less and less enchanted with the idea of dumping cable/sat service.

That may be just me though, perhaps Comcast is as insufferable as you claim.

Good luck.

James

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
"Went down to the basic package and showed the family how it's still is a rip off but they are stubborn. Then D* gave us $20 off for a year.....so now it'll be even harder to cut it. Doh!"

I'd like to learn how it's a rip off? Are we really getting to the point where people assume they'll buy a $99 box and watch a comparable quality/volume of programming for free (or at a substantially lower cost)? The fact that it's (the decision to leave) been made more difficult by DirecTV cutting another $20 should say something to you.

No, I'm not a shill for DirecTV or any other cable/sat provider, this stuff sounds great to me, but I always ask: what's walking out the door?

Where/how do you watch local sports...basketball, football, baseball, pro and college? Millions upon millions seem to value this.

What about programming not available online/through other providers? Yes, there's TONS of this out there...and much of the stuff that IS available comes at a cost, not surprisingly of course.

I'd REALLY like to see what the REAL bottom line of this is for most people. I'm certain it "works" for a percentage, but what are you REALLY saving and what are you REALLY losing?

James

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe  /t/1420672/cutting-the-cable-cord-need-suggestions#post_22232195

Where/how do you watch local sports...basketball, football, baseball, pro and college? Millions upon millions seem to value this.

This is true. If you really want to watch your local sports teams, you'll either need a pay-tv package or find a live stream (which usually looks like crap). But if you just want to watch sports, the major leagues do have online subscriptions available and those streams are in hd (local teams are blacked out).

Sure cord-cutting isn't for everyone, but there is enough out there to make it a viable alternative to a fair amount of people. The thing is you have to be ready to use multiple services and buy your own equipment. And most people aren't ready for that experience.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe  /t/1420672/cutting-the-cable-cord-need-suggestions/0_100#post_22232195

I'd REALLY like to see what the REAL bottom line of this is for most people. I'm certain it "works" for a good number, but what are you REALLY saving and what are you REALLY losing?
I think most of this is motivated by people getting financially squeezed and looking for the lowest hanging fruit to cut -- when the choice is between cable and the outrageous costs of a smart-phone, looks like cable is the greater evil. No question, you have to be willing to give up a huge amount of programming to drop pay-TV and go OTA. There will be some up-front hardware costs for DVR and Internet media streamers and you will be on your own for any problems. Cable content will still be available as long as you are willing to wait for the series to finish its season and come out on DVD -- paying $2 per episode to watch it on-line the next day can get costly very quickly.

And of course I completely agree with your point: for the millions and millions of sports junkies, there is absolutely no alternative to pay-TV. If they get strapped and have to cut costs, cable will be the last thing they drop.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues  /t/1420672/cutting-the-cable-cord-need-suggestions#post_22230220

How do you get HBOGo without a cable/sat subscription?

Maybe he was talking about it while he had ComCast cause I'm sure as you know if you don't have the cable you don't get the HBO no matter what.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The ONLY thing keeping me connected to D* is HD NCAA Football.

The solution we found, my family suffers only a little bit until they realize hulu/netflix/itunes is sufficient, is to turn off our subscription from the end of NBA basketball to the start of NCAA football. D* will allow you to pause your service with NO monthly cost twice per year. Maybe your cable company can do something similar? We go from whenever the Spurs lose in the playoffs to the Opening weekend with no TV. It saves us roughly $350/year and gives me the $$$ break I need to suffer through D* giving me save offers the rest of the year.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments. I am researching the HTPC route as well but I do have the ability to not include terrestrial TV in this component and just use this as a streaming and storage device. If there is something ready built that can do this, I am all for it.

Any other suggestions that exclude the terrestrial TV requirement are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
You know Boxee Box is beta testing a Live TV dongle to go along with there Box and they have alot of channels including NetFlix and Hulu. They do offer some Sports channels but some of the content is somewhat limited like say The Speed Channel. With the exception of the Live TV Dongle which isn't out yet you could always go to your local retailer and try one out.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm looking at Boxee based on your recommendation. Seems very interesting. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Maybe I am missing something on the antenna...but you could just hook an antenna up to your TV right? Did you want to record network shows?

Sounds like a PS3 with a good HD antenna is just what you're looking for. The ps3 will stream netflix and hulu, as well as provide storage capacity for anything you'd want to download or burn, through your PC. Ofcourse an HTPC would do the same thing but getting a PS3 out of the box and running in under 5 minutes sounds like a bonus.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts