AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[UPDATED 1/9/20]

This thread is intended to collect spec differences between the CX and the C9 (for those debating jumping on a discounted C9 versus holding out for a CX) as well as spec differences between the CX and the GX (for those debating holding off another year in the hope that some/most of those features make their way into the 2021 C-Series).

I’ll keep this lead post updated with a living list as details emerge and get posted.

From preliminary reports, all I’ve seen so far is:

CX versus C9:

-CX has support for FreeSync versus C9 which does not).

-CX supports 4k120 over HDMI 2.0 (via 4:2:0), while C9 will not be getting this feature.

-CX has 120Hz BFI versus C9 which does not (this is a major upgrade and will improve near-black uniformity by 50%)

-CX supports Conema Motion Pro which is probably double-shutter and/or triple-shutter emulation of 24fps content.

-CX includes Aloha-9 Gen 3 processor while C9 includes Alpha-9 Gen 2 (~half as fast/powerful)

-CX has Ambient AI (or whatever ir’s called which will modify gamma/EOTF based on ambient light conditions while C9 does not.

CX versus GX:

-CX does not have ATSC 3.0 versus GX which does

-CX comes with a stand while it is not yet clear whether the GX will include an optional stand or not.

Please keep additional details coming as they emerge...

·
Registered
406 Posts
The C9 has GSync via firmware update some months ago. What they supposedly added is Freesync for AMD cards.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
This thread is intended to collect spec differences between the CX and the C9 (for those debating jumping on a discounted C9 versus holding out for a CX) as well as spec differences between the CX and the GX (for those debating holding off another year in the hope that some/most of those features make their way into the 2021 C-Series).

I’ll keep this lead post updated with a living list as details emerge and get posted.

From preliminary reports, all I’ve seen so far is:

CX versus C9:

-CX has support for GSync versus C9 which does not (though apparently it goes through FW update)

CX versus GX:

-CX does not have ATSC 3.0 versus GX which does

Please keep additional details coming as they emerge...
The C9 has had GSync for at least a month.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is that confirmed? Is the capability equivalent?
Ah, I think you are referring to the separate G-Sync module/chip? I doubt the CX has that as it would add to the cost, it's probably VRR through Nvidia cards like the C9.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the CX allegedly has freesync support, haven't seen it listed officially anywhere yet though. Maybe they will be releasing that for C9 later as well through a firmware update, or maybe it can all be done on AMD's end

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
From what I've read, the GX series won't come with stands.
Techradar says, "there’s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Based on the FlatPanelsHD roundup, the GX will have "hands-free voice" that the CX will lack (basically the a microphone to use the LG voice assistant without the remote).

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I was interested in the GX until I found out you still need to run ugly HDMI cables and the power cord to it while mounted on the wall. Would have been better if it had a separate control box with an inconspicuous ribbon cable.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Why can't the GX have a stand? There were plasmas about as thin as the GX that had no problem being mounted on a stand.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Techradar says, "there’s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
What is it about ATSC 3.0 that makes this a disappointing day.
I am unfamiliar with 3.0 and what it makes it so special

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Techradar says, "there’️s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
What is it about ATSC 3.0 that makes this a disappointing day.
I am unfamiliar with 3.0 and what it makes it so special
CNET’s take on the subject: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/next-gen-tv-is-free-4k-tv-with-an-antenna-and-its-coming-this-year/

And more details from Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard supports 4K @ 120Hz and HDR...

Trials have already been started internationally (South Korea) and are slated to begin in select US media markets including the San Francisco Bay Area by the end of this year: https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/coming-soon-to-a-tv-station-near-you-top-40-tv-markets-launching-atsc-3-0/

“A broad coalition of broadcast television station groups – network owned-and-operated stations and affiliates, as well as public broadcasters – have announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020.

“Top 40 Markets where the first transitioning stations have been identified (ranked by population) include:

Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
Phoenix, Ariz.
Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
Detroit, Mich.
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
Portland, Ore.
Pittsburgh, Penn.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Baltimore, Maryland
Nashville, Tenn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas
Kansas City, Mo,
Columbus, Ohio
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Fla.
Las Vegas, Nev.
Austin, Texas”

If you only get your content through streaming or cable, you win’t care about ATSC 3.0. But if you watch any content you care about over the air, buying a new TV without ATSC 3.0 is likely to be obsolete before you get it out of the box...

It sounds as though this summer’s olympics may be a tad too early for broadcast in ATSC 3.0, but it’s a near-certainty that the next Olympics in 2024 will be (and probably also the 2022 Winter Olympics).

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/next-gen-tv-is-free-4k-tv-with-an-antenna-and-its-coming-this-year/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard supports 4K @ 120Hz and HDR...

Trials have already been started internationally (South Korea) and are slated to begin in select US media markets including the San Francisco Bay Area by the end of this year: https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/coming-soon-to-a-tv-station-near-you-top-40-tv-markets-launching-atsc-3-0/

“A broad coalition of broadcast television station groups – network owned-and-operated stations and affiliates, as well as public broadcasters – have announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020.

“Top 40 Markets where the first transitioning stations have been identified (ranked by population) include:

Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
Phoenix, Ariz.
Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
Detroit, Mich.
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
Portland, Ore.
Pittsburgh, Penn.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Baltimore, Maryland
Nashville, Tenn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas
Kansas City, Mo,
Columbus, Ohio
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Fla.
Las Vegas, Nev.
Austin, Texas”

What Baltimore Maryland is on there but not Metro DC (Northern Virgina, DC, and the part of Maryland that has deep pockets)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ah, I think you are referring to the separate G-Sync module/chip? I doubt the CX has that as it would add to the cost, it's probably VRR through Nvidia cards like the C9.
According to NVIDIA (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/) it's only G-Sync Compatible which doesn't really mean anything other than VRR/FreeSync verified/certified to work by NVIDIA.

The VRRR is only 40-120 Hz. With a actual G-Sync Module it would have been 1-120 Hz.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was interested in the GX until I found out you still need to run ugly HDMI cables and the power cord to it while mounted on the wall. Would have been better if it had a separate control box with an inconspicuous ribbon cable.

How are you actually supposed to feed the cables to the GX? Seems like you will have to do some kind of in-wall running of the cables and most likely the mount itself? Can't really see how you would be able to mount it that flush otherwise. I'm not familiar with the mounting of the Wallpaper series, but those are so thin (and light?) that you can get away with using slim magnets?

The reason why they don't use a separate control box with an inconspicuous cable is most likely do to bandwidth limitations. The WX seems to lack features such as BFI at 120Hz, VRR/HGIG/G-Sync etc.. I suppose this has something to do with limitations of the interconnect between the TV and the control box.

There are also a lot of people that don't really like the huge control box which doubles as a soundbar on the wallpaper series as they prefer to have their own soundbar and audio equipment. I think the GX is supposed to meet the demand from such a market.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
How are you actually supposed to feed the cables to the GX? Seems like you will have to do some kind of in-wall running of the cables and most likely the mount itself? Can't really see how you would be able to mount it that flush otherwise. I'm not familiar with the mounting of the Wallpaper series, but those are so thin (and light?) that you can get away with using slim magnets?

The reason why they don't use a separate control box with an inconspicuous cable is most likely do to bandwidth limitations. The WX seems to lack features such as BFI at 120Hz, VRR/HGIG/G-Sync etc.. I suppose this has something to do with limitations of the interconnect between the TV and the control box.

There are also a lot of people that don't really like the huge control box which doubles as a soundbar on the wallpaper series as they prefer to have their own soundbar and audio equipment. I think the GX is supposed to meet the demand from such a market.
If you go on the LG website you can see pictures of the back of the GX. Basically the cables go through the bottom of the TV and then snake through to the HDMI input board. So you will still somehow need to hide the cables at the bottom of the TV.

I'd like to see a small control box for just handling the power and HDMI stuff. Not all the speakers and BS like the WX. Samsung seems to have figured it out I believe on last year's TVs regarding the small control box.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts