AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Techradar says, "there’️s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
What is it about ATSC 3.0 that makes this a disappointing day.
I am unfamiliar with 3.0 and what it makes it so special
CNET’s take on the subject: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/next-gen-tv-is-free-4k-tv-with-an-antenna-and-its-coming-this-year/

And more details from Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard supports 4K @ 120Hz and HDR...

Trials have already been started internationally (South Korea) and are slated to begin in select US media markets including the San Francisco Bay Area by the end of this year: https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/coming-soon-to-a-tv-station-near-you-top-40-tv-markets-launching-atsc-3-0/

“A broad coalition of broadcast television station groups – network owned-and-operated stations and affiliates, as well as public broadcasters – have announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020.

“Top 40 Markets where the first transitioning stations have been identified (ranked by population) include:

Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
Phoenix, Ariz.
Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
Detroit, Mich.
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
Portland, Ore.
Pittsburgh, Penn.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Baltimore, Maryland
Nashville, Tenn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas
Kansas City, Mo,
Columbus, Ohio
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Fla.
Las Vegas, Nev.
Austin, Texas”

If you only get your content through streaming or cable, you win’t care about ATSC 3.0. But if you watch any content you care about over the air, buying a new TV without ATSC 3.0 is likely to be obsolete before you get it out of the box...

It sounds as though this summer’s olympics may be a tad too early for broadcast in ATSC 3.0, but it’s a near-certainty that the next Olympics in 2024 will be (and probably also the 2022 Winter Olympics).
That CNET article makes some good points, so I think I’m going to back off my ‘obsolete’ comment:

“HD tuners were inexpensive when they first came out, and are even more so now. The HD tuner I use is currently $26 on Amazon. Even if ATSC 3.0 tuners are more expensive when they first come out, by the time anyone actually requires one, they'll almost certainly be affordable.”

While I wouldn’t be ecstatic over the idea of another box in my media set-up, I’m not going to consider it a showstopper.

So I guess I’m going to track the 77CX through CES 2021 and decide to either jump on one on closeout or hold off for a 2021 WOLED depending on if there is enough new ‘there there’...

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you go on the LG website you can see pictures of the back of the GX. Basically the cables go through the bottom of the TV and then snake through to the HDMI input board. So you will still somehow need to hide the cables at the bottom of the TV.

I'd like to see a small control box for just handling the power and HDMI stuff. Not all the speakers and BS like the WX. Samsung seems to have figured it out I believe on last year's TVs regarding the small control box.
Hmm.. That sure looks like a lot of hassle. High-Speed HDMI cables tend to be rather thick and hard to deal with. Having to feed four of those through there + network cable + power wouldn't be a fun time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There are so many general CES threads, I may have missed it.... has 120hz BFI been confirmed or not for LG? This would be the single biggest differentiator over the C9/E9.

From what I've read, the GX series won't come with stands.
Techradar says, "there’s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
The specs list a stand and there were pictures of it from the Korea certification photos as well. It looks similar to the ZX and Sony LCD stands.
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled77gxpua-oled-4k-tv

DIMENSIONS/WEIGHTS/UPC
TV Dimensions with Stand (WxHxD) 67.8" x 41.3" x 12.7"
TV Dimensions without Stand (WxHxD) 67.8" x 39" x 0.9"
TV Weight with Stand (with Wall Mount) 118.8 lbs
TV Weight without Stand 86.9 lbs

Some journalists also said it wouldn't have speakers when the specs show a similar (but downfiring) 4.2ch 60W setup as the E9.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There are so many general CES threads, I may have missed it.... has 120hz BFI been confirmed or not for LG? This would be the single biggest differentiator over the C9/E9.

From what I've read, the GX series won't come with stands.
Techradar says, "there’️s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
The specs list a stand and there were pictures of it from the Korea certification photos as well. It looks similar to the ZX and Sony LCD stands.

DIMENSIONS/WEIGHTS/UPC

Some journalists also said it wouldn't have speakers when the specs show a similar (but downfiring) 4.2ch 60W setup as the E9.
I’m still waiting to see confirmation as well. We’ve seen plenty of snippets providing reason to be hopeful, and many who appear to have seen enough to conclude it’s a done deal, but until we see confirmation of 3.5ms MPRT (or at least

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Yeah that would be the biggest question about 2019 vs. 2020.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm getting pretty excited about the 2020 LG OLEDS. This could be the year to pull the trigger on a 77". With HDMI 2.1, better motion, better uniformity (theoretically, lets see), brightness, and pricing that should be pretty nice seems like the right time to jump on one. Been waiting a few years as I still have a damn nice TV in my Panasonic ZT plasma.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm getting pretty excited about the 2020 LG OLEDS. This could be the year to pull the trigger on a 77". With HDMI 2.1, better motion, better uniformity (theoretically, lets see), brightness, and pricing that should be pretty nice seems like the right time to jump on one. Been waiting a few years as I still have a damn nice TV in my Panasonic ZT plasma.
I am in the exact same boat as you...only a VT50 owner here

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Huh, has better motion, brightness and price been confirmed already?

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Huh, has better motion, brightness and price been confirmed already?
Odds are in favor of LG delivering 120Hz BFI this year, but it is not yet confirmed.

The new ‘Cinema Motion Pro’ (or whatever it’s called) sure sounds like double-shutter and/or triple-shutter projector simulation for 24fps content (which would constitute ‘motion improvements’ in it’s own right).

No reason to expect significant increases in brightness, though there is usually some incremental increase in either ABL limits and/or peak brightness levels of HDR highlights and in any case, BFI should get the autocompensation it should have had from the get-go.

Assuming LG is delivering 120Hz BFI (with brightness auto compensation), that will also improve near-black uniformity (2% shifts to 4% uniformity, 3% shifts to 6% uniformity, etc...).

And on pricing, LGD just announced their plan to deliver 6 million WOLED panels in 2020, double 2019 production, At that increased production level, I’m back to predicting 77CX launch MSRP of $5000 (30% below 77C9 launch MSRP) and bargain-hunters will probably be able to pick up a 77CX for close to $3000 come Black Friday shopping season (at least through online discounters).

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Hmm, so for this thread, I can maybe get the C9 65-inch at $2000 or $2500 at the worst for a couple more months.

But the CX 65-inch is likely to come out in the spring at $3500 or maybe $3000 and then drop to $2000 or less by BF.

Not that I'm in a big hurry.

Are they even touting an upgraded processor? Incremental improvements always help on this front. I likely won't use built-in apps. though I may have to if I want to view 4K and HDR content, since Apple TV 4K doesn't support 4K Youtube.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hmm, so for this thread, I can maybe get the C9 65-inch at $2000 or $2500 at the worst for a couple more months.

But the CX 65-inch is likely to come out in the spring at $3500 or maybe $3000 and then drop to $2000 or less by BF.

Not that I'm in a big hurry.

Are they even touting an upgraded processor? Incremental improvements always help on this front. I likely won't use built-in apps. though I may have to if I want to view 4K and HDR content, since Apple TV 4K doesn't support 4K Youtube.
If you are not in a rush, my advice would be to await first CX owner reports and review from comprehensive sights like Rtings.com and HDTVTest.

By then, the 65C9 will just start approaching closeout pricing and you’ll be able to pick one up for under $1500 or decide the 65CX with likely launch MSRP of twice that level looks like the better bet.

Or, if you prefer the 65CX but din’t like the 100% early-adopter’s tax and you’re truly not in a rush, you can wait until September when the 65CX should be widely available for under $2000...

That is exactly my plan, though I’m looking at the 77CX and am still happy-enough with my 65C6P that I’ll probably wait for CES’21 so see what the 77CY (or whatever) offers...

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Only thing is if there are sales of the C9 around the Super Bowl. But I can wait, there isn't something I have to watch right now in 4K HDR.

It really would be nice to hear the CX has second gen HDMI 2.1 chipsets and components and the Alpha whatever they call it is marginally better than last year, in addition to all the incremental panel improvements we hope for.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Only thing is if there are sales of the C9 around the Super Bowl. But I can wait, there isn't something I have to watch right now in 4K HDR.
Super Bowl Sales never better than Black Friday sales for WOLED, closeout pricing in May/June always better than Black Friday...

It really would be nice to hear the CX has second gen HDMI 2.1 chipsets and components and the Alpha whatever they call it is marginally better than last year, in addition to all the incremental panel improvements we hope for.
Which is exactly the reason to wait for Rtings.com, HDTVTest, and first owner reports here on AVS (alll generally available before the end of May, right in time for Closeout Season on the old model year ;)).

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

DIMENSIONS/WEIGHTS/UPC

I am so confused. I saw that earlier where the official specs list a stand, but no photo's of the TV on a stand. Some reports say it does, some say it does not...confusing. The GX series in 65 or 75 is what I am looking forward too but I cannot wall mount due to my entertainment center...so I need something that is on a stand.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Sony 940D, considering the CX. I really like the Sony... biggest issue is that HDR content is not bright enough. Way too dark for me. I just don't watch HDR movies and shows. Some games work well, some are too dark. Is the CX good enough?

·
Registered
53 Posts
the CX allegedly has freesync support, haven't seen it listed officially anywhere yet though. Maybe they will be releasing that for C9 later as well through a firmware update, or maybe it can all be done on AMD's end
My guess is that it's just HDMI 2.1 VRR implemented to work with AMD cards in the same way they did with Nvidia, which is why it's listed as an upcoming feature. Would not be surprised if it trickled down to C9 series as well.

The main reason to go for CX over C9 is the 48" model.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
CX looks increasingly likely to have 120Hz BFI which is a huge upgrade over the C9 (improves near-black uniformity by ~50%).

I’ve updated the lead post accordingly...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
For a set that would be dedicated for gaming, what are some of your thoughts on waiting on the CX versus going with a C9 now? I am looking at the 77" version, but I am pretty sure that the CX will be around $7,000 at launch and shortly after where you can get a 77" C9 for under $5400 today. Just looking for opinions. The set will be 95% for gaming, 5% or so for UHD Disc Movies.

Reactions: Bahn Yuki
21 - 40 of 76 Posts