AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a sneak peak. Sorry for image. Just got puter up and running today...now I am having scanning issues with the scanner!

This (poor) image is the step to the rear riser. You can see the Aluminum Diamond Tread plate on the step backing. This treadplate is also used as wainscoating for the rear half of the theater and bar area.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was going to post some other pics, but AVS says my pics are to big...I have been trying to address the scanner problem for over an hour. I need to get to bed. I guess I was premature in hopes of posting pics this evening!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is that dimond plate on the wall?

I will await more pics!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Looks awesome, Listening.

After you scan the photos, do you have any image editor software, like what might have come with the scanner? Try to find an option to resize the photo, then bring it down to like 480 X 640 or something.

That will bring it down to a smaller memory size, and we can all check out the rest of your awesome theater.....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to say, I have condemed the laptop IBM ThinkPad to it's eternal resting place. First the battery went dead, then the internal modem soon followed. The scanner (UMax) is about two years old now, so I imagine it too needs replacing. We shopped this weekend for a new PC...looking at DELL and HP models...we nearly made a spontaneous buy...but will wait til after Christmas.

I will attempt some scans at my neighbors and attach them here next week.

I finished two small soffets with rope lights at the front of the theater and ran rope lighting around the screen valance and curtains yesterday. Also hung two new B&W 601 S3 speakers for the rear center channel effects, then calibrated the system. Sounds awesome! Even the wife took notice to the additional rear imaging created by the new loudspeakers. Also picked up a new Black on Steel Metal 900mhz phone for the theater today...fits perfectly into the HT decor!!!

The diamond treadplate is 95% finished. Just a small area around the recessed fridge that needs completion. The diamond plate is used in 2/3 of the theater as wainscoating. I was afraid of potential LFE's causing vibrations and rattles, but I only isolated ONE vibration after the subwoofer calibration...that is in one rear can light.

I will decide next week to perhaps add more soffets w/ lighting to the middle and rear of the theater. Also need to decide whether to paint the ceiling black or not....hummm....decisions, decisions!

Then there is some trim work to do , microwave installation, and attach tactile sensors to the seats. The material lists have been rather inexpensive the last few months ( my wife would argue that!!!), but in order to call the theater "complete" is going to push the budget even more!.

Mainly looking at:

Two additional Berkline Cinema Loungers ($1200+)

Amplification for Aura BassPro tactile shakers ($150-$300)

SVS subwoofer w/ amplifier ($1000+)

Three sets of Black Velveteen/LightBlocking window curtains (Mother-in-law to make for about $130+)

Not really that bad, but with Christmas shopping going on and that much needed computer...whew...looks like I will be picking up some extra shifts at the hosptial this month!

I am really sorry about the pics, or rather lack of pics. It is one thing to try and describe something and another to show it! So bear with me.:mad:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Have you considered how reflective that metal diamond plate is going to be?? It might cause problems.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhhh..Steve...very good point.

Before installing the Diamond plate aluminum, I placed the metal sheets around various areas along the room's walls.

What I was able to achieve was untilizing the Diamond Tread Plate wainscoating from just to the sides of the front row loungers, running parallel along to the rear wall. Any aluminum to the front of the seating area would have definitly caused horrendous reflections of both light and shadows. The front row loungers block light from the screen from reaching the wainscoating along the sides of the rear riser seating.

The entrance to the theater also has wainscoating and is in front of the seating area, however, the entrance door and wall is at a 45 degree angle away from the screen...so again no reflection. I was very happy that the layout of the room permitted me to use such an unusual material in my design. The upper half of the walls are covered with thin black soft step carpet. This absorbs all light like a Black Hole and helps with acoustics. I am no expert in acoustics by any means, but I would be curious to have an actual expert audition the room and get a first hand analysis!

Also, the reflective quality of the aluminum can be an advantage. I have ran blue roplighting within the trim level where the black wall carpet meets the wainscoating. The blue glow is projected downwards along the aluminum, and controlled with remote dimmers. The effect causes the metal to change to a very soft blue glow. It really is a very nice effect!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cool:) I can't wait to see more. I love the look of steel. I want to use some in my lobby/bar if I ever get to it:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.