AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cyborg Theater Inspired by Terminator

By Grant Clauser
Custom fabricated cyborg artifacts make this a theater Cyberdyne would approve of.

We're not completely sure what would inspire a homeowner to jump at a new home theater room that looks like a tribute to the destruction of humanity, but it's been done before, so it qualifies as a trend. This particular home theater, done by Vivid F/X Custom Install Services in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is a great example of what a little sci-fi mixed with a lot of 21st century technology can do together.

Vivid F/X owner, DJ Gerling says the project started as a simple upgrade to the home owners' existing satellite television system. A visit to the basement to check out wiring revealed a largely untapped 14' x 21' space that begged for a home theater system.

The couple who lived there had been planning to place a plasma TV and a JBL HTiB between some old kitchen cabinets, but Gerling explained the possibilities of a full front projection system, and soon the couple was hooked. A little more questioning on Gerling's part about the couple's movie preference soon resulted in the Terminator idea.

Later that night, Gerling did his homework. I watched all the Terminator movies from the beginning that night well into the morning, taking notes on set design, shooting locations, and what elements we could integrate into the design. The majority of the design elements were inspired by the second movie: T2 - Judgement Day, says Gerling.

Click here for photos.

Click here for story.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I can't wait till I can have a dedicated room. I am going to do a battlestar them and have models of Galactica, Pegasis, and a Baystar in the room. Along with the color theme and maybe a raptor plus the stair ceiling.

Can't wait.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack /forum/post/19589268

I can't wait till I can have a dedicated room. I am going to do a battlestar them and have models of Galactica, Pegasis, and a Baystar in the room. Along with the color theme and maybe a raptor plus the stair ceiling.

Can't wait.

Wow sounds great. I'm going old school TV series myself Buck Rogers 25 century

DJoel

·
Registered
451 Posts
Remind me never to hire Vivid F/X Custom Install Services to build a HT. The diamond plating is only the beginning of the nightmare. That entire room looks like something I would have sketched on the back of my Social Studies binder back in Grade 8. The saddest part is that it probably cost a lot of money.

·
Registered
630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMark /forum/post/19590849

Remind me never to hire Vivid F/X Custom Install Services to build a HT. The diamond plating is only the beginning of the nightmare. That entire room looks like something I would have sketched on the back of my Social Studies binder back in Grade 8. The saddest part is that it probably cost a lot of money.

The only real part I liked was the terminator arms that held the projector. Thats a nice touch. The rest of it.. meh

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wow!!! Absolutely hideous. I feel like I would have a seizure trying to watch a movie in that room. Here's a great idea.....lets put an extremely reflective surface around the area of the picture.

·
Registered
135 Posts
With all that diamond plate, looks like a ******* pick 'em up truck. Love how the projector wires stretch halfway across the room to the soffit. So many wrong things here....is it possible to unsee something?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Nearly everything about this room is the opposite of what one would expect in a quality theater build.

Instead of light absorbing material around the screen, we have highly reflective diamond plate, combined with a light color scheme that will bounce light from the projector all over the place and limit the performance of whatever projector they put in there.

And acoustically, the room is a nightmare -- all the surfaces are hard and reflective. A room of that size, with contruction like that -- good luck getting any speakers to sound good in there.

·
Registered
13,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy /forum/post/19594676

Nearly everything about this room is the opposite of what one would expect in a quality theater build.

Instead of light absorbing material around the screen, we have highly reflective diamond plate, combined with a light color scheme that will bounce light from the projector all over the place and limit the performance of whatever projector they put in there.

wow is all I can say.. 2k in diamond plate? I a huge fan of the terminator series, I am not sure what the diamond plate is supposed to represent. As mentioned, the reflections alone are a killer.

now 'The Bridge' is my idea of a great theme executed well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I first got the home theater bug by discovering Darren Mortensen and his Cyberdyne Theater . I thought it looked really well executed when I found it on the AVS forum. Then I found out that I only live about a 1/4 mile from his house. Darren has some diamond plate in his theater, but not so much and not around his large screen. His theater sounds and looks great.

In my opinion, it is a much better executed Terminator themed theater.

·
Registered
13,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harness /forum/post/19595833

I first got the home theater bug by discovering Darren Mortensen and his Cyberdyne Theater . I thought it looked really well executed when I found it on the AVS forum. Then I found out that I only live about a 1/4 mile from his house. Darren has some diamond plate in his theater, but not so much and not around his large screen. His theater sounds and looks great.

In my opinion, it is a much better executed Terminator themed theater.

no comparison! that is a great setting for the theme. At first I was wondering why all that work for such a small screen, but then the drop down 150+ inch. nice details all over the room.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts