AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably my 10th sub box enclosure, but never had an application like this.

Basically I'm building the box into my coffee table, which is round.

So the enclosure will be under the bottom shelf, a 2' diameter, 6" tall cylinder.

Anybody know if this shape will work if I find a sub that can work with 1.4 cubic feet of air.?

I think I did the math right.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I gotta send this through again.

I'm afraid to have my only expertise/knowledge on sub box shapes to come from the salesmen.

I have the internal volume needed, and can port the enclosure, just don't want to carve up my coffee table, if the cylinder enclosure will be very inefficient.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, at least I know this design exists.

I'm planning on building it into our coffee table that has a 24" diameter lower shelf.

I can't find any subwoofer enclosures that are round (except bazookas), and I only have 16.5 inches from the floor to the bottom of the top shelf.

So I may have to go cube style box that would be a square cutout.

I think bazookas need to lay flat, not on the end where the woofer is and port.

I really want a 12, love the low end freq. 12's achieve over 10.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Plasma George
I can't find any subwoofer enclosures that are round (except bazookas
SVS and Hsu both have round (cylinder) enclosures. There are also bunch of DIY cylinder subs using sonotube as the most popular enclosure material - link . And if you search this section and the DIY section, you will find some recent postings about building a sonosub.

-Robert

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Check the size requirements..

"2' diameter, 6" tall"

or if on it's side

"6' diameter, 2' tall"

Considering the hassle of fitting a subwoofer into a cabinet it's probably easier just buy a small sealed box sub and fitting it the corner. I can't see the problem of a small sub myself. Women eh?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I want it small.

See my gallery, there are no hidden corners, the coffee table would be ideal, concealed out of sight, and also centered in a 16' joist span, very efficient location.

So I have 17 inches from the floor to the underside of the table top.

This is a good fit...
http://images.auctionhelper.com/imag...o.com/BS12.jpg

It's will fit a 12", do you like or dislike this.?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sonotube idea might work.! if I can get one that's 24" ID.

the floor would seal the bottom, the top I'd have to figure out as I go, maybe the sonotube would sleeve over the shelf (24" diameter)

The sonotube might wrap around it, I guess just use little screws avery 6" around the top.?

The shelf is very heavy wood, at least 1" thick.

I have to port the cylinder through the sonotube though.

Any comments on how to support 3" PVC through the rounded sonotube wall that's only 1/4" thick.?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.