AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this press release while researching which products use the Realta:

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=56551

I'd never heard of Cypress before and didn't find any posts on them in this forum. Here's their website profile:

Cypress Technology, founded in 1989, based in Taiwan, is a designer and manufacturer of a wide range of video and PC multimedia products. It specializes in video and image processing, analog/digital system design and RF communication. It exports over 90% of its production overseas, with either CYP or customers' own brand name.

I *love* the idea of being able to buy Realta processing a la carte without spending $2K for the Denon 3800 or Marantz BD8002.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At the risk of it appearing like "sour grapes", this is just the standard Silicon Optix Realta reference design in a new box (just like the now defunct NEC unit before it) but with HDMI 1.3 input/output!

No investment in extra features (or making them work properly) etc. You pays your money.....................

Watch this space............................

Zax

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gefen (and VisualEdge?) are releasing what sounds - at least superficially - similar to the Cypress Tech HQV scalar, too. Actually, several Gefen devices seem similar to Cypress products: their HD PVR, for example looks very similar, if not identical. I wonder if Gefen source some of their devices from Cypress, or whether they have a common source?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
What is the MSRP for the Gefen products?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am curious why you think the price will be lower than previous HQV products? I could not find any mention of the price.

you can find the info about the gefen products at
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/hometheater.jsp

Itai

·
Registered
652 Posts
"'Cypress has created a cost-effective scaler solution, bringing the power of HQV to the mainstream consumer. We're proud that it bears the HQV name,- said Jim Mannos, President and CEO of Silicon Optix."

In addition to the quote above, the link below also has a photo of the Cypress Instant HQV scaler box.

http://www.pr-inside.com/silicon-opt...ed-r374738.htm

I sent an email to Cypress asking about a release date. This box looks very promising to those of us who aren't satisfied with the video processing of our flat panel displays, but don't need the extensive options and $$ associated with a Crystalio, Radiance, etc.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
This sounds promising. I could definitely use a simple, but effective outboard video processor that isn't priced high for features that I'll never use. I hope this becomes a reality.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah I would like something that works for my other home systems. For my dedicated HT with FP, I am definitely needing a robust vp though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think zero point is onto something.

I exchanged emails with Frank Chye at Cypress as well as Gary Martin at Gefen and it appears that the Cypress Instant HQV HD Scaler and the Gefen TV Scaler Pro are the same product.

Frank Chye at Cypress said that the Instant HQV HD Scaler would be marketed by Gefen and would be available in late March. Gary at Gefen also said that the Gefen TV Scaler Pro would be available in late March with an MSRP of $699.

Neither confirmed that they are the same product, but it's a pretty easy conclusion to draw, although the picture in Frank's .pdf differs from the one james.92 linked in the Gefen TV Scaler Pro thread.

Frank at Cypress sent me a .pdf with the specs, but at 2MB it is too big too attach. If someone wants to host it I can email it to you.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
That seems like a reasonable price. I wonder if it will support virtual profiles and allow for simple brightness/contrast adjustments on top of the expected noise reduction, edge enhancement and deinterlacing controls.

Does anyone know the full extent of what adjustments the Realta's base design allows?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
While not absolutely necessary, I would like 60i to 24p conversion for SD DVD film material.

One thing I absolutely need is for this box to pass 1080/24p signals with no problems, as I will be sending my HD DVD and Blu-ray film material in native form.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/13100754

Here is a PDF with specs (in case anyone missed it in the other thread ).

InstantHQVProductBrief.pdf (2,121,248 bytes)

As I suspected, the output resolutions are very limited. I bet a lot of people will get one of these and discover that the preset output timings don't match what their display needs for 1:1 / native res. On the other hand, a lot people won't know (or care) that they are scaling their material twice.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Im curious how its limited, it supports the major 3 output resolutions.

1366X768, 720, and 1080p.

WHat other resolutions do "alot" of people use.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/13101059

Will this scaler convert from 60i to 24p?

I inquired to Cypress about this, and Frank Chye replied: "No, the HQV's scaler can only output 1080p @ 50hz or 60 hz."
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/13101264

One thing I absolutely need is for this box to pass 1080/24p signals with no problems, as I will be sending my HD DVD and Blu-ray film material in native form.

I will ask them about passing through 1080p24, since it is not the same as converting from 1080i60.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/13106574

Im curious how its limited, it supports the major 3 output resolutions.

1366X768, 720, and 1080p.

WHat other resolutions do "alot" of people use.

Well, 1024x768 is the resolution of most 42" plasmas, and many displays are off by a pixel or two, e.g., 1365x768.

Even if you think your set has the right number of pixels AND it offers some sort of "pixel perfect mode," the signal timings may be different -- which is precisely what happened to me. I bought a VP20 for my ED plasma because the VP20 literature said it had an 852x480 output signal, which matched the resolution of the display and was a supported signal format. Guess what? My set didn't recognize the signal at all. I had to upgrade to a VP30 so I could adjust the front port, back porch, hsync, vsync, etc. in order to get native rate working properly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts