AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV tech came today to install new 3 LNB Dish and new HD Receiver. I'll give him credit for showing up considering the cold and snow. He removed my old dish installed the new one and new Multiswitch. We go to the receiver and we have 0 signal on the 119. We get 95 on the 101 and 88 or so on the 110. I have lots of trees but he made no effort to move the dish. He just left and told me to call D*.

What options do I have? Can I install a seperate dish for the 119. I get the feeling the 119 is more east than the others? D* is to call me back in the next day to figure something out. Anyone have a seperate dish for one the SATS? How does this wiring work?

Very disappointing!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
119 is the westernmost slot at 119 degrees west longitude. 110 and 119 are piggybacked so it's a lot easier to use a separate dish for 101.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
119 is the lowest angle of the three from your location.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also can not get Sat B. I get a high 90s signal on A and a 66 signal on C. Directv has sent out many installers all of whom refuse to move the dish from its original location. I still have my original dish. How would I integrate this with the 18x20 dish? Is there a better dish out there than the Directv supplied one?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You need to do your own sighting for a dish location. If all else fails you could use two dishes, one for the 101 satellite and one for the 110/119 satellites. First I'd call DirecTV and complain that the installers they send refuse to relocate your dish. That is unacceptable.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The geostationary satellites form an arc in the sky, centered on your location. If you were located at 110 degrees west longitude, for instance, the 110 degree bird would be directly south of you. How high is determined by how far above (or below) the equator you are.

If you lived on the equator, the arc would be a straight line instead, with all sats stretching from east to west. As you move further north or south, the line becomes more and more curved.....near the north pole, it would be a very highly curved arc, but it's center would be very low in the sky, and the ends of the arc would be very close to due south.

If you were trying to get two or three sats from a particular location, and the middle location was a bird exactly south of you, the dish would be aimed south and it's skew would be set to zero degrees.....i.e., the "horizon" would be level. As you aim away from due south, the skew rotates....CCW for east, CW for west, so it matches the arc. The further north the dish is located, the steeper the angle (skew), since you are tracking this big "horseshoe" curve in the sky. Remember, due south is the level, top of the curve. As you reach the east and west ends of the curve, especially when your location is far north or south of the equator, the skew is almost perpendicular to the horizon.

This is why it is so important to make the mounting pole perfectly plumb, then set the skew angle as accurately as possible. Remember, the DBS dishes are offset feeds, so they receive signals from a lot higher in the sky than it looks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well D* agreed to send out another installer. I talked to him on the phone and he is at least experienced. I told him he would need to install it on my roof most likely and he was fine with that. Hopefully things go better this time. Thanks for all the posts. It really helped me determine where I need to install the dish in case this installer is as clueless as the last one.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You might have the same problem I have -- no clear line of sight for 119, good 101 access, and intermediate 110 signals. This is not uncommon in the middle Atlantic in areas with a lot of tall trees. There have been periodic rumors that D* might move HBO-HD and HDNET to 110.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.