Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooseadoo
Antone know where i can get a blue and green tubes for the D50? Used preferred.
I know a guy that has used tubes for the D50, but he gets $200 a piece for them. Why not just buy new ones from Sony, that's the best solution. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, Techman,

A few have suggested to scrap her, or send out for parts. She's got 12k hrs but the blue and green are toast.

For the $1000.00 US for new tubes, is there a replacement out there at this pricepoint that would more reliable seeing the D-50's amount of hrs.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooseadoo
Thanx, Techman,

A few have suggested to scrap her, or send out for parts. She's got 12k hrs but the blue and green are toast.

For the $1000.00 US for new tubes, is there a replacement out there at this pricepoint that would more reliable seeing the D-50's amount of hrs.
I would expect the tubes to be toast at 12K hours. The D50, other than the easily fixed brightness control problem, is a VERY reliable projector. If everything else is working and it's cosmetically in good shape, you would have a virtually brand new projector with new tubes.

I've replaced an awful lot of D50 tubes for people that love the projector. If you wanted to spend money, you could always buy the SIM2 SV800 they have a power buy on for $3995. I believe they are both about equal and good little projectors.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP
wHAT bRIGHTNESS & cONTROL PROBLEM?
"BRIGHTNESS CONTROL

What seems to happen is that once the projector (D50 only) gets around 4K hours or more on it, the "BRIGHTNESS CONTROL" fails to function any longer. Because most people use the projector with the ABG on, they might not even realize when the problem ocurred. If you turn off the ABG and try to raise and lower the brightness, you'll find that it doesn't change or changes a very small amount over it's ENTIRE range.

This problem has shown up in at least 75% of all the D50 I've ever seen, which is a considerable number, so it's a design defect as far as I'm concerned. Although I've spoken to Sony about it and they are well aware of it, they refuse to admit it's a design defect, but never do. :D The problem is on the PA board.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP
Is it fixable?
:p :D :p lol - It would be a sad state of affairs for D50 owners if it wasn't fixable. Of course it is. :rolleyes: I fix them all the time and previously posted about the problem that is on the PA board. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.