AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another message board (Home Theater Forum) someone posted that HBO's and Showtime's HD channels had been added to the HD Package on D*. They even posted a link to the D*'s website that had added HBO and Showtime logs to the page discussing the HD Package. A few weeks ago, someone on this site had posted that HBO's and Showtime's HD channels would be added in September. Recently, HBO and Showtime HD were added on channels 88 & 91, in addition to the two channels' normal locations in the 500s. All of this peaked my interest. I called D* and a CSR confirmed HBO and Showtime HD had been added to the HD package. I ask the CSR five different times to confirm this is correct and she did. If this is indeed true (I can't believe I am going to really save 12 dollars a month by not subscribing to the other six HBO channels I don't watch when my NFLST special runs out in January) many who believe the HD package is not worth the money will have to reevaluate. It could also signify D*'s intention to add Cinemax, Starz and other premium channel HD stations to the HD package. If anyone can confirm the addition of HBO and Showtime to D*s HD package, I might start believing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,557 Posts
I find this hard to believe. I could see Channel number reassignments to put them in the same group as the other HDTV channels, but I can't see them being available without full HBO or SHO subscriptions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,867 Posts
it would make sense, since they are on 88 and 91 now too.


can't confirm though, sorry



sounds great as long as the HD package does not increase (or increase sizeably)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may be a victim of a bad CSR. If anyone has any good contacts at d* it may be worth asking. D*s competition from Comcast on the HD front may be forcing it to be more aggressive with the HD package
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
I can't imagine why HBO or SHO would allow this---they charge $12.00 per sub through D*. Sounds like bad info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your CSR was probably right. The deal is too good to be true. Although I though the Sammy t160 deal was too good to be true as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this. A Best Buy employee had a printed memo that HBO and Showtime would be included in the HD package, and a second-level D* Tech support person confirmed this after I explained to him the difference between 480p and 1080i. Now if I just had that new access card for my receiver, maybe I could get ST channels 71 and 72 to display correctly. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wilbur1972
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this. A Best Buy employee had a printed memo that HBO and Showtime would be included in the HD package, and a second-level D* Tech support person confirmed this after I explained to him the difference between 480p and 1080i. Now if I just had that new access card for my receiver, maybe I could get ST channels 71 and 72 to display correctly. :)


huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have only had the HD package for a week. Does anyone know when 88 and 91 were added as HD channels? The only reason I made the call to D* was the fact HBO and SHO HD were duplicated, seemed to me to give greater credence to the rumor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
Since the HD package was launched they have been at 88 and 509 (HBO), 91 and 543 (SHO).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha21
huh?
This was a list/parody of the false information we've received about D*'s HD programming over the past year, from a bogus Best Buy memo that one person saw regarding HD programming to a Tech support person who I had to explain the difference to between HD, ED and SD formats (he had never even heard of 720p, and this was after ESPN had been made available by D*).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Wouldnt this be easy to resolve? Anyone getting the *D HD package and NOT subscribing to hbo or sho...I ask do you get hbo-hd and sho-hd coming thru? (channels under 100)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randym431
Wouldnt this be easy to resolve? Anyone getting the *D HD package and NOT subscribing to hbo or sho...I ask do you get hbo-hd and sho-hd coming thru? (channels under 100)
I subscribe to HBO and get HBO-HD, and I do not subscribe to SHO and do not get SHO-HD.


Hope it helps,

Kirill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BCrist
On another message board (Home Theater Forum) someone posted that HBO's and Showtime's HD channels had been added to the HD Package on D*. They even posted a link to the D*'s website that had added HBO and Showtime logs to the page discussing the HD Package. A few weeks ago, someone on this site had posted that HBO's and Showtime's HD channels would be added in September. Recently, HBO and Showtime HD were added on channels 88 & 91, in addition to the two channels' normal locations in the 500s. All of this peaked my interest. I called D* and a CSR confirmed HBO and Showtime HD had been added to the HD package. I ask the CSR five different times to confirm this is correct and she did. If this is indeed true (I can't believe I am going to really save 12 dollars a month by not subscribing to the other six HBO channels I don't watch when my NFLST special runs out in January) many who believe the HD package is not worth the money will have to reevaluate. It could also signify D*'s intention to add Cinemax, Starz and other premium channel HD stations to the HD package. If anyone can confirm the addition of HBO and Showtime to D*s HD package, I might start believing.
I can confirm that it is NOT true. I subscribe to HBO and the HD package. Showtime-HD has never come in for me. Ever. You just got a clueless CSR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wilbur1972
This was a list/parody of the false information we've received about D*'s HD programming over the past year, from a bogus Best Buy memo that one person saw regarding HD programming to a Tech support person who I had to explain the difference to between HD, ED and SD formats (he had never even heard of 720p, and this was after ESPN had been made available by D*).
thought that was pretty funny!!!!

just making sure it was supposed to be!!!!

(actually some of it shouldn't be funny, but it was)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top