Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I do believe Sandman did the D-Box.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's a rather long thread in the Ultra HT forum on D-Box.

I'd love to use dbox for my next home theater, but the distribution/channel model doesn't really lend itself to the DIY crowd.

It seems to me d-box works very hard to maintain their margins and their dealer channel and this high end positioning is somewhat at odds for a DIY install.

The only dealer I found nearby wanted $40k for 6 seats installed, and wasn't really interested in selling me just the parts to do it myself.

I wish d-box would have a product or dealer (perhaps under a different brand), that offers online sales, parts information, actuator load information - the stuff you need to know to be able to roll your own).

Or even - a software only solution where I can roll my own d-box PC controller and buy the actuators from the OEM.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats a interesting idea ... if it were more affordable then we would be talking about D-Box Rough-ins in our Theater builds more often ... any idea what kind of cable is needed between the controller and the actuators ?

·
Registered
529 Posts
OMG. That gamers chair would be awesome for playing R-Factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a d-box system on 12/24, and its quite awesome;

about 12K for the SRP 330 and Series 4 controller; super easy to install; i was up and running within 90 minutes.

only issue i ran into was the stupid pcm type settings in my DVD player; 1 phone call to d-box, and that ws fixed a minute later.

I've been using it every day since.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If prices on this technology dropped a bit, I would love to use it in my theater. Until then, bass shakers are the best I can do.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd love to have a D-Box, but the gazillion dollar price tag was a bit steep for me. I'd rather pay an astute midget $20 per movie to shake my chair for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts