Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but...

Starwars will have every DLP chip in the world lit up in a cinema. Im thinking there might be some exceptions to the above list.

Also isn't that list a bit old now ???

It also the first one I went to as well...But that list hasn't changed in like 9 months.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Here is a list of Boeing's new sites, I'll see if I can find a list for Technicolor's new installations, THE best venue to see SWII will be at the Mann's Chinese - outside of the Stag Theatre of course.

Theatres that are installing Boeing Digital Cinema include:

-- Dickinson: Northrock 14, Wichita, Kan.

-- Emagine: Cinema Hollywood, Birch Run, Mich.

-- Loews: Boston Commons, Boston; Magic Johnson, Los Angeles; McClurg

Court, Chicago; Sony Metreon, San Francisco; Star Theatre,

Southfield, Mich.; Universal Cineplex Odeon, Universal City,

Calif.

-- Malco: Cordova Cinema, Memphis, Tenn.; Majestic 20, Memphis,

Tenn.; Malco Town Cinema, Rogers, Ark.

-- Oasis: Ritzy, London.

-- Ritz: Ritz Theatre, Big Spring, Texas

-- UltraStar: UltraStar Chula Vista, Chula Vista, Calif.; UltraStar

Del Mar Highlands 8, San Diego; UltraStar LaCosta 6, Carlsbad,

Calif.; UltraStar Poway Creekside, Poway, Calif.

-- Vulcan: Cinerama, Seattle

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

i didn't know Boeing had been that serious yet. I thought all they did was do a booth at Showest :)

Same with Technicolor

You have brought up a good point..

Barco, Digital Projection and Christie are all doing the TI Cinema head as well..

Hmmm... Technicolor was playing with the JVC DILA, Hmmmm...

Thats a interesting thought, mabey the best digital showing won't be on a TI Cinema head ata ll but a DILA !!.. I wonder if any are deployed for real yet ???...

Is Mann's Chinese digital ??..

My view is that the ONLY way to see this movie is digital.

·
Registered
622 Posts
D-ILA hasn't been blessed by Hollywood...yet. They also cannot do large screens, >30ft wide with the same color gamut that TI has already. The Mann Chinese has a Christie DCP, image is ~65ft wide.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Mann a mark 7 head ?. Or version 7 or what ever they are calling the newest one ?. I want to be sure im watching the most recent head.

Ok then for me its the Mann Chinese, however I still have a friend in Atlanta who is a Starwars nut who had no idea D-Cine existed untill last nite. Yea makes you wonder just how big a Starwars fan he really was now doesn't it :). But I need to find him the closest place to drive to with a d-cine. As with most Starwars fans he would drive 10000 miles to see it, I am just hoping to find him a closer theater.

The JVC shure is being pitched as a D-Cine box. Your saying it doesn't have the same gamut as the DLP head ?. That would be manditory for D-Cine use ?!.

You are right, it is sorta considered a curiosity in the real D-Cine world and does appear that its unblessed at the moment. Good point as well about the light output. There will need to be a DILA cinema head that will bolt onto a standard lamp house before its really a d-cine device. What was JVC thinking !?!?..The QX1G is WAY less flexible then the TI Cinema head !.

Still I would want to see SW II on it. The vastly higher resolution would be very cool to see.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yep, Chinese is a 'm15' head, latest and greatest.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020227/daw041_1.html

D-ILA has a ways to go on the big screens..... big difference between 7k lumens and 14k lumens, especially with LCOS. What JVC and Kodak have been showing is a commercial unit (slightly customized in Kodak's case), neither have show a professional or cinema grade unit - although I hear they are working on it. Definitely have the resolution card in their pocket, but brightness still is king in cinema - and I guarantee no one will complain about the image at the Chinese 'only' being SXGA.

Chris, I know you live in a different 'world' but not everyone can afford a Teranex to go with their QX-1.... (knowing you, probably double stacked).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No no no.. You don't double stack a QX you do a side by side "stack" for a 4k x 1500 picture. :) I guess it would be cool to do a quad "array" for 4kx3k..:) :)

After spending a buch of time with a 2048x1536 picture I will complain about a SXGA picture. Its a HUGE difference.

However, I think there are cards on both sides.

Hmmm,, so the heat on the LCOS is an issue. Makes sense. Thats sure a limiting factor that no one has talked about that I know of. Yes the D-ILA would absorb a huge amount of heat at 14K lumens. Requires liquid cooling in the case of the DLP.

As I have little need to throw a 65' wide picture im more concerned with it working on a 96" wide picture. This has a whole other set of issues. The TI Head is cool cuz you just use or make a tiny small very custom lamp house with the exact wattage you need as its designed for much higher light outputs the contrast ratio is really great. SO I have need for a D-ILA cinema head for a different reason, the commercial JVC is geared towards large screens and getting it down to 16fL on a 96" is a problem if you want to keep quality where as the TI Head does it amost stock.

The issue I have currently with the TI Head is the false sharpening of the picture caused by the sharp MTF of the pixels and low resolution of the array. This -sharpening- leads to a falsely sharp looking picture.

So I think there is no clear winner yet. I think which one is used depends A LOT on the exact installation space and screen size. The JVC uses custom lenses, not the standard mount, this is also a issue.

BUT THIS ISN'T WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT !!!!!!!!

I need a D-cine projector in some reasonable distance from Atlanta !! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.