AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still getting to know my SIR-TS160 HD receiver from D*, so pardon the [dumb] questions... I've noticed today that Discovery HD is very, uh, stuttery, especially in scenes where there's a lot of full-screen motion/panning. It almost looks like digital video that has too much data in the stream that causes a loss of framerate. I checked my satellite signal strength and I have 80%+ on every transponder on the 110 sat. Anyone seen this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I noticed this too on some programs on most D*TV HD channels. I suspect its due to the recompression D*TV uses to fit two HD channels on one transponder - the original 19+ mbps 1080i signal is compressed to 15 mbps on-the-fly. This is a crude technique that sacrifices PQ and causes pixellation during motion.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zvogt
This post explains why there are stuttering problems when there's

camera motion:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...62#post2346962
I read the entire thread and was suprised by the conclusion. To blame it entirely on the encoders was a bit misleading. I believe the "problem" they were discussing is inherent to DLP based systems and is what most refer to as temporal dithering. I'm suprised no one ever mentioned that. Sorry to take this OT but I just wanted to point out that the explananation in the previous thread may not fully explain the problem described here.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Some folks blame the problem completely on the satellite providers

(who I'm sure do in fact shoulder a lot of the blame for what's being

discussed in this particular thread), and some are (apparently) placing

blame on the display technology. But I still see this same jerkiness on

fast on-screen motion and camera pans, and I'm using OTA and a

non-DLP display. I think tecman's post is most reasonable explanation

I've read for the jerkiness I'm seeing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status