Four I don't usually get:

• 255 MGM HD

• 267 Smithsonian Channel HD

• 275 Crime & Investigation HD -- Moved to 289 -- 17 Aug 2009

• 332 Palladia

Two I do usually get (grandfathered):

• 259 Universal HD

• 552 HDNet Movies

This is a promotion for DirecTV's HD Extra Pack.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldmaga /forum/post/16997822

If I may ask, how did you get UHD and HDNM grandfathered.

Simply by signing up for the HD Pack back in August 2004. The HD Pack cost $10.99 extra -- but it was the only HD available then, aside from HBOH (70), SHOH (71), and any channels you could pick up over the air with your HR10-250. These were the channels in the pack:

• 72 ESPN2 HD (added 8 Sep 2005)

• 73 ESPN HD

• 74 Universal HD

• 75 Turner Network Television HD (added 17 Feb 2006)

• 76 Discovery HD Theater (changed to HD Theater, 22 Sep 2007)

• 78 HDNet Movies

• 79 HDNet

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
OK. I'll bite.

They should be free -- because?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano /forum/post/16998223

Wow, giving something away free that should be anyway.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well some people find charging extra for a channel just because it has no SD equivalent to be a shameless money grab, when you are already paying D* monthly fee for HD service. I dropped the HD "extra" after a year because I just don't watch those channels enough to justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive /forum/post/16999573

Well some people find charging extra for a channel just because it has no SD equivalent to be a shameless money grab, when you are already paying D* monthly fee for HD service. I dropped the HD "extra" after a year because I just don't watch those channels enough to justify the extra cost.

Pretty much my reasons as well. Since I cancelled the pack, I've checked from time to time via program guides what I've been missing. Hasn't been compelling enough to re-up.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/16999746

Pretty much my reasons as well. Since I cancelled the pack, I've checked from time to time via program guides what I've been missing. Hasn't been compelling enough to re-up.

same here. I dropped it as soon as they wanted extra for it. Ridiculous. And then a while later I dropped D*.

·
Registered
761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/16999414

OK. I'll bite.

They should be free -- because?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/16999746

It should be included with the $10 monthly fee D* charges for HD access on top of what I pay for the programming package. Besides, I am one of their "loyal" customers as they constantly tell me. I would rather have the HD extra pack vs. the three months of Showtime they gave me for free instead.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
If u go to the directv website i would think alot of people will be eligible for free 3 months of these channels.

Sign in & go to the "my programmimg section' & where the "add premiums" are it should give u the option to add it.

Now if u have an older grandfathered package u cant add online but if u call directv they will add it for u without having to upgrade you package.

Just remember to cancel before the 3 months are up before u start getting billed.

Also some people even after canceling got an another option for 3 more free month again.

·
Premium Member
36,349 Posts
I just found out yesterday that local HD channels from DirecTV actually costs the $10 HD access fee, they don't come with the base package price. I had always assumed that the local HD channels were provided "free", or at least included in the package but apparently that's not the case. If you want any HD at all you have to pay the extra $10 per month.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I have this package and its really good if you want to see classic movies in HD (MGMHD, HDNet Movies, some Palladia). I had it free the first 6 months when I first got HD.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/17001747

I just found out yesterday that local HD channels from DirecTV actually costs the $10 HD access fee, they don't come with the base package price. I had always assumed that the local HD channels were provided "free", or at least included in the package but apparently that's not the case. If you want any HD at all you have to pay the extra $10 per month.

That is correct. Now, how long they can get away with that nonsense now that more and more channels are broadcasting in HD is anybody's guess...which is one of the reasons being charged yet another $10 for an "HD Extra" package is so irksome to some of us. Those channel including the pack are hardly "premium" given the amount of repeats they broadcast.

I suppose their eventual plan is to just raise the rates by (at least) $10 and drop the "surcharge".

·
Premium Member
36,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/17001790

That is correct. Now, how long they can get away with that nonsense now that more and more channels are broadcasting in HD is anybody's guess...which is one of the reasons being charged yet another $10 for an "HD Extra" package is so irksome to some of us. Those channel including the pack are hardly "premium" given the amount of repeats they broadcast.

I suppose their eventual plan is to just raise the rates by (at least) $10 and drop the "surcharge".

It is a somewhat "dated" concept, Comcast doesn't charge any such fee, at least in the SF bay area. They do charge if you use their equipment, just as DirecTV does, but no "HD fee" just for the privilege of receiving HD programming.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/17001855

It is a somewhat "dated" concept, Comcast doesn't charge any such fee, at least in the SF bay area. They do charge if you use their equipment, just as DirecTV does, but no "HD fee" just for the privilege of receiving HD programming.

In my experience the Comcast equipment is much more expensive as well when you need many receivers.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy /forum/post/16999022

Simply by signing up for the HD Pack back in August 2004. IIRC, the HD Pack cost $9.99 extra -- but it was the only HD available then, aside from HBOH (70), SHOH (71), and any channels you could pick up over the air with your HR10-250. These were the channels in the pack:

72 ESPN2 HD (added 8 Sep 2005)

73 ESPN HD

74 Universal HD

75 Turner Network Television HD

76 Discovery HD Theater (changed to HD Theater, 22 Sep 2007)

78 HDNet Movies

79 HDNet

Which is why I was curious. I was also an HD subscriber way back when there were just those channels. But I was not grandfathered into keeping HDNM and Universal. Should I have a beef with Directv over this?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, Baldmaga, I think you should ask for those two channels. Maybe they have a good explanation. If they don't, maybe they'll give 'em back to you. (I'm serious.)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just now added the 4 HD Extra Pack channels that were new to me, and found that Crime & Investigation HD has moved from 275 to 289 (replacing Game Lounge Portal). 275 is now QVC.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Direct never mentions having to pay extra for HD packages...funny how that is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts