AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of trying to get the $99 D* HD box deal for current customers. As long as I well be making some changes, I was also thinking of upgrading my audio receiver to either the Onkyo TX-SR601 or possible the 701.

Is it a good or bad idea to use the receiver for my component video switching? I currently have my OTA HD box and my progressive scan DVD player going directly to the TV.

Before I change my set-up I want to find out if there are any negatives to hooking up both the DVD & HD box through the Onkyo receiver and then out to the TV?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JT

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the receivers you listed but the one thing you have to check is that the component video inputs on the receiver are "HD compaitble"/wideband/etc...basically that they have enough bandwidth to accomodate the HDTV signal. Most receivers usually tout this as a feature so if the component video inputs on the receiver do have the sufficient bandwidth HDTV requires, you shouldn't have any trouble locating some piece of documentation on the receiver's advertising sticker that states this. Look up the receivers on the manufacturer's website, it should state if it has the feature there. I let my HK 7200 receiver do my HD component video switching and it looks great to me. Of course, the theory goes, the more times you rout/transfer a signal through whatever, the signal will be degraded somewhat (even if only by a miniscule or undetectable amount) so maybe technically by going through the receiver you are losing something but assuming that is true, I certainly don't notice a difference in PQ between connecting directly through the tv or going through the receiver. Some people state they see a difference and will only connect directly to the tv to get the best possible picture but I think you will be fine if you let the receiver do the switching, especially if it is a good, well-made unit. A lot of it is personal preference as well...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.