AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. I have been off the forum for a while due to satisfaction with my current setup and NO problems. Until...

I have the Hughes HTL-HD and have been very pleased but recently noticed that I could not purchase PPV movies via the remote. After doing the troubleshooting song and dance, the D* tech decided that there was a modem failure with the reciever and they would send a new one. I specifically requested that the replacement be the same HTL-HD that I have been happy with. Of course they couldn't guarantee that would be what I recieved. The replacement arrived today and is the H10. After searching and reviewing previous posts, it doesn't look like I will want to keep this problem plagued, stripped down receiver.

Anyone with any thoughts or insight please reply. I think I can live with no modem access vs the issues with the H10. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not at all. But after getting the H10, I guess I just want to confirm everyone's negative feelings toward it before I return it. As I said, I had requested for D* to send another Hughes unit but apparently there are no more.

I'll be keeping my current receiver and as you suggest order movies online.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my HTL-HD 8 1/2 months ago. It was a floor model. I have not had any of the common problems that I've seen posted elsewhere. Maybe its a fluke. {fingers crossed}

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayn
Not at all. But after getting the H10, I guess I just want to confirm everyone's negative feelings toward it before I return it. As I said, I had requested for D* to send another Hughes unit but apparently there are no more.

I'll be keeping my current receiver and as you suggest order movies online.

Thanks
The DirecTV installer is at my house right now, setting up a brand new Hughes box. I had to wait 3 extra days, because they were getting an entire shipment in yesterday...So, they do still exist, but may be out at any given time (I was told there are no more also, but lo and behold...here it is!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll call right away and see what shakes. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'm in no hurry.

The HTL-HD has been very stable and with it's pretty full feature set, I am very reluctant to give it up. (So what that it's dog ugly). What about the coming transfer to MPEG4? I suppose I'll have to change then anyway. Let's hope the new generation of STB's are well thought out.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I've had an H-10 for the last two weeks, and I have to admit, I like it. It received the new firmware, but even the few days before that, it didn't give me any troubles.

The caller Id reboot issue has never showed up and I'm using component out, so there is no issue with blacks.

While I still use my trusty DTC-100, I'm really enjoying the speed of the H-10 (plus better integration of locals in the guide, and second zip code function).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.