AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some friends over to watch both a DVD (using HTPC w/Radeon) and also some HDTV through a D-VHS machine.

One of the attendees who has a D-VHS set up said the D-VHS stuff just doesn't look as "razor" sharp as it does on his set up (50" Pioneer Plasma) and that the DVD versions of the D-VHS films look as good if not a bit 'sharper' than the HDTV material.

What gives?

He also said he noticed some ringing (I couldn't see it, but don't deny its there) on the D-VHS material.

I know the HTPC sends a 1360x1024p signal, and am wondering if the D-VHS HDTV material isn't sharp because of internal conversion of the 1080i signal.

Anyone (maybe Dean?) shed some light on this? Would it be that beneficial to obtain a Vigatec to upconvert 1080i to 1080p->1360x1024 ?

Love to hear some comments...

-brian

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Maybe he was pullling your leg. :)

I prefer the image from the Vigatec to native 1080i. It seems slightly sharper and has significantly fewer artifacts.

What D-VHS movies did you watch.

Were you using a Panasonic HD1000? Perhaps I have the same recordings..

Frank

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hi Brian,

How did you have the unit connected to the D-ILA? (What physical input on the projector?)

What source resolution was selected when viewing HDTV material?

Frank,

I am not questioning your statement regarding the Vig conversion to 1365*1024 for 1080i, but you are the only person with a D-ILA who has written they prefer the Vig Scaled to native 1080i.

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, question would be what didn't we watch:

- Ronin

- Titanic

- Italy (some PBS film shot in HD-CAM)

- Wall Street

- Real Genius

(all 1080i)

That's just some of the films we were checking out. No, he wasn't pulling my leg (but was amazed how good HTPC was).

I have the JVC DH30000 hooked up via component video. And yes, it was running in HD mode and not SD mode.

The JVC was running in 1080i mode as well.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Frank,

I am not questioning your statement regarding the Vig conversion to 1365*1024 for 1080i, but you are the only person with a D-ILA who has written they prefer the Vig Scaled to native 1080i.
I do not like the way the Vigatec converts a RGBHV 1080i to 1360:1024 but I do like the way it works when converting from YUV 1080i. I don't know why the results are different.

Frank

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
- Ronin

- Titanic

- Italy (some PBS film shot in HD-CAM)

- Wall Street

- Real Genius
I assume you are talking about 'Visions of Italy Southern Style'.

If it didn't look about 5 times sharper then the rest of those then something is definately wrong.

I have recordings of those movies also and the movies are soft,soft soft in comparison to 'Italy'.

Frank

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Frank,

what STB have you been using to feed the YUV signal to vig?

Thanks for the info.

Brian,

I have seen the same PBS run of the "Visions of Italy", and would have to conclude that something is not right in the signal path. Do you have an STB for HDTV?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Frank,

what STB have you been using to feed the YUV signal to vig?
Sony Sat HD-100

Correction:

I meant to say, Panasonic DST51. Sorry.......

The Sony doesn't sync properly.

Frank

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a D-ILA, a Faroudja 3000, a Victor 30000, and have experienced exactly the same things. I don't live in the US, but I have several DVHS recordings.

First point: with my setup, several CBS OTA shows like CSI and Nash Brides just blow away any DVD in all aspects. You don't have to make a comparison. The color gamut, the details, everything is so much better that you'd have to be blind not to acknowledge that after just 10 seconds of viewing.

Second point: many HD movies are barely better, and often worse than DVD. For example, "U.S. Marshals" and "Deep Impact" are just not worth it, the DVD is better.

Third point: a few HD movies at first look will appear softer than the DVD. But if you crank up the sharpness of the D-ILA projector, up to 2 or 3 (the maximum setting is 8), the image becomes suddenly much sharper without any ringing, and if you compare to the DVD, you slowly start to realize how much better it is, with much more details and colors you never see on the DVD. Two examples: "Frequency" and "Final Destination".

Fourth point: that *should* not be the case, but several HD transfers show a ringing which looks like EE, but much closer to the object edges than with DVD. An extreme example is "Cruel Intentions", which is clearly HD with lots of details and colors, but with so much ringing that it becomes unwatchable.

I rate CSI at 400% above a DVD, and "Frequency" at 200% in terms of details and 300% in terms of color. Likely, with a QXGA projector fully resolving 1080i, CSI would rate higher, but not the movies.

My conclusion is that the movies transfers are often botched, and that the best ones while being vastly superior to DVDs are still far from state of the art. I would say that it looks like there is a deliberate will not to provide movies with too high a resolution.

Also, I thought initially that HDCAM material looked sharper than film, but the best image I ever saw was from Nash Bridges and (please correct me if I am wrong), I am quite sure this show was shot on film. I have seen flashbacks on one episode which were framed on a 4:3 format, but with the same HD quality.

Conclusion for D-ILA owners: play with the sharpness menu, you'll be surprised with the few good transfers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.