Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just read on the TAW forum, that Phil expect their new Dila projector will out perform 2 stacked G90's. Bold statement.

Could this be true if the use the "regular" dila panel?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Well if Phil said it then it must be so.

After all Dave Thomas says his burgers are better than McDonalds. And Henry Ford said his Model T was better than a Packard. And Oreck says his vacuum cleaner is better than

an Electrolux.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
842 Posts
In what respect?

Convergence, you betcha. One dila projector is going to

have far better convergence than a stacked pair of g90's.

Its hard enough to perfectly converge one g90, two of

them on top of each other pointed to the same screen.

You gotta be kidding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I have to take what ever Phil say with a grain of salt. Just dont understand why he will make so bold a statement. He also says it will beat stacked Vision one combo. Doesn't sound likely.

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Here's quote from a famous salesman:

"I don't care WHAT they say about me, as long as they say about me."

'Bad press' is as good as 'good press', as long as you are in the news, and on the tip of everyone's tounge.

You fell for it, not me.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Why then does TAW sell the much more expensive CRT models they do?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
493 Posts
Like Kevin said, in what respect?

Convergence, yes. Brightness, definitely...

As for black level, we'll see. I think TAW plans on showing their new digital projector at CEDIA this year and I'm VERY eager to check it out.

I love my G-11, but it's black level (particularly uncalibrated) even with a GreyHawk screen isn't the greatest compared to a CRT.

------------------

The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
My calibrated and Grayhawk D-ILA looks awesome, and while the black levels are more than 50% better (IMHO) than any other LCD or D-ILA I've seen, I still can't say they rival a CRT.

And if I had the money to blow, and the time to converge, hell, I'd go with 2 double stacked G90s....

-brian

------------------

*always looking for Hi-Vision laserdiscs*

·
Registered
496 Posts
Patrick -

What do you call Phil's comment about besting stacked G90's? These guys have a real credibility problem, and I'm not the only one to see it. My comment wasn't a troll (any more than the original poster); I'd tell ANYONE here to take TAW's pronouncements with a grain of salt.

- Marc

[This message has been edited by mblank (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Marc,

I dont blame you- Im not a big fan of Phil's comments. I think he goes too far.

As to their projector being better than Vision Ones or G90s or whatever CRT- youll have a hard time convincing the CRT crowd of this. Personally I now fall into the digital camp (dila/dlp) because of the larger screen sizes they allow you and the gobs of light output they allow. they dont have absolutely black blacks- but they improve all the time. Also- if we're striving for "film-like" then when was the last time you saw absolute blacks at the theater? (its nearly impossible) but what you should have is a very large screen. Its all personal preference of course. Im sure their dila will be very good.

- Jerry

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, maybe I shouldn't have posted this. Did not mean to start yet another TAW "war".

Just wondering if they really could come up with a new dila that would outperform a CRT. Do any of you have any idea, as to what kind of improvement (over the dila's that are here already), they could have made?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
496 Posts

One would assume they are using JVC's chips. I would guess it has a "Rock" (or Emerald, etc...) integrated with it.

Whether it can "outperform" CRT's is awfully subjective, and I'm in enough trouble here already...

- Marc

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Geez, I wouldn't have expected this forum to come down with the phil effect (or affect as the case may be).

That having been said, If the criteria is overall brightness, then maybe. But if the point is contrast ratio or black level (which is what we crt owners mean by a "better picture"), or color saturation...well I don't get it.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:
Patrick -

What do you call Phil's comment about besting stacked G90's?
Well, I guess it depends in what way he was saying it would beat them. Convergence, yup - easily. Brightness, yup, easily. Black level - don't know - I haven't seen his projector yet. Color? DILA's with their Xenon bulbs are pretty darn good already... Contrast? don't know either - calibrated DILA's can be quite good.

Quote:
These guys have a real credibility problem, and I'm not the only one to see it.
I disagree... Phil tends to come off as a bit of a used-car salesman sometimes. I guess he gets a bit over-excited about his products (who wouldn't?) and tends to make a few too many 'absolute' statements. "The absolute best processor you can buy for $xxx", etc. Whatever... it rubs some people the wrong way. I take it with a grain of salt, lean what I can, see the products if I can, read what others have seen and think, and make my decision from there.

Whatever people may say about Phil, he's always stood behind and backed his products (whether B-Stock projectors [where I first learned about him) with excellent support.

I've talked to him several times on weekends, for long periods of times, and he's always been patient, helpful, and understanding. I can easily say the same about the other TAW-affiliated folks. I don't know where you come off questioning their credibility.

Quote:
My comment wasn't a troll (any more than the original poster); I'd tell ANYONE here to take TAW's pronouncements with a grain of salt.

And finally, I wish you TAW bullies would understand that I went to the TAW board INTENDING TO BUY THE DAMN THING. It's the attitude of these guys that has kept me away.
You say your comment wasn't a troll, then proceed to call anybody that defends TAW/Phil as TAW Bullies(?). I take it that includes me? Look, if you don't want to buy the thing then don't. Don't buy it, go somewhere else, and buy something else. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by constantly bashing TAW? You don't like them, so nobody else should?

If their attitude bothers you, fine, bummer, but get over it. I absolutely despise the attitude of 99% of my local AV-specialty dealers, yet I'm not here posting public insults about their integrity, morality, or ethics. I just buy from somewhere else!

Quote:
(Krimi/Lars)...Just wondering if they really could come up with a new dila that would outperform a CRT.
I have no idea Lars. We'll just have to wait and see what they come out with at CEDIA. To say anything otherwise without anybody having seen the upcoming projector is simply guessing. If people want to say they are skeptical, then great, yeah, I'm a little curious myself. When it turns into another way for somebody to make personal attacks, then no.

(soap box time)

The permissive attitude around here for "Phil bashing" is unacceptable IMO, and is really turning me off to this forum. I'd feel the same way no matter who people were bashing. I really wish the administrators would make a stand, but I'm not sure if it will ever happen.

Heck, even for standing up for TAW, I'm apparently now a 'TAW bully.' This is ridiculous. Next thing I now, I'll be called a communist sympathizer... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Quote:
Do any of you have any idea, as to what kind of improvement (over the dila's that are here already), they could have made?
They haven't said anything publicly yet, other than it would be pretty major. There's no denying the current DILA's could stand for some major improvements in making them more HT friendly. Heat / Noise / Black level. I guess TAW could address all of those if they had the right talent on hand. Considering how well they did with the Rock in such a short period of time (they really did do a phenomenal job on it), I'll admit to being quite curious to see what they do with the DILA's.

------------------

The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
STILL, STACKING IS STUPID, EXCEPT to a projector nerd without a life. Me included?

So the dila is better in that regard. It is not a stupid thing, for a lay person to buy one.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I must have missed it, because I haven't seen any "Phil Bashing" yet. Maybe I am in the wrong places.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.