AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G1000 mildly tweaked and awaiting Dilard calibration, and a Toshiba 5109 and a Crystal Image scaler. With the caveat that I can't yet scale full SXGA 3 resolution with the C.I., due to a problem with projector that Mark tells me Dilard will be able to correct, I find myself much prefering direct component in from the DVD player, than Y/C through the scaler. The colors are more vivid, the picture seems sharper, and I just don't see anything about the internal scaling being done that bothers me. I'm very happy with the 7 1/2 ft. wide image.

But, this is 18 month old 480P technology. Now I am beginning to become aware of the newer technology, lower price players, and things being said about Sage/Faroudja processing in the new players.

For D-ILA owners, is the picture quality now being outputted with the new crop of players marginally better, or much better? What does the Sage/Faroudja technology due to improve on my 5109? Is this a must to have in buying a new player?

Thanks much for any input.

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ron,

Have you tried using the interlaced component outputs of the 5109 into the CI? This will definitely be better than the Y/C output. You may or may not prefer this to the direct progressive connection. I have a 5109, Quadscan, and G11. I noticed artifacts using the direct progressive connection that went away with the scaler. If it looks good to you, then that's all that matters though.

- Chris

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, yes actually that's what I do. It's been awhile and I was remembering instead the Y/C inputted from the cable box, where there is a big improvement over Y/C straight into the projector when I watch sports. I'll probably be using the scaler again with DVD to check out the projector's performance once I calibrate it and take care of the SXGA 3 problem.

I'm just basically curious with this posting how much better the images outputted are with the new progressive players, and in what areas the Sage/Faroudja technology contributes.

------------------

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.