AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my JVC 52" D-ILA delivered. I am quite surprised that the SD is very watchable and better than I expected. It is a good thing, since I have to wait 2 weeks before the HD STB is delivered. :( DVDs do look nice; but I never realized how much better that HD is. After looking at so many sets with an HD feed in the B&W stores, it is quite frustrating not being able to see what my new baby can really do.

I have a feeling that I will be getting quite frustrated trying to see if the PQ is perfect with the SD and find lots of flaws. Hopefully, they go away with the new STB. Will SD shows look better ging through the HD STB if the channel broadcasts in HD?

· Registered
3,740 Posts
Not sure how everyone's cable works, but I have to switch to a different input to watch HD on my 4:3 screen. That makes the picture smaller and when I do go to non HD channels, they are much cleaner and sound is better. So to me anyways, yes, SD should look better when watching over the HD input.

· Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MVPinBoynton
...Will SD shows look better ging through the HD STB if the channel broadcasts in HD?
Generally, yes, I find that the quality is better on the digital channel, even if it is only upconverting SD to HD resolution for broadcast.

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. That sounds promising. I have noticed something strange, which is probably related to my current cable box, when I change channels on the box and the banner at the bottom of the screen comes up to show you the show info, the lettering in the middle of the screen is very rough. Not a good way to describe it, but it isn't as clear as the other lettering in the banner info. Since it isn't doing it on the actual program, it isn't a big deal, but I assume it will go away when I get my HD box. I was able to get my HD box installation moved up from 10-27 to 10-19. Someone cancelled their appointment and Adelphia was able to move me into their slot. Thank you Adelphia. Calling every day helps.

PackFan,

My set came from Sears and it was only delayed 4 days from the original shipping date.

· Registered
579 Posts
Will SD shows look better ging through the HD STB if the channel broadcasts in HD? [/b][/quote]

Yes, SD program on HD channels has grey or black bars on both sides depends on the station and they look better than the same program in SD channels. It is due to less loss of data bits from compression decompression conversions.

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got a good signal to use on my 52" D-ILA. WOW!! I am impressed. It is just gorgeous. Even my wife was stunned at how beautiful the PQ looks. I think I picked the right set for me.

· Registered
71 Posts
I have been looking at HDTVs for a month and had narrowed it down to the JVC HDILA and the Tosh and Panny DLPs. At one point or another I had each one of those TVs in the lead but my last couple of trips to the stores the DILA still looks the best to me. All the TVs on my final list I would have been more than happy with in my living room, but the look of the DILA and the fact that I can use its speakers as a center channel won me over.

I talked with the manager at the last place I looked and they were sold out. He said they are the most popular set they have. He was waiting on the version with the tuner to use as his set at home. He called to get an update on their next shipment and he said that they had shut down their production to fix some problems and it would be 2 weeks before they got any more in. He gave me a price close to the power buy so I may go ahead an get one of these when they come in. Hopefully the problems discussed on here will have been fixed.

Anyone else hear about this factory stoppage? Know what they changed?

· Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hefe
Generally, yes, I find that the quality is better on the digital channel, even if it is only upconverting SD to HD resolution for broadcast.
Unless it's Channel 19 (WHOI - ABC) from Peoria. They stretch all 4:3 material, and I don't know why. Too bad it's the only HD local network affiliate that Insight carries here in Bloomington. (WEEK - NBC is broadcasting HD... why the heck doesn't Insight carry that yet?!?)

Tim

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that I have a HD box, there is no doubt that the SD is much better coming through it.

· Registered
24 Posts
I just got my new DISH 811 hooked up to my 52Z585... WOW!!! Goodby gray bars on 4X3, and HD is simply eye popping. I have reached a new state of technoweenie nirvana!!

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nirvana is a good description of some of the channels. It is hard to take your eyes off the beautiful picture sometimes. I have also been very pleased at the outstanding PQ from the recorded shows on the SA8000HD DVR. This D-ILA produces some awesome eye candy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.