AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He should have been named Mandrake instead of Mark!

The color! The depth! The black! I never imagined a picture made with a lamp driven projector could ever look like this.

I wish I could take back every negative thing I said about D-ILA. Thank God I didn't sell it!

p.s. forgive me for invoking your name twice, Lord. But since you created the color Mark has now let me see I think you will approve.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Looks like you got your winning prize. Was your D-ILA calibrated before this?

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Bob,

Please no ranting while Mark is out of town on his honeymoon. Kevin, may like some kudos though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Robert,

Had you used dilard at all up to this point, or did you just run the 2.2 with sensor? Just curious - I'm looking for a viewpoint that came from someone who had previously tweaked their dila with dilard and has now seen the 'light' with the new version in order to see what kind of difference there was.

I can't wait to get mine. Any idea on shipping times, Mark or Kevin?

Thanks, Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
24 Posts
Robert,

Congratulations!

Please tell us more! How is the calibration setup? How long did it take? I believe that before and after contrast ratios are given. Is this correct?

Finally, any further observations on the qualitative differences in picture quality before and after would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
842 Posts
Mark did it for him before he left. The contrast was measured at roughly 165:1 before the calibration and ended up at 650:1. The process takes around 45 minutes.

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have the upgrade yet. Mark had not seen what his calibration would do with a G1000. So, as Tom mentioned, he took mine and applied the Dilard calibration Wizards to it.

I had the earlier Dilard and ran the Black Level Wizard on my projector without much success (as most have experienced). But the new calibration tools have resulted in a picture that is just stunning. The color is spot on. Black now appears to me to be about what projected film looks like (which is all I ever wanted with a digital projector and have not seen it until now).

And I'm not noticing enough loss of brightness to matter.

I never was impressed with the picture provided by either of my G1000's and have said as much. I now realize that what others tried to tell me was absolutely the case. Contrast ratio and was so poor with the out of the box G1000's that I was not seeing what others were reporting.

Thanks to Mark and Kevin and all the other folks who worked to perfect these tools my eyes have now been opened.

BW

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark hinted in a post to the forum before he left that he's hopeful that he might be able to provide a calibration package for the LT150. I would like to hang on to my LT150 to see how that develops. Unless I get hungry and need to sell it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Heres one way way to convey the before and after calibration difference for those who have Dish Network HDTV.

While the Dish HD promo loop is beautiful source material for a demo there is one sequence which is torturous for any digital projector (and even CRT). Those are the scenes when she is pitching the Dish 6000 and showing it to you. That whole sequence is dark and drab and washed out looking. Whenever I have visitors and demo my digital projectors with that promo loop I shudder when those scenes come on. I'm embarrased for people to have to see it.

But not any more. Now the dark areas are rich with crisp detail (and color) and that whole thing is pleasing to look at. Never would have believed it possible.

BW

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
457 Posts
As this get's around, it would be nice to have screen pics of before and after. Not that I need convincing, it's just kinda hard to explain to my "financial advisor".

------------------

DVI/HDCP makes your HDTV not ready

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tryg,

I sent the projector to Mark and he performed the calibration so afraid I can't answer that. I imagine Tom will be able to though.

Bob

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Stop it Bob. Yer makin' me want to track down a DILA pj, to see what I can do with it. And I can ill afford such. (I've been wanting to do so, but unable to put the scratch together)

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Bob, its great to hear you've "seen the light". I often wondered if Dilard was something I could use. I had my 9015 calibrated by Richard Martin a few years ago. Is Dilard equivalent to what Richard Martin did, or is there additional tweaking to be had with Dilard to justify it's purchase? What do you or anybody think of this?

Jaime

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Others will be much better qualified to answer that than me.

I can only offer this observation. Another forum member here in town has a Richard Martin calibrated Proxima SX1 (which I understand is pretty much the same thing as a G1000/G10). I got to see it perform briefly several months ago. Watched HDTV and Radeon DVD. The picture with his projector offered no improvement over what I'm seeing now.

Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Bob

Do you use a Greyhawk or similar with your G1000?

Do you know if a new calibration is necessary when you change the bulp?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have Dilard and love it, for the projector automation capabilities it has, the ability to mess with the memories to set different scaling for different resolutions, and the built in wizards.

But, since I already had my projector professionally calibrated, I haven't been too interested in doing it with Dilard. So, I haven't been reading these threads in great detail, so pardon if this has already been asked, but can somebody explain why you'd want to calibrate the DIY way with Dilard, instead of having a professional do it? Don't get me wrong - I think doing it with Dilard would be way cool, and a lot of fun. It sounds like it does a great job, too. But, doesn't the extra software and colorimeter needed cost at least as much as having it done professionally? And, Dilard doesn't do the quarter-wave panel adjustment, which must be done by hand, and which I thought was an important part of the calibration. So, why do it with Dilard? Is it because:

1) It's fun?

2) You can re-do it if your projector goes out of calibration? (Does this happen?)

3) It's cheaper? (Is it? I didn't think so.)

4) ??

- Dave

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Bob,

Okay, I have got to come see your setup now. It's only fair, after all I showed you mine so now you have to show me yours http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

( and even though I had my Proxima RM calibrated, DILARD has still dramatically improved it's proformance...)

------------------

Chris White

MEDIA CONCEPTS

[This message has been edited by TSHA222 (edited 09-21-2001).]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.