AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will probably be getting a JVC 150cl, which I saw last week at demo, if you can call it that given the set-up and inexperience of the JVC rep. In any event, even though the projector is, I am sure, much quieter than previous models, in my set-up it will be almost directly overhead on 92" ceiling (so that's about 3.5 feet away). When I came within 3.5 feet of the 150cl, the fan noise would be a little bothersome to me during quiet passages. Not to mention the issue of the projector potentially heating up my seating area quite a bit.

I need a hushbox, but I am in no way handy and will need to have my contractor (for the remodel) or the home theater installers build one. And yet, since the home theater people do not carry JVC, and I do not believe have ever dealt with any JVC D-ILA's, how can I let them know exactly what will be required...dimensions, fan/exhaust system. etc? I have followed the threads on the impressive hushboxes posted on this forum, but these are undergoing continued tinkering by some talented tinkerers! I noticed that the JVC 150cl manual stated minimum dimensions for an enclosure (something like 20 cm on the non-exhaust side, 30 cm below the ceiling mounted unit, 60 cm on the exhaust side, and the recommendation that this be air conditioned to boot), and that's a pretty large hushbox for my family room with low ceilings. I need to give my architect something concrete. Another option, I suppose, is a pre-built one like the whisperflow, then maybe cover it with wood panels to make it look more built-in. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any additional pre-built hushbox sources? Any published specs for builders? Any help would be great.

Robert

·
Registered
274 Posts
If ceiling height is a problem, you could stagger the ceiling joists and use the Draper microprojector lift to run the Dila up and down. Then you could trim out the underside of the mount and build a hush box around the lift.

I found the problem with the Dila is that it is a large unit and cumbersome in low ceiling applications Especially since there is no keystone adjustment.

I also sit directly underneath my G11 and the noise is somewhat bothersome without the hushbox. Do a search on the forum and you will find numerous hushbox threads; many with drawings.

Pat

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dr pinot
I noticed that the JVC 150cl manual stated minimum dimensions for an enclosure (something like 20 cm on the non-exhaust side, 30 cm below the ceiling mounted unit, 60 cm on the exhaust side, and the recommendation that this be air conditioned to boot), and that's a pretty large hushbox for my family room with low ceilings.
Robert,

I'm not sure why JVC is specifying clearances - as long as the hushbox has good forced ventilation - the clearances

don't buy you much. I guess JVC was concerned someone would build a hushbox that was directly in contact with the 150,

and thereby choke off airflow - and have undue heating of the box by the exhaust.

If you look at some of the hushboxes by Forum members - my favorite being Mark J. Foster's:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=124304

ftp://ftp.talix.com/pub/hushbox/My_Hushbox.jpg

ftp://ftp.talix.com/pub/hushbox/Hushbox_Open_Bottom.jpg

ftp://ftp.talix.com/pub/hushbox/Hush...de_Closeup.jpg

you can see that hushboxes are not overly large.

If you don't feel handy at woodworking - or don't want to bother with a DIY project - just show the pictures of Mark's

hushbox to a woodworker or custom cabinet maker - and have them come up with something.

Although there are some pretty clever and sophisticated designs, hushbox design really isn't rocket science.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Humey
You can always buy a hushbox from Whisperflow
Are you sure that the G150CL would fit a Whisperflow made for a G11/G15/G20? I'm sure Dave Beatty would be able to make one, but he might have to modify his design. I don't have the dimensions of the 150CL, but it does look different from the other G-series models.

- Chris

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Morbius
. . . hushbox design really isn't rocket science.
I'm sitting here scratching my head. What does it mean when a nuclear physicist says that something "isn't rocket science?" :)

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
You are probably right that the current husbox wont fit, but I am also sure that Dave will design a new box for the 150. Its a matter of giving him a call

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Chris,

You could probably find the answer to your question by polling the other hundred or so unadvertised scientists who frequent the forum. There might even be a few "rocket scientists." Art

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.