AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel reborn is not a new movie, but my new state of mind. I bought from Frank a G11, while I went to his shop (in the Netherlands, 45 minutes flying from Paris)to ask for a Sony VPL VW10HT because I fell for the 16:9 panels.

Well I was wrong. Not in a very subtle way Frank pointed out to me that the D-ILA was a incomparable better choice (worth saving for). I felt a little insinuated. There evaporated all my weeks of searching the internet and magazines for info and mostly my (almost) final decision to buy the 10HT. So I bought the (demo) model with 110 hrs on the lamp and took it home to project it in an unready room ( too much ambient) on a thin bedsheet. Almost now for a month. I bought Dilard (never regret it, it is actually a must if you cannot let yr DILA be calibrated by a trustworthy person) Every week my picture improved. Getting rid of the ambient light and tweeking with Dilard, the Nvidia drivers and Power DVD 2.5. To a point I was reasonable content.18 feet distance from sheet screen 120" diagonal 4:3. However very dark movies, even Robin Hood with Kevin Costner was not viewable. And then... I got the reel screen a mat wit gain 1.0 projecta 140" diagonal 4:3.

I was stunned. Just that night before I was watching "Proof of Life" (Russel Crowe) at the City theatre a very good movie if you like action with a deeper psychological base than normal. The movie theatre quality of the picture was noticeably less than the D-Ila an evening later BUT with one movie (so far) only. Not Robin Hood, Little Stuart or End of Days, but "The s6th day" from Schwarzenegger. The sharpness and details I could see on the 140" diagonal made a complete new experience for me I never had before. Seeing a picture so clear and sharp and big as I never experienced in the movietheatre.

I did not know what the D-ILA is capable of and has not reach its limits yet.

The downside?

Garbage in ,garbage out. Normal PAL TV make you feel guilty spending precious DILA lamphours on it. Also dTV washes the colours and destroy the sharpness with normal TV stations.

The unit is callibrated in a unfinished way. Dilard is not finished yet. But the tracking and phase (wizard) calibration is a FIRST must.

I am so simple to become happier because o a D-ILA
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Kyrill

[This message has been edited by kyrill (edited 05-13-2001).]

· Registered
6,227 Posts
Glad its working out for you man....

Dont forget when you get 'finished' (thats a never http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) I will be there with bells on (whats your favorite poison http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif )...

Please tell me you are not still using PowerDVD 2.5 now though... A SW DVD Player upgrade is sooo cheap that its a must and with the ATI player (+ Radion card), PowerDVD 3 (especially the newest build) and WinDVD 2.6.4 you are talking another level compared to the earlier PowerDVD...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.