AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LCOS was developed by JVC. Does JVC own exclusive rights to LCOS (yes, I know they call it D-ILA). Are companies such as Hitachi and Christie paying licensing fees to JVC? If not, why not? Is JVC supplying hardware to any of the other LCOS manufacturers? Does JVC want to license their technology to numerous other companies like TI?

Anyone who is knowledgeable about the licensing and patent issues here, please elaborate.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
QQQ, good question. Also, if JVC is willing to license their LCOS technology, I wonder how much it would cost. Thence, I would like to know how many of you would like to create a consortium to make some AVS LCOS projectors, hehe. :D Maybe we could get the cost down to the Poor Man's projector.

·
Registered
819 Posts
QQQ,

I've been trying to understand the LCoS market myself. I'm no expert on the issue, but here's what I've found. More knowledgeable people feel free to correct me.

The LCoS company and patent portfolio owning group is large: at least 40 companies (and increasing) + several individuals.

A lot of companies claim to have developed the first LCoS implementation, but I don't think JVC is one of them (Philips is).

Philips has a lot of patents on LCoS, but even they do not manufacture their own. They are manufactured by Hana, just as chips by Colorado MicroDisplay.

JVC has it's own brand D-ILA along with associated patents that it uses for it's front projectors. JVC uses LCoS panels from DisplayTech for digicam viewfinder. I think DisplayTech also manufactures RPTV panels for Samsung.

I'm not even sure JVC were the first to commercially introduce a projector based on the technology, but they were probably the first one to market it really well and make a real business out of it.

Infocus has invested in another LCoS developer Colorado Micro Display. Hitachi and Kodak have also collaborated with or invested in CMD.

There are many other companies including RAF, eLCos, etc that are working on LCoS implementations.

Who has the patents for which specific type of LCoS implementation (there are probably over a dozen) and in which countries? Well, I'm not a patent lawyer and I've yet to see a good article that explains the whole field along with all players and patent portfolios.

I think the whole field will be very healthy in the future, if manufacturing keeps on improving and no other technology (OLED, MEMS) drives LCoS out of the market.

So, I don't think it's a matter of JVC granting licenses, but licensees trying to decide who to license them from.

cheers,

Halcy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.