Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a Radeon 64MB DDR in the HTPC.

I can get 1360x768 with PowerStrip without a problem, but can't select 'True Color' (32 bit color) at the same time.

If I select 'True Color', the computer insists on a 1280x1024 resolution. I can't have both the resolution and true color.

Is anyone able to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yep, I'm successfully doing 1360x768 at 32-bit on my Radeon 32MB DDR.

You might want to try fiddling with your monitor definition, since that's caused strange problems for me in the past (I now use the profile for a Viewsonic G790 with no problems).

I'll also check what driver version I'm using when I get home tonight, in case it's a driver issue.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Chris!

As far as drivers, I tried the 7189 and 7199 drivers, but they didn't do the trick and I heard that the 7093 (older version) might fix me right up, but no joy.

I'd love to know which drivers you are using.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Mark,

If memory serves - driver 7093 is a "good" driver to have.

Too bad driver capability isn't a monotonically increasing function of version number.

Greg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Mark,

You guys are talking about the ATI video drivers.

Chris is referring to the monitor.inf files.

I had similar problems over the years with Powerstrip, and other resolution/color depth settings as sometimes the monitor file restricts the video modes available.

I use 1360 X 1024 in 32 bit color with the Radeon card and it works fine for me.(Sony W900 .inf)

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg,

I hear you loud-and-clear. My first assumption was to get the "latest and greatest" drivers as well. I didn't even consider doing a search to find out if this was the right thing to do!

I only started trouble-shooting when the original plan didn't quite work out :-(.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mark,

I am doing this with a Radeon AIW. Fairly old version of PS3, and have had no problems with the last several "known" custom t/r friendly video drivers. The monitor file I am using is a KDS Avitron 195TF - 1360X1024 and 768 work fine, and have since Radeon was installed, on a BX chipset MB and the current Via AMD setup.

- Good luck.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Mark,

Are you using ME?

If you can find them, try the 7143s. I've been using them for many months without a glitch.

You don't need the Sony drivers, IMO. I use the standard Win 1600 x 1200 driver and it works fine.

This sounds like a Pstrip conflict. I've had my share of workarounds with my VE, for sure.

If you get to a point to where nothing seems to work, try this:

Wipe out all the previous Pstrip custom resolutions first. Then when you make your new 1360 x 768 res, try a 60Hz refresh instead of 72 with the True Color. Click ok, see if it sticks, then if it does you should be able to go back and click up to 72Hz(click at a time, I'm afraid).

Maybe a long shot, but............?

Chris

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
That's discouraging if a software pro like you is having trouble, Mark.

On a related note, I was thinking of replacing my GeForce card with a Radeon VE with dual output. From what I've read, I think it will allow me to run the VGA out to my D-ILA and the DVI to an LCD flat-panel monitor (or even my existing CRT monitor with an (included?) DVI-HD15 adapter). This would eliminate the manual VGA switchbox I now use and get me a cleaner signal to both projector and monitor.

Anybody doing this with their D-ILA and a monitor ? CCLAY ? Do the resolution and color-depth problems with PStrip haunt you as you switch which monitor is primary and which is secondary ?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Kirk,

The VE is a perfect solution for what you want.

The color depth and resolutions do not haunt me. :)

Color depth goes with both displays.

Resolutions? Resolution will also go to which ever monitor you happen to be on at the time.

Example:

While in 1360 x 1024 resolution, my primary VGA(G11) is obviously in fine shape. But if I switch to my secondary VGA monitor while still in that resolution, the monitor will VD(virtual desktop), as it(my secondary monitor) only supports up to 1280 x 1024. But rarely do I view the secondary monitor in anything but 800 x 600, as it's easily switchable by a hotkey set up on the desktop or even a Pronto icon(in my setup).

Powerstrip has been rock solid with a few exceptions as I mentioned above. Once you know the tricks......as with anything else, right?

Bottom line, I wouldn't have a DILA without a dual head card.

Unless you're wealthy to not care about bulb prices, that is. :D

Chris

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Mark,

I would suggest going back and try the 7199 drivers but change your monitor inf file so that custom T&Rs will stick. I would guess that the 7199 drivers did not work for you originally since you did not have a compatible monitor driver (inf) file. If you have Win9x or WinMe it will work. I've been in the same situation where after adding the custom T&Rs in PS, rebooting and then not seeing the Hi Color or custom resolutions UNTIL I changed the monitor inf file. The 7093s and the 7143 (for the VE) works great BUT, they will not give you the extra Overlay tab where you can set global gamma control while playing a dvd. I am using a DILA Monitor inf file that someone on this forum sent me but others are using SuperVGA or Sony GDM900 files so that the resolutions stick.

dreamer,

The VE will certainly work they way you want. I have a DILA on the VGA connector and a flat panel connected to the DVI (with adapter).

Chris,

When you get some time, try the 7199 drivers. It does work with the VE for custom T&Rs. I know you use the ATI player but when you want to play a DTS disc in WinDVD, the global gamma control is a nice addition.

Rick

·
Registered
925 Posts
dreamer - i have an 8500, and as best i can tell, it won't do dual-head with the DVI. the DVI has to be connected at boot time and the unit won't feed ay other output. i could be wrong, but that's been my experience the last few days futzing around with the new 8500.

doody.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well well.

Will you look at this? A conversation about something other than an LT150 or a Panamorph! :D

Rick,

Did I hear you right that the 7199 drivers do custom T&R? I know...I know...the answer is "try it", but I've finally gotten everything working and I didn't want to change it just to experiment again...

Plus, the projector itself is doing the gamma (Dilard 2.2), so I don't need it in the overlay. It does look excellent with the Radeon. I should have done that sooner.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mark,

LCOS Evangelist, finally a fitting title. You are right, you should have switched to the Radeon a 'long' time ago - quite an improvement.

Brian

·
Registered
806 Posts
Doody,

I have an 8500 as well. How do you enable the DVI port? I did a clean install on a freshly formatted disk with only my D-ILA plugged into the VGA dongle on the DVI port. It did the install of Win98 SE but once it went past the splash screen, the DVI went dark and the VGA was active instead.

Any ideas?

Phil

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for confirming that the VE should be able to do what I want. In the HTPC forum I hadn't come across any Radeon VE posts specific enough to satisfy me.

Doody,

Thanks for the warning about the 8500. My current card is an ASUS V6600 Deluxe -- a $250 card 18 months ago that I now realize was a waste for me. My gaming requirments are pretty limited. I think this time I'll definitely go cheap with the Radeon VE and leave wrestling the bleeding edge of gaming cards to others.

Mark,

Yeah, but we can only get away with these HTPC posts in this forum for a little while before somebody inevitably reminds us that they are "supposed" to be in the HTPC forum. Still, there are some issues only we DILAers have with our HTPCs and it's nice to see people in our little sub-niche so ready to help out. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ehong
I would like to add that even though both the Radeon VE (dual display chip) and the regular Radeon use the same 10 bit DACs, the Radeon VE has less bits of precision internally when processing video data.

ed
...as recently taken from this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=32435

To all Radeon VE / DILA users: It would seem that those with Radeon VE's would be better off not making any color adjustments in the Radeon, but rather to make them with Dilard, for fear of loss of color space resolution.

Mark, would you agree? Or is Dilard making all gamma, gain, etc., adjustments as 8-bit values anyway? I assume that all adjustments are made after the ADCs (for an RGB input), or are there higher resolution changes being done via digital control of the analog stages? (Obviously, I'm not very familiar with the architecture of the DILA).

Penny for your thoughts,

Tom

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Tom,

The Dilard Calibration Wizard makes all adjustments in the 10 bit look-up table, regardless of the resolution of the video card. In my testing with a couple of video cards, I found that the more accurately the video card could produce a given test image, the more accurate the final calibration would be.

For instance, when I asked for a 32.5% gray field, the Radeon 64MB DDR (10 bit card) was very good at producing exactly what was requested, whereas the GeForce2 card (8 bit card) came close, but the inaccuracy was slightly apparent in the final calibration.

I am keeping the Radeon card in my HTPC. There may be other GeForce cards (Gladiac, GeForce3, etc.) that perform better than the GeForce2 I was testing with, but in my comparison with these two cards, the Radeon was much better at producing the requested images. This is clearly apparent in video based material as well.

I have not done a comprehensive review of all video cards, of course, but find that the more accurate video cards can produce a more accurate calibration.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.