AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who know, if the machine has stuck pixels, are they noticeable while watching a movie or HD. There is someone selling a G15 with 3-4 stuck pixels for a great price. There are 2 blue stuck off pixels, one in the mid-upper left portion of the

screen and another in the upper right portion of the screen. He found them by doing a surface scan of a solid blue pattern from a couple of feet away. There is also one stuck off red pixel in the mid lower mid right portion of the screen. He believe that these are actually 2 pixels that are adjacent to one another.

So the question is, will this distract from viewing, or is the pixel issue overblown?

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Humey,

I don't have any pixel issues myself, but would think that stuck "off" would be a very minor deal. Remember that there are over 4 million individual pixel elements (counting R, G, B separately).

Stuck "on" is a different story, and although small, I would still find it distracting.

However, if you don't bite yourself, let me know through private e-mail where to find out more about it....I'm interested. I am looking for an economical second D-ILA.

· Registered
760 Posts
Hi Humey,

I have recently discovered a stuck-on red-magenta pixel to the left of center screen. It appeared without prior warning :) at around 150hrs of lamp use. Like Mark says, there are so many pixels in the Dila grid, and the picture is so dense, that once you watch a movie, you'll have to look for it to notice it. Especially during a movie that has no outside bright shots. On the other hand, I do notice it right away, and it becomes quite distracting, when I watch something like a Disney cartoon animation, like during the Pixar intro. It is very noticeable when the blue Pixar screen is up.

Luca

· Registered
287 Posts
Humey,

There is a great difference between stuck on vs. stuck off pixels.

I've got two stuck off blue pixels right together on my G10 clone. The only way I can see them is if I put up a blue screen and walk up to it. When an all white screen is projected, the area is slightly yellow, again at close range.

Stuck off pixels are a non-issue, imho. (Lcds & d-ilas, not dlps)

I've seen many stuck on pixels when I went through a bunch of Epson 710c 's. Even one is easily seen and very distracting. The best 710c I finally decided to keep for work had one stuck on blue pixel. Green and red pixels on the 710c appeared much brighter and disturbing.

Stuck on pixels are a deal killer, imho.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSC (edited 05-03-2001).]

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Jeff wrote:
Stuck off pixels are non-issue...

Stuck on pixels are a deal killer
Are you saying that there is a bit of a difference between stuck ON and stuck OFF ? <big grin>

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Well I have a stuck on red pixel. Just one on my DILA but it is very close to the center. It does distract me. I may just get it serviced under warranty, but it is a pain to deal with due to shipping and such. When my Panamorph arrives it might help a lot because the Pixel will then be about 30% smaller than it already is. Clusters of bad pixels are even worse. But this is my opinion only.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

· Registered
13 Posts
Cameron,

You may already know this, but the SE JVC Service Center is about

an hour or so away from you (non-rush hour) up in Duluth. My G11 is

currently there getting serviced - I much preferred to drop it

off rather than risk shipping it. And I assume they service it

on-site since they told me they didn't need the box.

They say it's about a 2-3 week turnaround for professional products

like the D-ILAs. We'll see - mine's been in for about 2.5 weeks now.

Take care,

Robin

· Registered
4,967 Posts
So if you have pixels stuck on or off, you can take it to a JVC service Center to fix it/them??

Does this cost anything?? What is their spec for bad pixels where they decide it is a problem that may be handled under warranty, and when do they say 'tough luck'..??

-- Cain

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Robin,

I didn't know that. Well that will make my servicing much easier.

Thx,

Cameron

------------------

· Registered
13 Posts
Cain,

The thread at http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/003379.html discusses the acceptable versus non-acceptable criteria for the Dukane

projectors and surmises that JVC's policy might be similiar. But,

as far as I know this is just speculation.

I'd call JVC to see what their policy is on this before committing

to a purchase. Ironically, it might be better deal to purchase a unit with

more dead pixels (esp all of the same color) and getting it fixed as

opposed to living with a unit with only one or two dead pixels, depending

on JVC's policy.

JVC's service website is at http://www.jvcservice.com and lists contact

information, etc. The e-mail portion of the site appears to be broken

however (at least it was 3 weeks ago).

My unit was an MVS showroom unit that shaded everything red along the

right edge, basically blending the image more red as it approached

within 1-2% of the edge. But no stuck pixels. If JVC fixes it properly,

I'll have gotten a fairly good deal.

Take care,

Robin

· Registered
4,351 Posts
One important thing to realize is that 'getting dead pixels fixed' by JVC does not imply you are guaranteed to get a dead-pixel-free projector back. All they will do is swap out the 3 imaging chips for another set of 3 that are within spec. These new ones could very well have dead pixels as well, and the overall result may be worse, not better.

For this reason, I wouldn't take my chances trying to get a DILA fixed unless it has stuck-on red or green pixels. Stuck-off or Stuck-on blue (which is pretty unnoticable as well) are probably not worth fixing, because you could end up with something worse!

Andy K.

· Registered
186 Posts
I had 2 stuck on Pixels one red and one Blue near the center, I drove my G11 projector to JVC service only live 1.5 hours away. They are replacing the optical unit. Its been at JVC for 3 weeks now as they are waiting on the part, Im still waiting for them to call me and I will let u guys know how it turns out soon I hope....

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Cardguy,

I hope it works out well for you. Please keep us posted.

thanks,

Cameron

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.