AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and I am considering purchasing a new projector. I have never actually seen first-hand a demonstration of a D-ILA projector. What is it's achilles heel? What is the down side to this type of projector other than noise or the heat output or having to replace the bulb? What does the image look like compared to a high quality CRT front projector? Does it not do well with certain types of images e.g. fast motion. How does it do with blacks? Does it have to be calibrated frequently? I know that it's very bright compared to a CRT projector. It's hard to put down that much money sight unseen.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Larry,

Welcome

That's a lot of questions, and they have all been answered hundreds of times.

Use the "search function" and choose this forum. You are bound to find out more than you ever wanted to know!

·
Registered
146 Posts
larry,

D-ILA is the best digital picture I've seen. I've compared it to a calibrated G90 and they're awful close. You've got the achilles heels mentioned (heat and bulb cost). On bright HDTV material, it's as good if not better than the best CRT's. On darker material, like opening chapters of Gladiator DVD, it's about 90% as good. Some shadow details are lost...but these are greatly reduced if you match the projector with the Stewart Grayhawk or similar screens. Both the G15 and G20 offer incredible pictures...but you must get them calibrated to improve contrast ratio. If you've got the money, and dont want to hassle with convergence...and you dont mind a little noise/heat...you cant beat teh picture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.