AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been lurking on this forum for several months now and have learned an immense amount during that time thanks to all of you. I'm getting very close to making my final projector selection and it looks like it will be a JVC G-15 unless something else hits in the next couple of weeks that knocks it's socks off. I have several questions regarding this projector.

I know that it's possible to "use" various portions of the panel to display a 16:9 image. Would it be possible to find a mounting height (ceiling) that would enable me to use the lower portion of the panel - then not have to move the projector when and if I might ever acquire a Panamorph?

I've found a pretty good price on a G-15 and the dealer also offers a HT calibration for an additional fee. Do these dealers really perform an adequate calibration or would it be better to order it "stock" and tune it up myself with DILARD which I plan on purchasing anyway?

Thanks for all your help past and future.

John

P.S. If there's anyone in the DFW area that has a well set up DILA that wouldn't mind showing it off, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
JJ:

The default positioning of the 16x9 within the 4x3 screen that the Panamorph uses, is at the top of the screen. Most people have (and want) the top of their screens at about ceiling height, so this works well for most people. It sounds like you want the bottom of the screen at the floor? This could prove a problem with the Panamorph, although it should be possible to tilt the projector and/or the lens to move the image lower, if you're willing to live with some keystone distortion. Don't know how much distortion you'd get, but you could probably calculate it if you're of a mathematical bent.

Regarding calibration - I think you may have it backwards. The goal of Dilard, as far as I understand it, is to give do-it-yourself types the ability to calibrate their projectors almost as well, or even as well, as an experienced professional calibrator. I don't think Mark is claiming that you could use Dilard to get a better calibration job than someone like Cliff or William could do, although I could be wrong about that... In any case, the calibration features in Dilard aren't there yet, so you would have to wait if you want to go that route. Of course, the person calibrating your projector would have to know what they were doing. The quality varies among the people who do the professional calibrations.

Good luck with your projector!

- Dave

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
John,

If you are going to calibrate it yourself - and you want

quality similar to what a professional would do - then you

have to budget for a spectrometer.

You have to have someway to measure the gray scale and

color temperature of the light emitted by the projector.

If you like tweaking the projector and plan to recalibrate

often, or you want to play with different calibrations -

then by all means - go the do it yourself route.

However, if you want to have the JVC accurately calibrated

and then you are just going to use it and not play with it -

then I would let a pro do the job. It's cheaper and the

experienced pro most likely will do a better job.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.