AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new home and have a question about wiring. I will have an HD Directv dvr in each room that I am asking about. Do I need to have 4 coax outlets in each of the rooms?

2 for Directv dvr

1 for TV antenna

1 for cable internet connection

Seems like home networking is changing so quickly I wanted to ask before any drywall was in place. Anything else?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Instead of coax cable for internet - why not run your cable modem into a router and run Cat 5 or 6 network cable to each area. Hard wired ethernet in a house is much more reliable than wireless.

You need phone line if you are going to order PPV D* movies on your remote and you need network access if you want to order VOD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
D* has hardware that lets you use one coax and split it at the DVR location into two.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
The newer D* DVRs and SWM only need 1 connection and do not need to be split before they enter the IRD.

Regardless, always run twice the number of cables that you think you will need AT MINIMUM while the walls are still open or better yet run a piece of pvc piping to the location so more wires can be easily snaked in.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15540148

The newer D* DVRs and SWM only need 1 connection and do not need to be split before they enter the IRD.

Regardless, always run twice the number of cables that you think you will need AT MINIMUM while the walls are still open or better yet run a piece of pvc piping to the location so more wires can be easily snaked in.

Great advice.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15540099

D* has hardware that lets you use one coax and split it at the DVR location into two.

Ken,

Is there a thread on this? I would really like to change my setup to do this. I was told I couldn't do this and I just got equipment in August.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15541811

Ken,

Is there a thread on this? I would really like to change my setup to do this. I was told I couldn't do this and I just got equipment in August.

Very interested in this as well.....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15541811

Ken,

I didn't find a dedicated SWM topic, but here's the basic idea:

The SWM8 will allow you to run single coax cables to 8 different locations from the 5 LNB dish, and with specific DirecTV HD receivers & DVR's, get dual tuner function.

Compatible with HR21 HD DVR Receivers, H21 HD Receiver, and H20 w/.2042 Firmware Update.

OTA antenna can also be used with the SWM8.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SWM-8

Beach can provide more info.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Directv Manuals are available from here:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/custom...ssetId=1100066

In the HR21 manual, note PDF page 17 (numbered page 6 in actual manual). Note that it states that the SWM is connected to Satellite In 1, not both 1 and 2 and is labelled SWM-2. You do not need to split the feed from the SWM, only connect it once.

DIRECTV Plus HD DVR Rear Panel

Your equipment may not look exactly like the model illustrated.

1) SATELLITE IN 1 (SWM-2) – Use to connect the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR to a second LNB onthe satellite dish antenna, giving you the ability to watch and record up to two programs at once. If your installation includes an SWM (Single Wire Module), connect the SWM output to this input. SWM is a technology that allows multiple tuners to work with a single satellite input. (SWM support may require a software upgrade. Ask your DIRECTV Installer for details.)

2) SATELLITE IN 2 – Use to connect the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR to the satellite dish antenna.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Beachcomer and Ken,

Thanks - so if I get a DIRECTV SL5-SWM LNB and a PI-21 power supply I can swap out my LNB on my AU9 dish and have a single line into my house, but I will need another coax out to the dish for power. This gives a a 8 way switch capablility that will allow me four seperate runs to receivers once I'm in the house. Right?

If so, do I need a mulitswitch in the house to go to the individual receivers or just a splitter that will handle the high frequency range coming in?

Since I only need one coax to my HR21, can I run 4 HR21 receivers off this set up by running a single coax into the SWM2 input on each receiver?

Not that I would do that, I just want to free up one of my coax lines to the HR21.

Or is the PI-21 Power Inserter going to take up that input and coax line on my HR21 anyway?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1) The LNB only has one output, the power supply would go inline with the single line coming into the house.

2) You can run up to 8 tuners (1 per regular receiver, 2 per DVR.) Only one line is needed per receiver.

3) You would just need the proper splitter, no multiswitch. These two would work fine depending on your needs, if your planning on 4 DVR's, use the SWS-4, if you plan to mix in some non DVR receivers go with the SWS-8.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SWS-8
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SWS-4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts