AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had D* installed prior to the release of MPEG4. I used a private contractor to do it, who also installed a Sharpshooter OTA HD antenna. I own an HDTivo from D* (the one they used prior to launching their own). My local HD signals are perfect ( I live in SF, CA). And I am very happy with the D* HD channels that I am getting currently (no voice synching prob's, etc).

Now D* wants me to upgrade. They have offered to swap out the equipment at no cost. I guess that will mean I will be going to MPEG4. However looking at all the posts, it seems quite scary with all the problems people are having with the local HD's and the quality of the new D* HD DVR's. I'm not sure how long I can wait until I wake up one day and there is no signal.

I'd love to hear what my options are at this point. Should I hold out for as long as possible or go for the swap if D* is willing to pay. Are there HD channels that I am not getting b/c I'm not on MPEG4? Is is that many more? Could I still use my OTA for locals, even though, MPEG4 delivers them?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
They will swap the dish. There are plans for an MPEG-4 Directivo but who knows when it will come out. It might not be until next year or maybe late this year. The dish is the slimline 5LNB or they could give you a 3LNB version if your market doesn't use 110/119 for Locals or if you have the latino package. The remaining MPEG-2 channels are on 110/119 FYI.

The HR-20 has a built in OTA tuner but that model has been long gone. The newer HR-21/22/23 require an AM-21 module for OTA. It's about $60 and it gives you 2 tuners. It plugs in via USB. Some people have gotten it for free if you ask them.

Check in a couple of days for CES. Maybe Tivo and Directv will show off their new Directivo. Might be the 2H of 09 at the earliest or later. The Tivo service will be in addition to the D* DVR.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmercier /forum/post/15474278

Are there HD channels that I am not getting b/c I'm not on MPEG4? Is is that many more? Could I still use my OTA for locals, even though, MPEG4 delivers them?

You are not getting most of the HD channels available to you over the satellite as they are almost all MPEG4. If you are happy with DirecTivo, you will probably be unhappy with HR2x. That was the case for me. I switched to Dish because their DVR is so much better. You might see if DirecTV would be willing to let you try out the HR2x before you commit to a new contract.

Ted

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:

I had D* installed prior to the release of MPEG4. I used a private contractor to do it, who also installed a Sharpshooter OTA HD antenna. I own an HDTivo from D* (the one they used prior to launching their own). My local HD signals are perfect ( I live in SF, CA). And I am very happy with the D* HD channels that I am getting currently (no voice synching prob's, etc).

Now D* wants me to upgrade. They have offered to swap out the equipment at no cost. I guess that will mean I will be going to MPEG4. However looking at all the posts, it seems quite scary with all the problems people are having with the local HD's and the quality of the new D* HD DVR's. I'm not sure how long I can wait until I wake up one day and there is no signal.

I'd love to hear what my options are at this point. Should I hold out for as long as possible or go for the swap if D* is willing to pay. Are there HD channels that I am not getting b/c I'm not on MPEG4? Is is that many more? Could I still use my OTA for locals, even though, MPEG4 delivers them?

I, for one had a D* Tivo and I'm very Happy with my 0ne HRV 20 and 2 HRV 21's.

Cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
Keith,

I had Tivo, and now have HR 20 & a 21. There is a period of adjustment, but I don't find them inferior to Tivo. I am looking at the SF tower right now, so off air is important, but less so almost every day. Multiple PBS seems to be the only real advantage.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:

Are there HD channels that I am not getting b/c I'm not on MPEG4? Is is that many more?

Dozens and dozens. DirecTV has 67 nationally available HD channels and up to 15 premium HD channels.

See this list of current DirecTV HD channels: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081

Quote:
Could I still use my OTA for locals, even though, MPEG4 delivers them?

Yes, and that would be preferred. As noted, if you get one of the new DirecTV HD DVR's, you'll need the AM-21, and also as noted many get it for free as part of a new DirecTV contract.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts