AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized something. DirecTV has done absolutely nothign to let me know that Sho-HD exists. They've done absolutley nothing to let me know that the 3rd satellite even exists, much less that there is a kit available to receive it. If it wasn't for me coming to this board, I would not know that it exists, and I would not know what it takes to get it. Just an observation.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
They've cut nonessential spending. They include HDTV in that category.

You'll note DTV has cancelled their plans to carry Discovery HD.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's not where they are making their money.

You don't see them advertising HD in general other than a couple of pages on their website. Simply not enough demand. As much as I would love to see them step up to the plate, I simply don't think it is likely to happen - not enough consumers. Although I do recognize the ironic twist in that if they don't push it, there likely won't be more consumers... etc.

Dish is the same way.

It does make me wonder though if D* has an official record of who has HD capability and who doesn't since officially no one is paying just for an HD product... HDNet is free... HBOHD is free with the HBO package... SHOHD is free with the SHO package... am I right?

Anyways. Thank goodness for the forum and other places where HD people congregate.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Not only do they not promote it, but they actually make it hard to find. Look at the DirecTV channel listing they put in their mailers, 509, 543, and 199 are not listed.

But, that's basically the status quo.. Do any of the broadcast networks advertise, or even acknowledge their HD programming? Almost everyone I have shown my HDTV to were surprised that HDTV programming was even available. And, these are techie types, working in Silicon Valley.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I guess I wasn't necessarily looking for a targetted advertisement so much as some sort of recognition. Like when they have their "New Channels Available" channels up there. A mention of it would be nice. I am pretty darn certain that there are thousands of HDTV viewers who don't even know Sho-HD is there. Just a line-item. Something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.