AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've had bad luck with a D-Link router and wonderful luck with the Linksys router. They've been great about updating the firmware and adding new capabilities. I've installed a dozen or more of these and find them to be pretty painless. I'd spend the extra for the Linksys. It's frequently on sale.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I love my linksys gear. I'm currently running an 802.11b with 4 nodes entirely on Linksys: wireless router/access point for the cable modem, evergbody else on PC cards and USB adaptors.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ELMitz
"We would rather design systems that focused on quality and simplicity rather than on mediocrity and complexity." - Mark Levinson in Stereophile. May 2002; Vol. 25, No. 5.
"Personally, I think your products are underpriced." - Mark Levinson to Yves Faroudja (Overheard by me outside the Cello suite at the last Chicago C.E.S.) :)

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Topaz;

I had this Linksys router for almost a year and I loved it – (very stable!). However I upgraded in the meantime to a wireless Speedstream SS2623 (– more expensive, but also comes with a printer port). Unfortunately, I have no experience with the D-Link.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Linksys is definitely easy to set up. I was talking to a reseller and he said that a 12-year-old boy bought one and called him within half an hour to tell him that it was up and running.

I myself took a bit longer but it's been great!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the D-Link 704 router without the printer port and a separate 3 port DLink print server and they work fine. I also have a Linksys hub in my basement which gives me no trouble. I think both brands do a good job as part of a network.

Al

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Hi,

I'm running a Linksys WAP11 wireless access point with my little Cisco 806 router and have had great success. You can configure it via USB, or SNMP (simple network management protocol). Either way, it's pretty easy.

As for the "wired" router choice, I'd say either of them are pretty good. My friend has the D-Link and he's very happy with it.

Either company also has a wireless access point/router/internet gateway product which would be pretty neat as well.

Surfing the internet on a laptop in front of the TV (sans CAT-5) is pretty cool.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm using the LinkSys DSL router, and LinkSys WAP and LinkSys wireless card in my laptop. I've found them all to be very reliable, inexpensive, and maintenance free.

LinkSys also has a combo DSL/Cable router and WAP in one box, which might be a good choice if you were buying both. I already had the router before I added the WAP. But that would probably mean you could configure both the WAP and router via the web interface which would be more convenient.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I am currently using the D-link routers. I had the Linksys but there were bugs with port relaying - I run my own servers. I understand they have fixed this problem now (I fought with Linksys for months over this). My 704's run 24/7 and are hooked to both DSL and Cable and run flawlessly. One other note the Linksys had trouble with BellSouth DSL - it would disconnect randomly and sometimes not reconnect but no trouble with the Cable mode.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I have had excellent results from my BEFSR41 and numerous other Linksys wired and wireless network products.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The Linksys has worked great for me. Easy setup (next to none) but advanced features when you need them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have installed 3 Dlink 713P's. The wireless function on one of them died after a couple of weeks but their support was good and we got a replacement without problems.

Also have a Netgear 314 and a Draytek Vigor 2200. All of them are good products and does the job and I find it hard to recommend one over the other on other than added functionality (713P has a printer port, Vigor has VPN, 314 has 4 port switch while the others have 3).

Make sure to check the WEP encryption level if that's important to you. Some wireless access point products only do 40bit encryption while others do full 128bit.

-

Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
I haven't looked at these things in a while, but at the time I did, none of them had adequate firewall/security capability. I was already running WinGate and a SW based firewall on an old PC acting essentially as a router. After just a little testing it was clear that I didn't want to use any of the Linksys type units on my home LAN.

Instead I'm still using a PC running WinGate and a firewall app. Another good option (better?) would be to have the PC run Linux or Unix, serve as a NAT server, and run firewall SW. The WinGate solution cost me about $80 since I already had an old PC. The Unix/Linux solution would be about $400, mostly due to the cost of a good firewall for it.

Hopefully the security capabilities of these things have improved alot and what I rigged up is no longer necessary.

Aslan

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've had a Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL router on my home network for 4 years and it works great. I found when I switched from cable modem to DSL that I had to upgrade the Flash BIOS for it to make it work with DSL, but the newer code works flawlessly. For added firewall security, I use Zone Labs Zonealarm s/w on all my systems. If you buy ZoneAlarmPro it even integrates directly with the router.

I've never had any experience with the D-link.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.