AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the full press release in the first thread but i thought i would post this blurb for those just looking for the quick low down..

" D&M Holdings is purchasing inventory, receivables, intellectual property

and capital equipment. The company will also take over selected contractual

relationships and liabilities. D&M Holdings intends to keep all ReplayTV

customers and will design, manufacture and distribute a line of ReplayTV and

Rio products"

Full press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2003,+09:01+AM

*whew* sounds like good news to me :)

TOM

·
Registered
742 Posts
D&M have much deeper pockets in which to fight them - if they so choose. Lawsuits can come from anywhere to anyone at any time. Therefore you have to asume D&M took them on, and /or any new ones that might come.

Whether they adjust the product(s) to get the vultures off their backs is anyones guess at this early stage.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by franc11s
Therefore you have to asume D&M took them on,
Why?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Now the question is, is The Wiz near me still open and still have replays for 50% off or have the closed there doors for good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
Why?
I figure, at the very least, that a minute after the sale is officially completed any cause of action the media companies had against Sonic Blue, they'd have against D&M, assuming it didn't disable the allegedly offending features.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Oh, maybe they'd send a cease and desist letter first.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My bet is that if the lawsuits persist, D&M just removes the offending features (CA and Showsharing), thereby turning the ReplayTV unit into a mediocre PVR.

Hopefully if they DO remove show sharing, they only do it for the over-internet portion of it and not the in-home portion.

To me, commercial advance is nice, but buggy, I can live without it. Internet show sharing is a nice thing, but in practical use, I rarely use it. I'm sure others may use it frequently, but I can live without it. In-home show sharing between replays is, imo, the real gem. If they take that out, I have no reason whatsoever to keep them (my replaytv units). If I can't share between boxes and archive to my PC, it's of little/no value to me. There are other PVR's out that that would then have all the same features of the then-gutted replaytvs who do a much better job of it.

Hopefully they won't do any of these things. A lot remains to be seen.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't think they'll remove the Replay features, at least CA (which withstood a successful test, I believe, when it first came out in VCRs ten years ago). Remove CA and Internet show sharing, and I could go out and buy a Tivo that does the same thing (with some details being worse, and many being better). And, quite frankly, I would. Those two features are the competitive advantage that Replay has over Tivo, and I suspect D&M knows that.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bitbyte
...To me, commercial advance is nice, but buggy, I can live without it. Internet show sharing is a nice thing, but in practical use, I rarely use it...
If you say CA is buggy, you probably don't have a 4040. The CA on the 4040 is far far more accurate than the one on the 4500 and 5040 (I've got a 5040 as well and I can see a huge difference in teh CA accuracy). And it is very very easy to become heavily reliant on the 4040's CA. Can I live without it? Of course. I can live without TV too, but that's not the test.

As for internet sharing, I've used it only three times -- in each case for a show that was broadcast free over the air (so that it realy shouldn't raise concerns). And the fact that I was able to get those shows that I had missed meant a lot for marital relations -- a big big deal from a wife approval perspective. Here again, yes I can live without it, but what shame it would be to lose it for those occasional times when I really need it. And this is one of the features that is easy to explain to a potential PVR customer who doesn't know anything about tivo or replay: "You mean if I screw up and miss CBS's 60 Minutes on some Sunday night I can get someone to send it to me -- wow, cool.")

Also, if you take these features out, replay simply loses its competitive advantage over Tivo. Tivo's got the name recognition, and they will make the sale every time if all other things are equal. The way that I've gotten friends to go with replay instead of tivo is by explaining the features that replay has that tivo doesn't have; take those features away, and it's hard to see why someone goes with the underdog. (Not to mention absence of status bars ;) )

Keep in mind as well that D&M will undoubtedly be looking at this forum for free 'market research' -- so be careful what you wish for...)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bitbyte
My bet is that if the lawsuits persist, D&M just removes the offending features (CA and Showsharing), thereby turning the ReplayTV unit into a mediocre PVR.

I was thinking the same thing. Now it's time to speculate whether this is the end of the ReplayTV 5xxx series (with CA and showsharing intact) as we know it, and what the next series will have... or won't have.

I wonder if this will start a rush on all remaining 5xxx units. I know SonicBlue was having a fire sale on them right before they declared BK.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
If you say CA is buggy, you probably don't have a 4040. The CA on the 4040 is far far more accurate than the one on the 4500 and 5040 (I've got a 5040 as well and I can see a huge difference in teh CA accuracy). And it is very very easy to become heavily reliant on the 4040's CA. Can I live without it? Of course. I can live without TV too, but that's not the test.
I've noticed over the last few weeks that the CA on my 5040 seems to have become less accurate. For a while I would say it was on par with the CA in my 4040 except that it usually started playing about one second into the show instead of one or two seconds before the show started like on the 4040.

But the last few weeks the 5040's CA has become buggy enough to the point where I keep CA turned off until I hit a commercial break and then I turn it back on. I'm also seeing a lot more false positives than I used to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to rain on our parades but......

"D&M Holdings said it bought inventory, receivables, intellectual property and capital equipment, and that it would also take over certain contractual relationships and liabilities. It intends to keep all ReplayTV customers and will design and manufacture a line of ReplayTV and Rio products."

certain means NOT ALL which could mean anything as far as providing guide service (e.g. no more dialup, not honor lifetime purchase, etc). It could simply mean they are keeping the contract with the guide data provider OR it could have no impact on us at all. Rebates?

intends means they would like to keep customers. That could mean provide a discount to dialup owners (2xxx or 3xxx) to go to a 5xxx unit. It could mean they intend to charge a conversion fee to existing lifetime 45xx or 5xxx owners. It really could mean anything OR have no impact on us at all.

Nowhere does it indicate that things are staying "as is" or "status quo" with service. This statement leaves them the latitude to do whatever they want because they've left loopholes all over the place.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Nowhere does it indicate that things are staying "as is" or "status quo" with service. This statement leaves them the latitude to do whatever they want because they've left loopholes all over the place "

It also doesnt say that the sun is going to rise tomrrow, However i have faith that it will. If we continue to assume the worst with everything the only thing we are going to do is give ourselves ulcers. I for one look at this as a good sign that D & M considers Replay a viable product, and I hold out hope that service will continue. Since there is no way i can affect the outcome of this, i plan to look on the bright side, that at least now we KNOW who the buyer is, and based on there statements theres a better the 50% chance that service will continue uninterupted..

Let's try not to be negative about this right out of the gate shall we?

TOM

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.