AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called Direct today to change my address from the lake home to the house in the city (Minneapolis) and was told that the HD network channels were no longer available to me due to new legislation. Of course, I came to this forum immediately after the call to get the real scoop but am now even more confused after reading pages of posts on this topic. Can someone please help answer these questions:

1) Am I eligible for the east coast HD feed(s) in the Mpls market? (is it just LA and NY that receive the feeds?

2) The new MPEG-4 format will allow customers in the Top 12 markets (initially) to receive their locals in HD......Not Mpls at #14?

3) My $1,000 D* Tivo box will now obsolete after 1 year of use? And I thought I was nuts to spend that kind of money in the first place. Man, do I feel like a sucker.

I admit I have not looked at the forum in a while and these must be old topics to most of you, but I appreciate any help you can give.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
If you were getting distants at your lake address sorry to say but you shouldn't have moved ;)

But now that you're in the big city of Minneapolis shouldn't you be able to pull your locals in with an antenna anyways?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
We have great OTA availability here. The big four, plus PBS and WB (lower power for WB) in HD, UPN not HD but digital. And you are eligible for CBS and Fox from NY. PM me if you want more details, or check out hdtvtwincities.com.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dm145. OK, so that is the final word then...no HD Networks for me. What then, was all the talk about a letter that D* sent out where customers were notified they were losing one of the feeds (either East or West) based on their Time Zone (Central would receive the East Feed lose the West)?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMan2
Thanks dm145. OK, so that is the final word then...no HD Networks for me. What then, was all the talk about a letter that D* sent out where customers were notified they were losing one of the feeds (either East or West) based on their Time Zone (Central would receive the East Feed lose the West)?
Read my post. You are eligible for WCBS and Fox HD from NY.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks MNGuy...Was typing response to dm145 and did not see your post ... good news.

bgall One of the reasons I want the National feed instead of just OTA is so I can take my box up to the lake on weekends and still have HD Networks...2 of them anyway. Who knows, maybe the Vikings will be good enough to warrant a national game on Fox.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
to address questions #2 & #3:

IF(repeat IF) MPEG4 rolls out on sched.(i.e. early Nov.) you probably won't be waiting too long in the Twin Cities-if i had to guess maybe late 1st/early 2nd Q of 2006.

from what i gleaned from the MPEG4 thread your Tivo will work for any & all MPEG2 programming & until D* finishes the conversion to M-4, sched. by 2007(but i've seen no indication of WHEN in 2007. looks like you might get a good 18-20 mons. use out of it yet. UNLESS-

D* offers a good deal on swapping out an M-4 capable DVR. months away from any details on that issue. i don't have a DVR of any kind so i'm watchin' & waitin'.

jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.